• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

** VOTE FOR eGullet.com in the TOP 100 Culinary Sites! **

Quote: from Niall on 8:11 pm on Jan. 15, 2002

Now at 45...  with 4357 votes..  thats an average of 4.92....  that has to be one of the highest average scores!!! Even the mighty number one has a paltry 4.31 average.

When they first started the list they used to show the average vote for everyone. This led to some real in-fighting and tactical voting. Vote 5 for your own site and vote 1 for the site you were competing with. Then even if they had a higher score you could console yourself with the fact that the average was poor. This led to several people leaving the list even though they were at the top because it was generating a lot of hate mail. There was blood everywhere.

I don't mind if you vote for my site by the way - before eGullet or www.recipes4us.com knock me down!

Quote: from Kristian on 1:54 am on Jan. 16, 2002

One (more) thing bothers me in this ranking list. As far as I can say, they have NOT removed the 25 lowest ranking sites from the end of the list during this time that we have been voting. Weren't they supposed to that every month? :angry:

This is down to you (the users of Chef2Chef) - if you don't nominate replacement sites then they cannot replace the bottom ones. This has happened a few times now.

. . . . . but does eGullet want to risk competition?

Quote: from Steve Klc on 7:22 pm on Jan. 15, 2002

I'm so with Bux and jhlurie on this one--criticizing the design, layout, flow, logic and aesthetics of a website is fair game--and just because a site has something to do with a chef or recipes doesn't give it a free pass.

Perhaps I didn't put my point over too well. What I was trying to say was don't just be critical for the sake of it. If the design is bad you can say so as it is fair game and hopefully constructive - but if the content is good say so also.

I know there are people who criticise my site both for its design and content and from time to time I get a spate of real hate mail (some weird people out there). You just have to get a thick skin - I chose to expose myself on the internet so I must take what goes with the territory although I would like to see more encouragement for people that are striving rather than just outright criticism.

Quote: from HubUK on 6:08 am on Jan. 20, 2002

. . . . but does eGullet want to risk competition?

In truth I don't think we care that much.  You may have missed the earlier part of this thread where we established that the chef2chef was a fine joke indeed... one we are willing to contribute 2 minutes a day to... but still mostly just a lark.  If you have an official relationship with chef2chef, I apologize for how this sounds, but the truth is most of the contributors here see it as no more than an amusing diversion.

As a side benefit it has brought eGullet a few good contributors, but I don't think the numbers have been huge.  Just as an informal observer of the rate of user registrations, I've noticed that the rate seems to have been fairly constant since even before the whole chef2chef "contest".

As for your site's aesthetics... it looks fine.  Don't worry so much!

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Another "truth" is that a comparison of eGullet to most of the other cuisine sites on chef2chef is like comparing apples to oranges.  

eGullet, being a message board (instead of a article or recipe archive) is a different kind of experience.  In fact, chef2chef itself is actually more of a competitor than most places, since they have at least rudimentary message boards.  That, and the "dreaded" website named after a dog who eats...

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

eGullet continues to surge in the rankings, but Rosie's feeling the heat of the fast rising bitsys kitchen. Just 350 votes keep bitsys from taking Rosie's #11 position

Remember, vote early, vote often, vote for both

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Yes, they finally just noticed they are at the bottom and are starting a campaign to catch up to us. Lets show them who's boss :)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Gah. I'm so petty. I'll do it.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Bon's Ramen site is running neck and neck with Holly and also deserves support. With Rosie's site and this site, that's four eGullet sites on the list along with a couple of contributors.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Yikes, Rosie, where'd that site come from?

You'd almost think they had a bunch of maniacs going from computer to computer, voting, and voting.

Holly's moving up in the listings, as well.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

In the excitement, your spelling slipped. I think that's Oy Vay :(

OK Rosie, the SWAT team is at hand. I forget which of those sites overtook you, but them and us is gonna overtake the next one up within a few days. I am poisenally kicking in 60 votes a week, so it looks a soitenty to me :)

Uh 'cause it only lets you vote once a day?

I suppose some people who log in through AOL, for example, may be able to vote each time they dial in. But for those of us with direct connections it really only lets you vote once in 24 hours. Sometimes if I reboot my machine it'll let me vote again, but not all the time.

Chef2chef doesn't use cookies, which would be an easy way for them to track usage.

I think they track it by IP address. I voted (ummn) last night from the cable modem and comcast address, rebooting three times, and the system allowed me in each time.

It looks like AOL must use the IP address created for the ISP's  boot, rahter than th eindividual logon to AOL. I logged off AOL, and logged back on, and the chef system wouldn't let me vote again.

Tonight, I'll see if I can duplicate the cable modem access. We may be installing new network software at work next week, so perhaps I can tag along as our tech people check the network connections on 50 machines...

rancho gordo

Quote: from Rail Paul on 1:22 pm on Jan. 31, 2002

We may be installing new network software at work next week, so perhaps I can tag along as our tech people check the network connections on 50 machines...

The way to get away with that is to say that the Internet connections on all of those PCs have to be verified.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Connections need to be verified...

They'd prob be logging on to nakednews.com if it wasn't an offlimits/404 site. By my checking the network links, they get another 10 minute smoke break, which brings them up to about 57 minutes of breaks per  hour...

rancho gordo