• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tujagues (NOLA, French Quarter)

Jason Perlow

Tujague's Restaurant

823 Decatur St, New Orleans, LA 70116

Phone: (504) 525-8676

Click here for Tujague's website.

i1105.jpg

Jambalaya

i1106.jpg

Bread Pudding

i1107.jpg

Their historic mirror over the bar

i1109.jpg

Exterior on Decatur

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

We were told to go to Tujagues for dinner. We should have listened to that advice. Lunch is a three course affair with three choices for your main course. We hadn't had jambalaya at that point in our visit, so we both ordered it. It was too lightly seasoned and devoid of protein. It was described as having shrimp, sausage and chicken. I got one piece of chicken (and I don't mean piece like a whole drumstick or something, I mean one bite of chicken), a few specks of sausage, and a sprinkling of itty-bitty shrimp. The meal opened nicely enough with a delicious spinach and crab soup, but the salad was pitiful (pickled vegetables on top of watery, undressed, lettuce). We were then offered coffee and dessert, as if it were part of the prix-fixe. It isn't. The bread pudding was just OK to boot.

Dinner is supposed to be a more elaborate, six-course affair. Which sounds interesting as it includes their signature beef dish. And the service was very good (except for the lack of explanation regarding dessert). My verdict? Go for dinner or order the fish at lunch time (that looked very good).

I concur with Rachel's sentiments about the Jambalaya. Don't go for lunch at Tujagues, do dinner.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Last time I was there (March) we devoured a roast chicken covered in garlic cloves and served w/thick homemade potato chips.

I don't think it's on their menu---but we were with some friends who know to ask for it--ate it in the bar (we were able to grab one of the few tables).

It was absolutely delicious--I'd recommend asking for it if you don't want to mess with lunch or can't stay for dinner.

That place always becomes our home base/place to meet up with friends. Great bartenders. The pics bring back great memories.

Challah back!