• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Central Grocery (NOLA, French Quarter)

I hear you man... but 66 bucks for -two- Muffalettas? That shipping is a killer. Are they shipping them in dry ice or something?

I happen to think that 60 bucks for the 40lbs of Satsumas from Simon Citrus Farm is a hue bargain by comparison...

I saw the 2/$66 and also thought it was very high. Not that it's a huge difference, but I think they had the same two sandwiches for $44 if two-day shipping was acceptable. At least that's what I took from the website.

Also, there was good article in the The Washington Post about Liedenhiemer bread being used in several D.C. restaurants, though it was for now coming from a Chicago outpost. Sorry I don't have the exact link.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

Also, there was good article in the The Washington Post about Liedenhiemer bread being used in several D.C. restaurants, though it was for now coming from a Chicago outpost. Sorry I don't have the exact link.

Thanks,

Kevin

Leidenheimer's article.

There is one point that is not very well made here. Ann Cashion has been buying all of her poboy bread from Leidenheimer's in NO since the day that they opened Cashion's and later Johnny's. Several times a week deliveries by overnight air. It's not cheap and it's not frozen, but it's the best bread for the things and that's all she really cares about.

After the storm, about a month ago, a group of us put together a bread line to get the stuff (basically we were going to pick it up a couple of times a week and ship it for her, as that's the reason that Leidenheimer's couldn't get it out). It turns out that they are only making enough, at the moment, for local consumption and they could not supply anyone out of town. Even customers that they have had for years.

And, actually, while it's not the same, the report is that the stuff is pretty good. Were I in DC, I would go eat one. No problem. Happily, as a matter of fact.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Tremor:

Thanks for that link to the French Market Coffee Co. I've been drinking their Coffee with Chicory ever since I was in NOLA for a convention in 1988. It's kind of hard to find around here and I had never seen, nor heard of, the City Roast variety. So I just took advantage of their 6 for 5 online offer and ordered some.

Brooks:

I am one of your legion of fans :wub: and truly appreciate your taking the time to keep us informed on what's going on.

Just spoke with the guys at Central Grocery. They are re-opening on Thursday morning. They asked for a week's time to get up and running, to see how busy they are and what staff members stick around, and then they'll start UPS-ing the muffalettas.

I know what we're having for Christmas Eve dinner. Oh, happy day.

I suppose I know what's for lunch on Thursday. I have guests in town and I can send one of them back with a big sandwich to stink up the plane. The airlines love that.

Hmmm....well I saw mayhaw man's post on another thread from about a week ago that indicated Progress Grocery was back in business and just placed an order for muffalettas to arrive on Friday. Yum! Yup - very expensive at $66 for 2 but I'm not getting to New Orleans any time soon and that's a lot cheaper than a plane ticket. I ordered them overnight delivery versus 2 day ground - not knowing how they pack the things, not sure I want a two day old sandwich.

As soon as someone has info on how to place orders with Central, please post. I'll try theirs out too. I have some friends and relatives I send food stuffs to every holiday - usually ordering stuff from Williams Sonoma, Dean & Deluca or Neiman Marcus (aka Needless markups). I thought this year I would try to find foodstuffs that could help support Louisiana or Mississippi businesses instead.

Mayhaw Man, if you have the energy to do it, it would be great to start a thread with links to or phone numbers for Louisiana and Mississippi businesses that will ship their foodstuffs.

Mayhaw Man, if you have the energy to do it, it would be great to start a thread with links to or phone numbers for Louisiana and Mississippi businesses that will ship their foodstuffs.

I am involved in a project with Southern Foodways Alliance, right now, doing just that. As soon as we are done (next day or two) I will post a link.

• 1 month later...