• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Farmer's Market (NOLA, French Quarter)

Farmer's Market, next to the historic French Market

501 Decatur St, New Orleans, LA 70130

i1088.jpg

i1089.jpg

i1090.jpg

i1091.jpg

i1092.jpg

i1093.jpg

i1094.jpg

i1095.jpg

i1096.jpg

i1097.jpg

i1098.jpg

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The only thing I can say about the Farmers Market is if you are already on that part of Decatur street, maybe hanging out at Cafe Du Monde, you can waste a half hour checking this place out. Otherwise its a complete tourist trap -- its all these stands selling overpriced hot sauces (although the selection is very good) and spices that you can buy cheaper at Central Grocery across the street.

This is not to say its a complete waste of time -- you can buy a bag of 10 satsuma oranges for 2 bucks. The few actual fruit vendors they have are worth looking at and buying stuff from.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Mmm, satsumas. We should have brought some home, can't find them in NJ. They're seedless tangerines that practically jump out of their peel. Eat'm in about 2 bites

One of the other reasons I'm looking forward to going home for Christmas. There's a tree in my mom's yard. As long as they don't get a killing frost between now and then, they will still be fine come Christmas. The older I get, the more I have cravings for these things.

By the way, the mandarin oranges in cans that you can get from the grocery store are the same thing, peeled and in syrup. They are also called clementines in some markets. They are available, and just about any store can get them. They are grown all along the gulf coast.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Rachel,

I wasted a whole bunch of that fine fruit last night in some pies, but no matter, the veg. stand guy has plenty more at 5 bucks a sack (about twenty five or so to a bag).

Burnt Pie Tale

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

The Crescent City Farmers Market on Saturdays is the true farmers market in New Orleans. It is at Girod and Camp. The market in the French Quarter is for all the touristas. When I lived in the City, saturday mornings were always spent seeing what was new.

And the local market here in Tulsa has Satsumas this morning. I will be back for more this afternoon. They will not last long.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!