• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hmm...need a liquor rec...

tryska

decided to switch up my recipe a bit and use golden raisins and cardamom, alongside vanilla.

what liquor can i use for the sauce?

does bourbon still go?

perhaps brandy?

or should it be rum?

Edited by tryska (log)

Yes, Maker's Mark and bread pudding are very good.

Although I'm enjoying Maker's Mark in of itself, I couldn't enjoy bread pudding, naked and without this spiritous addition. :raz:

Brandy is wonderful, but I tend to use that more towards Christmastime -- not very far away.

If you have the time and ingredients to experiment, you could try this. (Since cardamom is the strongest flavor, I think that's the flavor to match.) Mix a little cardamom with some sugar and make some "cardamom toast" (like you'd make cinnamom toast but with the cardamom mixture). Then taste it with a sip of brandy. Repeat with a bite of toast and a sip of bourbon, then with rum.

Then you can tell if any of the three is a particularly good match, or if one or more of them definitely don't work.

i've got no problem running that experiment. :biggrin:

actually i just scored a free bottle of erm..kosher nutella-analog from work.

i've decided to do a chocolate-hazelnut icebox pie for t-day instead.

but like i said, ii will gladly test different alcohols to discern which goes best with cardamom. in the name of science of course. :wink: