• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hilarious Holiday Hijinks

tryska

Me, I have to work that day. I'll be having a turkeyish substance from a hospital cafeteria. Ya'll be thankful about getting to be with friends and family. Frozen rolls ain't so bad.

i'm sorry to hear that.

on the bright side, you'll most likely get to have jello.

if you're up to making that 10-hour trip to Atlanta, we'd be happy to have ya!

if you're up to making that 10-hour trip to Atlanta, we'd be happy to have ya!

Heck, it's closer than that. I'm in Birmingham. Atlanta is closer than the Sister-in-law. She's buying dinner for the family from WinnDixie. Already cooked.

The problem is I'm the one on call for Thanksgiving. I had to be on call for one holiday, so this one is mine.

So, I'll take my chances with the cafeteria. They treat people well on the holidays...

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

this is true - whenever i've had to work on a holiday the employers always been gracious.

it's a shame you're on call tho - it's really easy to get to our house from I-20.

btw - you threw me off with the roux and the LSU ref in your sig. i'd forgotten about the food festival thread.

Edited by tryska (log)

just to give a quick update - roomie has had time to process and digest the goings on of last week, and the menu has been tweaked somewhat.

she's ditching lemon meringue in flavor of flan, and i ditched the bread pudding in favor a gianduia pie.

we also made stock this weekend - it's in the fridge forming a fat layer at the moment - tonight i will defat, give it a final seiving and reduce it.

might also make roux tonight, if i'm feeling ambitious - didn't have time this weekend.

we actually used the larger one - 8 qt, i think.

i used turkey necks, onion, celery, carrot, a dash of kosher salt, cracked multicolor pepper, and dried sage, rosemary, thyme, marjoram and a little savory and parsley.

it worked out wonderfully - did my shopping on saturday morning, started the stock around 4pm, set it on high, got ready for my date, and turned it to low at 7pm, jsut before he arrived. ate a fabulous meal at Nuevo Laredo, btw.

turned it off sunday around 10:30am, let it cool til noon, seived it several times and put it in a more manageable pot and stuck it in the fridge. it's a lovely clear dark brown and smells wonderful.

Edited by tryska (log)