• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

restaurants near Glasgow

going home to Kilmarnock (west coast of Scotland, about 20 minutes south of Glasgow) for Christmas. to take the pressure off the holiday kitchen (ie me + my mother), I'm volunteering to take The Family out for lunch or dinner. Places my folks like to go include:

Craigie Inn, Craigie

Cochrane Inn, Gatehead

Lochgreen House, Troon

Highgrove House, Troon

and (my personal favourite)

Braidwoods outside Dalry (quail stuffed with black pudding, mmm)

So not massively high-end, but not cafes either. But they've been to all of these about a million times. We may have exhausted the area, but does anyone have any suggestions for similar places within about a 40-minute radius of Glasgow (pref south)?

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

does anyone have any suggestions for similar places within about a 40-minute radius of Glasgow (pref south)?

Fi

Forty minutes by:

1. Walking

2. Car.

3. Train.

4. Concord

5. Tied to an ICBM?

Options 4 and 5 I can help you with. 1-3, I think you might need to take a bunch of us and show us what's good. :biggrin:

Andy might know... (I'll see if I can get him down here...)

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

it is a bit of a foodie wasteland round Kilmarnock. Still, we have the joyous factoids that

(a) they blend Johnny Walker in the town; and

(b) Prestwick Airport is the only place in Scotland Elvis ever visited, hence the marvellously originally named 'Elvis Bar' on the first floor

um - that's it, actually. sigh. Still, there'll be Aunty Christine's legendary clootie dumpling.

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

why don't you go into glasgow? plenty of choice there?

Because we have more family who live in Glasgow who would be genuinely hurt if we didn't go there for dinner, instead of "wasting our money on that swanky place."

So - no Amaryllis for me - again. Sobs quietly into keyboard. Maybe I can do a stealth attack lunch when I'm at the sales.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

(b) Prestwick Airport is the only place in Scotland Elvis ever visited, hence the marvellously originally named 'Elvis Bar' on the first floor

Apart from Germany, I was under the impression that it was the only place outside of the USA that Elvis ever visited. I could be wrong though.

Blame the colonel... :wink: