• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Puerto Rican Cookies?

My mom had these cookies she adored when she honeymooned in Puerto Rico in the 70s. She has been searching for these cookies for as long as I can remember. The only problem is that she can't remember their name (someone told her they might be called "Saladitas"). They might not be Puerto Rican in origen (that's just where she happened to come across them). Here's the description she gave me:

- Similar in texture (cracker-like) and shape (round) to the "Maria" cracker/cookies -- but they aren't marias; she's tried the Marias over and over hoping that they are the ones.

- Very pale blond in color (almost white)

- She says that she thinks she remembers a subtle lemon flavor

- The ones she had came in a square metal tin

I know that's not much info to go on but any help you could give in naming these cookies (and a brand, if possible) would be greatly appreciated -- if I could find them I think it would make a great gift for her. Thanks! :smile:

"I like butter and the people who like butter." -TA

• 2 weeks later...

Mantecaditos or Polvorones are round and can be almost white or pale. but somehow your description does not match them. Mantecaditos are sweet and of crumbly texture often topped by guava paste or color sprinkles. I don't know if they are from here but it is the only place that i have seen them. If you provide me with more info perhaps I could be of more help.

Mantecaditos recipe

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much for your help. I just got off the phone with her to clarify the description.

She mentioned that they weren't really sweet at all and therefore may be considered a cracker instead of a cookie. She said they did not have scalloped edges or writing stamped in them like maria's do (though they do have the holes).

She likened them to "traditional milk crackers but with taste." She ate them smeared with butter while she was in puerto rico.

She said also that they were slightly thicker than Maria's. She mentioned her ex brother-in-law (who lived in puerto rico for awhile) told her they were called "Sultanas" and not "saladitas." Does this description match that of a Sultana?

I've been on a mad search through almost every latin american grocery I go past to try to find these but only just glanced down the savory cracker aisles. I'm going to start up my search, concentrating on that area now :)

Thank you very much for your help. I just got off the phone with her to clarify the description.

She mentioned that they weren't really sweet at all and therefore may be considered a cracker instead of a cookie. She said they did not have scalloped edges or writing stamped in them like maria's do (though they do have the holes).

She likened them to "traditional milk crackers but with taste." She ate them smeared with butter while she was in puerto rico.

She said also that they were slightly thicker than Maria's. She mentioned her ex brother-in-law (who lived in puerto rico for awhile) told her they were called "Sultanas" and not "saladitas." Does this description match that of a Sultana?

I've been on a mad search through almost every latin american grocery I go past to try to find these but only just glanced down the savory cracker aisles. I'm going to start up my search, concentrating on that area now :)

LEMON SULTANA SCONES

225 g. (8 oz.) plain flour

4 tsp. baking powder

1 tbsp. sugar (optional)

50 g. (2 oz.) butter

Grated rind of 1/2 a lemon

50 g. (2 oz.) sultanas

125 ml. (4 fl. oz.) milk

1 egg

Preheat oven to 220 degrees C (425 degrees F). Sift flour, baking powder and sugar, if used, into a bowl, then rub in the butter until mixture is like bread crumbs. Add lemon rind and sultanas.

Beat the milk and egg together; reserve 2-3 tablespoons. Gradually stir the rest into the mixture with a knife until it forms a soft dough. Lightly knead on a floured surface until smooth.

Roll into an oblong about 2.5 cm. (1 inch) thick and cut out 7.5 cm. (2 1/2 inch) rounds. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet and leave to stand 10-15 minutes. Dust with flour or glaze with egg and milk. Bake 8-10 minutes until golden. Cool on wire rack 10 minutes before serving.

I think the sultanas in that scone recipe are referring to sultana raisins (??). The Sultana crackers I'm referring to are the name of a specific brand or style of crackers.

Thank you for the recipe though -- it sounds good :smile:

Sultana is a local brand of soda crackers. Rectangular without salt. Not sweet either. Like saltines without salt but crisper. They come in a yellow metal box or they used to. Another brand that makes a similar product is Rovira. Sultana used to be omnipresent in local households during my childhood. I don't think that they are as popular today.