• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fried Brain Sandwiches - St. Louis

Sweet Willie

I’ve read about fried brain sandwiches in St. Louis.

The opening paragraph to Lycos.com Travel on St. Louis is the following:

When they're not boasting about their city and chiding tourists who call it "St. Louie," locals at the pubs along Route 66 merrily toast the Cardinals over tasty fried-brain sandwiches. It's a St. Louis thing.

Two places I believe serve the fried brain sandwiches are:

CAFÉ MANHATTAN

Dieckmeyer’s

Anyone had one? And how was it?

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

I leave for st. louis on Wednesday. If I have time to check it out I will!!!

I just did a little Google research. It appears that Dieckmeyer's is closed, but the Back Door (9538 Gravois Rd) and Ferguson's Pub (2925 Mt. Pleasant) both serve them as well as Cafe Manhattan (listed above).

Check out the Lowlife Guide to St. Louis for more on brain sandwiches and other St. Louis greasy spoons. The Eat Rite looks freaking awesome.

Hal

Edited by halland (log)

Check out the Lowlife Guide to St. Louis for more on brain sandwiches and other St. Louis greasy spoons. The Eat Rite looks freaking awesome.

That Eat-Rite does look good, wonder if they serve the loose meat (sloppy joes) that the Maid Rite places do?

I liked the link you provided, gotta love those old neon signs for some of those places.

PLEASE let me know how those fried-brain sandwiches are if you do get the chance, I'm thinking of making a trip to St. Louis just to try those and some BBQ.

I had read about this place as well in the St. Louis area, called Gator Flats

Gator Flats is located on Long Road at the edge of Chesterfield's Spirit of St. Louis Airport. Inside the deli and convenience store you'll find shelves filled with a wide selection of market items, from cleaning supplies to canned soups, along with beer, wine and soft drinks.

There's hardly any room to dine in at Gator Flats (one booth and a couple of standing-room-only, bar-height tables are nestled among grocery shelves), but carryout business is brisk, catering requests are increasing and the deli delivers within a five-mile radius.

Paul Allen Marsh owns and operates the business, which opened in 2000. But Marsh says that Ada Love, who cooks the deli's popular home-style food, is "the heart of Gator Flats."

The day begins early at Gator Flats. Breakfast is available from 5-10:30 a.m., with great prices on a variety of country-style breakfast specials.

Gator Goulash ($4.29) features two biscuits, egg, hash browns and bacon or sausage smothered in gravy. The Gator Flats "Hammer" ($2.19) is a breakfast sandwich with egg and cheese on a biscuit or bread, with your choice of bacon, sausage or ham. Biscuits and gravy are available for $1.39, and a few more specials and sides round out the breakfast offerings.

Lunch starts early, too. By 10:30 a.m., the regular lineup of four or five weekday lunch specials is available, including pot roast ($4.59) on Mondays, Reubens ($3.79) on Tuesdays, tequila lime wings ($3.69) on Wednesdays and meatloaf plates ($4.79) on Thursdays.

We sampled one of Friday's specials, the blackened red snapper ($6.79), and it was terrific. The moist snapper was perfectly cooked and retained its distinctive delicacy. It was also glazed with a zesty and delicious "swamp sauce" from Marsh's own secret recipe. The snapper was served on a bed of rice made colorful by bits of red onion, red bell pepper and celery. It wasn't hard to understand why the dish won second place in the 2003 Cajun Cook-off, besting the fare of many chefs with culinary degrees.

Our snapper came with surprisingly tasty cole slaw, a great improvement over the mediocre versions that are so commonplace. Gator Flats' slaw was fresh, full of crunch, very nicely seasoned and lively with confetti-cut carrot and brightly colored vegetable bits. Au gratin potatoes or macaroni and cheese served as an additional side dish. We chose the potatoes and liked the warm, cheesy comfort food.

Gator Flats also offers barbecue hamburgers ($1.99), barbecue beef and ham sandwiches ($3.29, Monday-Thursday), soups and chili ($2.99) and fried-chicken baskets ($3.99). The fried-chicken basket included a breast, a thigh and a drumstick, with a crunchy, rather thick golden-brown coating encasing the moist and meaty pieces of chicken. The chicken was served with a country-style biscuit and two large wedges of fried potato, which were pleasantly soft inside. It was truly a home-style treat.

Gator Flats

Address: 119 Long Road in Chesterfield

Phone: 636-537-8545

Hours: 5-10:30 a.m. (breakfast) and 10:30-1 p.m. (hot lunch) Monday-Friday; 6-10:30 a.m. (breakfast) Saturday; cold cuts available in the afternoons; closed Sunday

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They had a story on the local news about brain sandwiches since the Mad Cow incident and some of the restaurants that had them on the menu have taken them off due to health concerns.

Jay Leno was talking about brain sandwiches the other night and said "With Mad Cow, anyone who eats a brain sandwich has less intellegence than the brain they are eating."

This could be the end of a great St. Louis tradition.

Alan Kwiatek

• 4 months later...

I just did a little Google research. It appears that Dieckmeyer's is closed, but the Back Door (9538 Gravois Rd) and Ferguson's Pub (2925 Mt. Pleasant) both serve them as well as Cafe Manhattan (listed above).

Hal

bumping.....