• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Most Useless Kitchen Items and Utensils

fresco

I also regularly use a garlic press, and we are forever needing more wine charms.

And I'm pretty curous about a shrimp deveiner. Sounds like something useful.

But I have a mushroom brush that I've never used.

Anyone want to trade?

Bruce

I have a tea ball, and haven't made tea in years. But since it is  made of non reactive metal, I have found it very useful as a garni holder in soups. It actually works great for this purpose.

Exactly. Through wrapping in cheese-cloth or, for large bunches of herbs, between two pieces of leek wrapped with twine work just as well and i the latter case, better.

Kitchen gadgets are the Devil's Marital Aids.

Garlic press? That's the heel of your hand if yer of right mind.

Putting down yer chef's knife to get some gadget out of the drawer, fumble with it, do the deed poorly because yer using some fancy-schmansy irrelevant bit of stuff to do it with costs more time than to just do it.

Which gap then opens the hole in yer soul that allows microwaving pre-digested roasts and meat-loafs for ten minutes* make sense.

Just raise yer knives and wave off the aggressors called "convenience".

*New. From Maple Leaf. Ten dollars for a roast the size of yer palm which should be rightly smacking yerself in the forehead.

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

And I defy anyone to prove to me that finely minced garlic tastes any different when pushed through a press or when minced with a knife.

I don't think it has anything to do with taste. In the amount of time it takes to slice the garlic to place it in the press and squeeze, you can mince a clove. Plus, there's less to clean up.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Probably from the same home demonstration thingy I have this hopeless cutter thing that has a wavy patterned blade. It is supposed to make "wavy cut vegetables for an attractive crudite tray". It was so big and klutzy and I never used it. So I threw it in the yard.

I had high hopes for the Kyocera julienne slicer. I had visions of mounds of julienne jicama slaw. It doesn't work, unless you are trying to make jicama or carrot juice. At that price I should send it back. :angry:

I did return the Kyocera julienne slicer I bought at Williams Sonoma. The regular slicer works ok - but the julienne doesn't. I am into Ebay sales for anything that can no longer be returned - but which I think can fetch $10 or more. Robyn

I did return the Kyocera julienne slicer I bought at Williams Sonoma. The regular slicer works ok - but the julienne doesn't.

Oh good. Then it wasn't just me. :biggrin:

How does a company like Kyocera make such a no-good product? How can a company like Williams Sonoma actually sell something like that? Doesn't someone try this stuff before they crank up the manufacturing and marketing? Sheesh.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I did return the Kyocera julienne slicer I bought at Williams Sonoma.  The regular slicer works ok - but the julienne doesn't.

How does a company like Kyocera make such a no-good product? How can a company like Williams Sonoma actually sell something like that? Doesn't someone try this stuff before they crank up the manufacturing and marketing? Sheesh.

ming seems to endorse it. :shock:

Wine Clip.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

It's been a couple hours. You'd think Mr. Clip would've shown up here to defend himself by now.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

I did return the Kyocera julienne slicer I bought at Williams Sonoma.  The regular slicer works ok - but the julienne doesn't.

ming seems to endorse it. :shock:

They probably made him take on the whole line or they wouldn't let him use their knives anymore. :biggrin:

The knives rock. My nephew has one. The only problem is, it makes me nervous. One drop to that tile floor and bye-bye expensive knife. I have the yoke style peeler and it is pretty good, too.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Grapefruit knives. Plural. Not a fan of grapefruit. My father has a thing for buying odd, often useless gifts for people - and once he's decided something is a successful gift he will often repeat several times.

I keep trying to find something useful to do with them. Art, perhaps.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Wine Clip.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

It's been a couple hours. You'd think Mr. Clip would've shown up here to defend himself by now.

He was booted off eGullet.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

My most useless = a bread knife with an attached guide to facilitate uniform slicing. We had one in my childhood home (a Magna Knife, if memory serves) that I thought was the coolest thing since, well, sliced bread. I'm sure I bought it out of misdirected nostalgia, given that I had two bread knives already. It hasn't left the drawer since.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

And I defy anyone to prove to me that finely minced garlic tastes any different when pushed through a press or when minced with a knife.

I don't think it has anything to do with taste. In the amount of time it takes to slice the garlic to place it in the press and squeeze, you can mince a clove. Plus, there's less to clean up.

Nope, nope, nope. At least, not for me. My local grocer peels my garlic for me. If I want 2 or 3 cloves, it takes me a total of 6 or 7 seconds to mince it with a press, and 3 seconds to clean before popping it in the dishwasher. Getting out a cutting board, making sure that it's the one for "aromatics", smashing the garlic, mincing it, scraping it into the pan, and then washing knife and board (by hand) takes far, far longer for me.

Now if I want sliced garlic, or coarsely chopped garlic, that's an entirely different matter.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Grapefruit knives. Plural. Not a fan of grapefruit. My father has a thing for buying odd, often useless gifts for people - and once he's decided something is a successful gift he will often repeat several times.

I use mine to section a grapefruit. Wouldn't give it up.

How do you section a grapefruit without one, at least without losing most of the pulp?

Nope, nope, nope. At least, not for me. My local grocer peels my garlic for me. If I want 2 or 3 cloves, it takes me a total of 6 or 7 seconds to mince it with a press, and 3 seconds to clean before popping it in the dishwasher. Getting out a cutting board, making sure that it's the one for "aromatics", smashing the garlic, mincing it, scraping it into the pan, and then washing knife and board (by hand) takes far, far longer for me.

Now if I want sliced garlic, or coarsely chopped garlic, that's an entirely different matter.

I'm completely with Varmint on this one.

I also buy the pre-peeled whole cloves of garlic and I also use the garlic press quite a bit, especially if it is going in something I that I don't want to have small chunks of garlic.

It takes a REALLY long time (if not impossible) to mince garlic to the consistency that a press will provide.

That said there are times that I want slices of garlic or pieces of garlic with a little bite - then its the 10 inch chefs knife.

My first reaction to my most useless piece of equipment was also the shrimp deveiner. I use a very small scissors like from a manicure set (never used for the intended purpose) to do the job. I think I got the idea from Alton Brown.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

Mine is a garlic peeler. Little rubber $6 tube that a friend talked me into buying. It's so awkward. I just smash the garlic with my knife or something handy and heavy and get on with it.

And then there was the cheese slicer. Little Y shaped thing with a wire. Egads. Just cut your cheese with a knife! That one bit the dust long ago.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

one of those "as seen on TV" combo wisk/tong things.

a gift from my mother. she said it was useless, but since they had 2 for some reason, i needed to take one. i might find a use for the useless thing.

actually maybe i could use it as a litter scoop, now that i think about it.

Edited by tryska (log)

I with Varmint - I wouldn't be without my garlic press.

I have a pretty useless garlic peeler as well - there's one brand that's pretty good for when you have to do a lot of garlic, but it's not the one I own, which I got as a freebie somewhere. The one I have sucks - I may even have thrown it away.

My garlic roaster is pretty useless. But I think the most useless thing I have is this little metal egg poacher thing. You stand it up in a pot of water and crack an egg in it so it stays together when poaching. There are little holes in the bottom to allow the water to drain out. At least, I think that's how it works - I've never used it and can't for the life of me remember where I got it.

After my recent move, it's been exiled to a box in the basement destined for our next garage sale.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I have never once ever, in my entire life, experienced "wine confusion".  Does anybody really use these things?

you've never lost track of your glass when there are 3 or 4 on a table? i have, and i use those things whenever i think of it. the problem is, i always forget which freakin charm i am.

Why not use those giant red plastic cups and write names on them with a Sharpie? Worked in college. :laugh::laugh:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

The garlic press that I recieved when I got married has been used all of one or two times. I have moved it to three different houses and two apartments in the last twenty years. I have no idea why. :blink:

I have a tea ball, and haven't made tea in years. But since it is made of non reactive metal, I have found it very useful as a garni holder in soups. It actually works great for this purpose.

I have a top o' the line ricer that I need to put in someone's garage sale. Pain in the ass to use and worse to clean up. What's the point?

I'm feeling like such a schmo, but I'm actually muttering to myself, "Hmmm. I need a tea ball. I couldn't find one when I needed one the other day. Hmmm. I have been eyeing a ricer for months, but my wife says it's too much money. I want a ricer."

The most useless thing in my kitchen? A cast iron corn-bread mold shaped like fish. Attractive, yes; but heavy, difficult to clean, and cornbread baked in it doesn't actually look like fish.

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"