• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Goose Breasts

Schneier

Are you going to bone out the breast?

A stuffing of apples,cabbage,potatoes and renbered bacon is wonderful,

Just make lardons of the bacon and render,then add some minced shallot,diced yukon potatoes and savouy cabbage.Slowly cook this down until you have some nice caramalzation,season with salt and black pepper and cool.Make a cavity in the breast and fiil,tie with twine and roast over a miro poix to make a quick pan sauce.

If the breast seems tough (wild game) you can butterfly it,pound it to tenderize,then roll like a jellyroll.

Edit to add,you should add a bit of fresh breadcrumbs to the mix.

Edited by Brad S (log)

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

If your wild goose breasts were properly removed they shoulde be boneless and chilled and kept cold, then you are faced witha choice. Wild goose breasts have NO fat, period and are red like beef. They are in no way like a domestic goose. The way we eat them is to marinate in Dale's marinade(soy/ginger based) and sear and then in a hot oven until rare(you canlet them rest a couple of minutes), really rare. If not rare ,you will have tough piece of meat and no one will eat it. If your diners don't like rare meat, you can slow cook them in a sour cream based mixture unitil you essentially have a mush. The choice is yours, BTW, your diners must be ready to eat and you ready to slice the moment you remove from the oven because they will continue to cook. -Dick

Edited by budrichard (log)

We got some wild goose breasts from a friend, and Matt simply salted them and then seared them in a very hot cast iron pan, till rare as budrichard says, and with a nice crust formed by the salting. While they rested, Matt deglazed the pan with wine and then added butter, off heat. Sliced the breasts maybe 1/4 thick, arranged, and poured sauce over. They were beautiful!

But yes, the crucial thing is they must be rare or slowcooked to oblivion.

Batgrrrl

"Shameful or not, she harbored a secret wish

for pretty, impractical garments."

Barbara Dawson Smith

*Too Wicked to Love*

Sometimes for Turkey Day and Christmas, braised a goose. It

was terrific. Started with just a grocery store goose which

was not much like a wild goose.

In your case, if you can get the rest of the goose, might make

a game stock and use it for a headstart on the gravy on Turkey

Day.

For a wild goose, would like to try braising, but this would

be a research project and not nearly yet ready for guests for

this Turkey Day!

Last efforts to get 'succulent' results from stewing chunks of

lean beef bottom round roast were based on (1) including some

vinegar (1 1/2 C standard strength vinegar with liquid to

cover about 7 pounds of stew-sized chunks of the beef) in the

cooking liquid and (2) keeping the temperature at 180 F for

about 36 hours. At times got succulent results. Some such

might work for game.

For more:

Since you have four breasts, you have 24 = 4! ways to cook

them.

To start, use Fermat's little sauce to generate two prime

quantities with over 1000 digits each and then combine them

into one key product.

Good to add a dash of RSA sauce and some PGP PKI dressing.

For serving, the platter arrangements form an abstract group

of measure preserving transformations equivalent under the

hypothesis that the breasts are all equally tender.

Good results are challenging, non-deterministic, but not

NP-complete.

What would be the right food and wine to go with

R. Strauss's 'Ein Heldenleben'?

If your wild goose breasts were properly removed they shoulde be boneless and chilled and kept cold, then you are faced witha choice. Wild goose breasts have NO fat, period and are red like beef. They are in no way like a domestic goose. The way we eat them is to marinate in Dale's marinade(soy/ginger based) and sear and then in a hot oven until rare(you canlet them rest a couple of minutes), really rare. If not rare ,you will have tough piece of meat and no one will eat it. If your diners don't like rare meat, you can slow cook them in a sour cream based mixture unitil you essentially have a mush. The choice is yours, BTW, your diners must be ready to eat and you ready to slice the moment you remove from the oven because they will continue to cook. -Dick

I can do this.

How long do I sear them for?

B

• 2 months later...

I need some advice on what do with 2, close to about 10 oz. each, goose breasts I have in my freezer. My dad got them from his boss after a hunting trip. I've never cooked goose before, should I sear and then roast? I wish i could smoke it...but have no smoker. Could I marinate it and grill it? What flavors should I use? I need some help please! thanks!

Chef by trade, writer at heart.

Why don't you try stuffing one of them? One breast would serve 2 people with possible leftovers if you serve other things with it. Only do this if you have time on your hands.

Defrost one in the fridge for the day.

Remove the skin of the breast.

Put a about an ounce of dried cepes or other flavorful wild mushroom into 1/2 cup of hot water.

Render the goose fat from the skin. Put the goose skin in a saute pan and heat it up until it begins to render its juices. Over a low flame, get as much fat out of the breast as you can. Remove the skin, which should be crispy, and set aside.

Add some neutral vegetable oil to the goose fat if you need to, and mince an onion and a shallot. Over medium heat, slowly saute the onion and shallot until they're clear. Slice a lb of average white mushrooms (champignons de paris). Add these with 1/2 t. salt to your onions and shallots, and cook them over med-high heat until they render their juices and the juices are reduced to about a tablespoon.

Remove your reconstituted cepes from their water and mince them up small. Strain the water from the cepes through a coffee filter and both the cepes and their strained juice to the mixture. Add some spinach or oseille at this point. You can use 1/4 cup frozen or 2 cups fresh. Reduce again. Add 1/2 t. paprika, a pinch of ground of nutmeg, more salt and pepper to taste, and about a teasp. fresh tarragon. Optional splash of dry white vermouth. Martini extra dry that is. Reduce the liquid again.

Off heat, add enough cream (or creme fraiche if you have it) to bind it together.

Put the breast down on a cutting board skin side down. From the side, insert a sharp knife and cut as if you are trying to cut into the pages of a book, and then fold out like a book. Heap your mushroom composition on and fold it back over. It's ok if it doesn't close neatly. Place a rather large sheet of foil, or parchment into a low casserole. Carefully place the stuffed breast inside. Lay the brittle skin on top, and close up the foil or paper. Or you can wrap it similarly in a pate brise in which you have incorporated the finely minced rendered goose skin and a teaspoon extra salt. Bake at 400f / 190c for 20 mins.

I hope that whatever you decide to do with them turns out great!

:biggrin:

-lucy

My guess is that you have goose breast fillets with no skin or fat. The hunters were lazy and instead of plucking and dressing the geese, they just breasted them out.

What to do? Make a marinade using juniper berries and soy sause and perhaps some garlic and ginger. Marinate for a while and cook on the charcoal grill until medium rare (roughly 5 min's side), do not overcook or they will be tough. You might want to brush them with some olive oil or melted butter to keep them from drying out. Slice them against the grain and serve with whatever else you like. It will be similar to eating a piece of fillet mignon as the breast is all dark meat. Hopefully, the meat came from a nice migratory (as opposed to non-migratory "golf course") Canada goose.

Edited to add "Not that I have ever been this lazy myself when it comes to cleaning a goose, you could wind up with a garage full of feathers."

Edited by mnebergall (log)

You're right mnebergall, I do believe the breast has no fat on it. I'm discovering from other posts that goose breast is served like you described, grilled or seared to med-rare, either that or cooked to oblivion until it's mush. I'm cooking for my family, and I don't think they're too keen on eating such a rare piece of meat, but I would try it! I will be cooking it this weekend, thanks for the suggestion, I'll let you know how it goes,

Leah

Edited by Seattlegirlychef (log)

Chef by trade, writer at heart.

Cut it in half and cook one properly and the other to oblivion (by the way, if cooked to oblivion, it will not have the consistency of mush, more like shoe leather). Because the meat is dark, it will not have the red "rare-medium rare" color of beef. I recommend some wild rice with this.