• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beaujolais Nouveau 2003

tommy

The only one we stock is the Chateau Chambon (M. LaPierre)

TN: 2003

Sour cherries and a hint of flint. The unmistakable stench of CM (grape Bubblelicious).

Nice cute lasting finish.

I am hungover like no tormorrow and this is perfect.

The color is pretty, a smashed dark violet smeared on the pavement during rain.

Today in Chicago it is warm,almost tropical and winter lurks in the back- a chill that threatens and snow is imminent.

A little swirl and the glass yields a snitch of garrigue.

Also the tinniest smidge of herbaciousness, bergamot maybe straining to release itself from bon bon land. :huh:

ooooh. And cherry mike n' ikes. remember those. I used to eat them after swimming at the Y. We are going there tonight.

Arevoir y'all.

over it

i had 2 tonite, plus one from California, just for shits 'n giggles.

Georges Deboeuf 2003 $7.99:

First thought: Bubbleyum (oddly, that changed, somehow, to Bubblelicious after a few more sips, but i see Carema stole that descriptor :angry::biggrin: ). cherry Bubbleyum. Nice acidity. Red/purple berries.

Beringer 2003 (California) $6.99:

slightly less acidic than the GD. a bit of earth. almost woody, with some notes of tobacco. as it opened up, some herbaceousness came out. a very drinkable wine, much to my surprise.

Durdilly 2003 $8.99:

no nose to speak of. very mellow acidity. little to no finish. where's the fruit?

the beringer is my favorite so far, but that has nothing to do with this thread.

GD definitely has the most festive label of these 3.

i then moved on to see how the wines would stand up to El Pasa tacos. the Beringer performed quite well with the spicy/sweet/salty treats. GD held its own. and the Durdilly, well, she didn't have a dog in this particular race.

this was a blind tasting, and i thought for sure the third (Durdilly) was the California wine, as the first two were so similar stylistically, and flavor-wise.

Edited by tommy (log)

Georges Deboeuf 2003 $9.99

Grape Kool Aid, banana and sour cherry too. It is, however, a very pretty ruby stain glass color. I should simply put it out to look at and avoid further drinking. It is as expected, but hope springs eternal so I bought the bottle.

Georges Debeouf, BN 2003, $7.99 here in Joisey (Lawrenceville), and here we go:

Bubblegummy nose, as usual, but also that child-memory aroma of a fresh jar of grape jelly being opened, always liked that. Nice jamminess, lotsa sour cherry and strawberry, but definitely a more substantial wine than in the past 5 years, fuller, bigger mouthfeel, and some depth for a change. Less effervescence than in past years, too. Enjoyed a bottle with some roast chciken, sweet potato-almond-scallion cakes and peas. Very fortuitous food pairing. This is still my favorite Turkey Day wine, but this year, I think it will be a much better dinner mate than in years past.

I have on hand the Drouhin and Labour Roi, and will tackle them shortly.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I tried the Geo. DeBoeuf this evening. It was a gift from one of my wine purveyors today, as it was "Beaujolais Day".

I definitely get the slight "artificial banana flavoring" scent on the nose that many winemakers bitch about with the Nouveau. Not evident in the flavor, but definitely in the bouquet. Mostly smells of dark blue fruits and bubblegum, but tastes of strawberries and a hint of earth. I'm with Rich in that it is a far more substantial Nouveau than it's been in past vintages. Much more weighty on the palate, and much more "Gamay-flavored" (e.g. closer to the Cru Beaujolais) than I've recalled in quite some time from Nouveau. An excellent pairing with the Turkey Meatloaf I made for dinner!

Rich - I'm sorry I missed you. I tried to call you late but I guess you were already out and about. We'll have to do it next year. I actually blew off attending the "Savor the Reds" fete at the Loews Hotel tonight, although it would have been fun just to try other Nouveau for comparison sake.

I still can't shake the vision I have of Georges DeBoeuf dancing through the streets of Villefranche singing "We're going to be RICH!! We will unload OCEANS of mediocre wine on those Stew-peed Americans and we will be RICH!!! Bwahahahaha!" :raz:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Sorry I missed your call, too, Katie, but I was experiencing the wonders of physical therapy on my bruised back, and wasn't in any condition to drive to Philly last night; I'm glad i picked up some BN during the day, or I'd have been depressed to miss out on this annual goofy pure fun ritual (just realized tonight that I've been doing the BN since 1983--20 years ferchrissakes!). I also picked up a bottle of the Picard BN as well, so I still have 3 to taste. My buddy Susan in FL favored the Drouhin, so I'm anxious to give that a whirl (Suzie has a terrific palate for wine and beer, you'll enjoy her posts!).

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

The only one we stock is the Chateau Chambon (M. LaPierre)

TN: 2003

Sour cherries and a hint of flint. The unmistakable stench of CM (grape Bubblelicious).

Nice cute lasting finish.

I am hungover like no tormorrow and this is perfect.

The color is pretty, a smashed  dark violet smeared on the pavement during rain.

Today in Chicago it is warm,almost tropical and winter lurks in the back- a chill that threatens and snow is imminent.

A little swirl and the glass yields a snitch of garrigue.

Also the tinniest smidge of herbaciousness, bergamot maybe straining to release itself from bon bon land. :huh:

ooooh. And cherry mike n' ikes. remember those. I used to eat them after swimming at the Y. We are going there tonight.

Arevoir y'all.

Witty ! :wub:

Amongst Drouhin Village, Deboeuf and Albert Bichot, Drouhin rules in this part of the world.

Prices in Israel 13.5$-18.5$.

Local Israeli versions:

Carmel Mizrahi Hilulim 2003: the lowest form of a delluted wine. 3.8$

It looks as if the wine maker blended whatever grape and whatever vintage ...

Tishbi Junior, Baron cellars, Zichron 2003 5.3$

A rather pleasant aroma of red cherry syrup and cassis, yet the body lacks the fresh youthful aromas of a nouveau with a disapointing off aromas at the finish.

Gamay Nouveau, Golan Heights Winery 2003. 8 $

Very light raspberry candy, vanilla and butterscotch candy nose.

Delluted with unpleasant sweetness and unpleasnt finish of somehow oxidized grapes., lacks acidity. Drink chilled if you must.

Edited by Andre (log)

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

Georges Deboeuf 2003 $9.99

Grape Kool Aid, banana and sour cherry too. It is, however, a very pretty ruby stain glass color. I should simply put it out to look at and avoid further drinking. It is as expected, but hope springs eternal so I bought the bottle.

I like the Grape Kool Aid part. :wink:

Dick

I walked into the wineshop all excited to pick up some BN to drink with dinner tonight. But the kosher BN hasn't arrived yet. DAMN! DAMN! DAMN!

And the guy had nerve to try to sell me a bottle from last year's vintage. I gave him one of those "what, do you think I'm a fucking idiot?" looks and pointed out that it's not exactly nouveau anymore.

Anyway, after calling around, looks like the kosher BN won't hit these shores for a couple more weeks.

I'm not very happy.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

And the guy had nerve to try to sell me a bottle from last year's vintage.  I gave him one of those "what, do you think I'm a fucking idiot?" looks and pointed out that it's not exactly nouveau anymore.

Now that's customer service. Oi vey! :angry:

over it

And the guy had nerve to try to sell me a bottle from last year's vintage.  I gave him one of those "what, do you think I'm a fucking idiot?" looks and pointed out that it's not exactly nouveau anymore.

you must be joking!

I would never joke about a thing like this.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I was in Lyon on Beaujolais Day, and the DuBoeuf was the one everyone was giving away.

Lucky Dog!!!! How'd you get so fortunate? (by being in Lyon, not specifically drinking the DeBoeuf...)

It was actually flavorful and had body! This is the vintage that will be remembered in Burgundy as the "California" vintage.

As in "very fruit forward and weighty"? :wink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol