• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

So where are you going to eat in 2004?

Suzi Edwards

I've had more great food this year than ever before. Which means that 2004 has a hard act to beat. But I am already starting to think about where I *have* to go next year. And I love to hear where other people want to go.

So, here's my starter for 10...

1. French Laundry

2. Fat Duck

3. Arzak

4. Waterside Inn

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

After a gap of two years (I live in Chicago now), I am finally going to be able to make back to dear ol' blighty for a 2 week holiday in the Spring (they work you a bit hard over here). My wish list - pretty predictable, but -

St. John (used to love going there when I worked in Farringdon, can't wait to try St. John Bread & Wine)

The Fat Duck

Le Champignon Sauvage (luckily my Mum lives near Cheltenham)

Petrus

El Pellici on Bethnal Green Road (for old times sake)

On the American side, I'd like to make it back to Trio sometime and would like to try Trotters to see what all the fuss is about. If I ever make it to Detroit, I'm going to Tribute.

and El Bulli. This one seems unlikely as I have no chance of making it to Spain in 2004, but this is a WISH list, is it not?

Edited by VeryApe77 (log)

and El Bulli. This one seems unlikely as I have no chance of making it to Spain in 2004, but this is a WISH list, is it not?

the funny thing about wish lists is that it clarifies your thoughts and puts you in a position to make things happen.

i promised myself that i would eat at FL, el bulli and RHR. i've managed two out of three so far and probably wouldn't have gone to el bulli if i hadn't dreamt about it and worked out how to make it happen.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum

Lessee, there's a bunch of places, mostly East Coast US.

If I get to Chicago for something or other, Trio.

On various New York trips, Oceana, DiFara's, that Thai place in Queens whose name I always spell wrong, some place in Brighton Beach, probably Grand Sichuan Intl, Soba-ya,.

DeLorenzo's in Trenton.

In DC (if I don't make it before the end of the year) Zatinya, Firefly, Matchbox.

When I stay in Philly area, Salt, Lacroix, Striped Bass, Sam Won, Odessa??,

This all assumes I am able to increase my weekly income from where it is now.

Otherwise, I'll get in what I can.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

El Bulli (still working on it)

Per Se (when it opens)

Alain Ducasse in New York

Ducasse's restaurant in Monaco

French Laundry (again)

Fat Duck (odd that this is on so many lists)

Trio ("Tour de Force" tasting menu)

More, I'm sure, but that's what I'm planning on.

Bruce

Edited by Schneier (log)

the funny thing about wish lists is that it clarifies your thoughts and puts you in a position to make things happen.

i promised myself that i would eat at FL, el bulli and RHR. i've managed two out of three so far and probably wouldn't have gone to el bulli if i hadn't dreamt about it and worked out how to make it happen.

Quite right, Tarka! By hook or by crook, I will make it!

Just probably not in 2004. Still, who knows what could happen? It's a funny old game, as they say.

Trotter's (during first trip to see the hapless Cubbies next year)

French Laundry (already got it planned)

Varmint's House (if I can get a reservation) :wink:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

rm's - if i can force myself to go into the city

artisinal - ditto

striped bass - philly

geno's - philly

key west - we are going in march/april and am juist beginning to think about where to go - any and all imput would be appreciated

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Suzi, if you get to rm, I hope you won't be disappointed; I know I was. :sad:

My list as of this moment:

St. John (London)

March (NYC)

Jai Yun (San Francisco)

Mustards Grill or Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen (Napa, CA)

The Corn Exchange (Rapid City, SD)

Bacchanalia (Atlanta)

Amma (NYC) :wink:

Suzi, if you get to rm, I hope you won't be disappointed; I know I was. :sad:

My list as of this moment:

St. John (London)

March (NYC)

Jai Yun (San Francisco)

Mustards Grill or Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen (Napa, CA)

The Corn Exchange (Rapid City, SD)

Bacchanalia (Atlanta)

Amma (NYC) :wink:

If you get to Atlanta - you have to try the Dining Room at the Ritz Carlton in Buckhead. Was there a few months ago - and it was yummy. The head chef is Bruno Menard. His father is a famous chocolate person from France - and it really shows in the "throw aways at the end of the meal" trolley - and I do mean trolley - this thing looks like a child's fantasy from the world's greatest carnival. I've never seen anything like it except at Alain Ducasse.

For those of you who are into the more adult portions of the menu :) - I had the crustacean tasting menu (perfect for the hot, steamy summer in Atlanta) - 8 courses excluding other things sent to the table. My favorite courses were langoustine and lobster tartar, chilled fennel soup with summer truffle cream; and lobster with pistachio and english pea ravioli. It is a seasonal menu - so I suspect heartier fare will appear as winter approaches. Robyn

French Laundry (Yountville)

Michel Richard Citronelle (DC)

Jean Georges (NYC)

Peter Luger (NYC)

West (Vancouver)

Lumiere (Vancouver)

Blue Hill (NYC)

Tru (Chicago)

Arzak (Spain)

Petrus (UK)

If you get to Vancouver - especially in the summer - try C. Excellent seafood. Beautiful view on the patio. And lovely boutique BC wines you won't find anywhere outside of BC. Robyn

1. Oh so much I want to do a trip where I fly to Mexico City, drive to Oaxaca, then to Puebla, then to Veracruz eating all along the way. Hopefully I'll at least get to do 3 of the 4 in a 10 day trip next year. I'm already saving for it.

2. I'm going to Chicago next summer most likely so:

- Trio

- Crawl through little India (actually the crawling comes afterwards)

3. Every great taco truck or taqueria in the LA metro area that won't get me shot

My list is much shorter than the rest - with a baby on the way I don't image I'll be doing much travelling, and there's only one destination restaurant in Detroit.

I'm doing Trio (again) in just a couple of weeks, so I probably won't make it back there next year. Maybe to Trotters, though, if I get to Chicago and have too much spare cash... Or Spring, or Naha.

Hopefully my friend Sarah will get an academic job, which will give us an excuse to go to Tribute (Detroit) to celebrate.

If I do manage to get in any spontaneous travel in next year, it will probably be to the DC area, where I have friends I'd like to see and restaurants I'd like to visit. Laboratorio tops the list, but I'd also happily go to Maestro.

The city I'm most likely to end up travelling to is Boston - any destination dining I should be planning for there?

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

If I do manage to get in any spontaneous travel in next year, it will probably be to the DC area, where I have friends I'd like to see and restaurants I'd like to visit. Laboratorio tops the list, but I'd also happily go to Maestro.

i went to maestro on my last trip, it's very, very good and made me see the point of foie gras. in a slightly different league, but very good all the same, is nectar. the welcome was so friendly it made it a nicer experience than maestro all tolled.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum