• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anchor Steam Christmas Ale 2003

Brewery

I finally got my hands on this years twenty-ninth edition and with much anticipation poured and sampled it. Outstanding! This years brew seems like they took the best qualitys from Negra Modelo and Boulder Stout. The body is dark like a Negro Modelo, but much more depth of maltiness and of course the spice in both taste and aroma is quite pronounced. The dark roasted malt flavor (black patent malt?) seems familar to my palate from previous tastings of Boulder Stout, but the rich taste of this years Anchor Seasonal Ale superceeds in all aspects. I also like this years label (Picea sitchensis).

In retrospect to previous years, this years brew is a standout!

Your comments?

• 2 weeks later...

My comment: I wish I could find it here in NYC. Anyone have any ideas who might have it? I've been able to come up with it in past years but haven't seen it around yet. For that matter, I haven't seen Harpoon Winter Warmer anywhere this year yet either - anyone know if they're making it this year? That's one of my favorite Christmas Eve treats.

Cannot wait to try this. It is one of my all time favorite beers. I bought it by mistake a few years back and boy, was I glad of the error.

I'm glad to hear that this year's brew is a good one.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Harpoon Winter Warmer is all over the place here in central jersey so you should be able to find it in NYC. Super Saver Liquors on Rt 22 in Somerville has Magnum Size bottles of Anchor Steam christmas ale. Never seen that before.

My comment: I wish I could find it here in NYC. Anyone have any ideas who might have it? I've been able to come up with it in past years but haven't seen it around yet. For that matter, I haven't seen Harpoon Winter Warmer anywhere this year yet either - anyone know if they're making it this year? That's one of my favorite Christmas Eve treats.

Enjoy it on my birthday! :biggrin:

I haven't seen it yet here in NJ.

John, youre not looking hard enough; I'ev already seen it in Joe Canal's and in some of the smaller package stores in and around Princeton.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

John, youre not looking hard enough; I'ev already seen it in Joe Canal's and in some of the smaller package stores in and around Princeton.

Princeton??? That's like NORTH Jersey!! :biggrin:

I'll have to check out Canal's once the roads clear up.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

NYC availability.

Apparently there were some initial problems with label approval in NY.

Here is an email response from Anchor that was posted on another beer related board:

(good news is that it is now available)

"Thank you for your e-mail and interest in Our Special Ale 2003. While there were some initial delays with the label approval process this year, it is now available in New York. Please contact either Phoenix Beverage in Long Island City (718-609-7200) or Premier Beverage in Syracuse (315-445-0677). Also, please contact Lori Montfort, our New York rep at 347-242-6826 for assistance.

Please let us know if you need any further help and thanks again for writing.

Kind regards from San Francisco,

ANCHOR BREWING COMPANY"

There is a new Canal's opening on Rte 130 in Hamilton, in that humongous Marketplace shopping mecca with the Lowe's and the Home Depot and God knows what other big box retailers, you lazy bastard. Yes, get off your ass and head to THAT Canal's if Princeton seems too "north" for you.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

I finally got my hands on this years twenty-ninth edition and with much anticipation poured and sampled it. Outstanding! This years brew seems like they took the best qualitys from Negra Modelo and Boulder Stout. The body is dark like a Negro Modelo, but much more depth of maltiness and of course the spice in both taste and aroma is quite pronounced. The dark roasted malt flavor (black patent malt?) seems familar to my palate from previous tastings of Boulder Stout, but the rich taste of this years Anchor Seasonal Ale superceeds in all aspects. I also like this years label (Picea sitchensis).

In retrospect to previous years, this years brew is a standout!

Your comments?

See my notes on this beer in the Winter Beers in the Snow thread.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

There is a new Canal's opening on Rte 130 in Hamilton, in that humongous Marketplace shopping mecca with the Lowe's and the Home Depot and God knows what other big box retailers, you lazy bastard. Yes, get off your ass and head to THAT Canal's if Princeton seems too "north" for you.

Once I get north of Burlington, my ankle bracelt alerts the authorities and I get in trouble :raz:

The OSA search is on my "to do" list for tomorrow.

It looks like Canals, in their attempt to become the Microsoft of liquor in NJ, is opening another store on Rt 130 in Delran.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

I finally got my hands on this years twenty-ninth edition and with much anticipation poured and sampled it. Outstanding!

Your comments?

I haven't tried this yet, but there's one in my fridge awaiting. Might open it tonight. I've always liked Anchor's xmas beers. its always spiced :raz: reminds me of Grant's Spiced Ale... *sob*

Born Free, Now Expensive

I am happy to report that my trip to Canal's (Pennsauken) was a success. In addition to the Anchor OSA I got some Weyerbacher Winter Ale.

John

Best place to find this year's seasonals are at B & E Quality Beverage on 23rd St. between 10th & 11th. Prices are extremely reasonable although it's a bit out of the way for some. Today I bought a Dogfish Immort Ale, SN Celebration, and Old Rasputin. And yes, they had Anchor, SN, and Harpoon's latest winter brews. I was even able to drool over a Sam Adams Utopia going for a mere $189!