• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Really BAD Food

DonRocks

Pier 7 in the Channel Inn hotel at the waterfront. Some friends of mine were going to the Arena Stage and there's nowhere to eat in Southwest, so they decided to eat there. Oh my goodness this was bad food. I got "fresh rockfish." Yeah, well, it may have been fresh when it was caught. It was so overcooked it had taken on a grayish-brown color. It came with frozen vegetables (carrot slices, broccoli, shriveled peas) and a foil-wrapped baked potato that had been sitting out so long it was mushy and cold. The person across from me ordered "a glass of chardonnay" and the waiter came over with one of those little mini-screwtop bottles and poured it and then left.

And this place was huge and PACKED with people. Who ARE these people and what are they doing there?! I read that Phillips Flagship seats 1200 people (1500 if you include outside seating). Pier 7 isn't that big, but I wonder if it's the second-largest restaurant in Washington.

I can imagine a rat-infested greasy ethnic place being worse than this, but not much else.

Edited by DonRocks (log)

Two Quail. The day after a late night, my wife and I took a day off work with the idea of getting a great meal for lunch. We were sucked in by the pretense of the place...very, very bad. Tuna and pork loin, both cooked to the consistency of shoe leather. We fled as fast as we could. They did, to their credit, remove both items from the check.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I should cut them a break, but Marty's -- a new place on Capitol Hill comes close. The waiter disappeared after our order for about 30 minutes, only to return and ask me again what it was we ordered. Drinks were nowhere to be seen.

When the food finally arrived, with apologies from the manager, it included a soggy lasagna and partially frozen garlic bread (warm on the outside, cold inside). Phew!

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

There's a terrible Italian place in Georgetown (yes, I know that's not very specific!). Let's see, I think it's on Wisconsin--it's down the hill from M St, on the left as you come down the hill..I think it's a woman's name. And they overdecorate for all the holidays, and when you enter you see women making pasta. Anyone know the place I'm talking about? Horrible overpriced food, terrible wine list, condescending sexist service...yick! An 80 yr old friend who's lost her tastebuds took me there 3 years ago. The experience, not the name, stuck in my mind.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

The worst one I have ever had is at a Tex-Mex place in Sterling called Los Toltecos. Like many bad meals I have put the details out of my mind but I still remember the "Fried Ice Cream" (which I just posted about on the freid ice cream thread). It amounted to that aprticularly bad type of ice cream with big chucks of ice in it (not frozen ice cream but ice) rolled in rice krispies. That's it - not cooked, no sauce or other flavors.

Oh and I remember the sticky vinyl tablecloths too.

Bill Russell

There's a terrible Italian place in Georgetown (yes, I know that's not very specific!). Let's see, I think it's on Wisconsin--it's down the hill from M St, on the left as you come down the hill..I think it's a woman's name. And they overdecorate for all the holidays, and when you enter you see women making pasta. Anyone know the place I'm talking about? Horrible overpriced food, terrible wine list, condescending sexist service...yick! An 80 yr old friend who's lost her tastebuds took me there 3 years ago. The experience, not the name, stuck in my mind.

Philomena's? Looks potentially charming from the outside, but then again, it is in G'town which seems to be the deal breaker for any hopes of finding a quality restaurant.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Oh and I remember the sticky vinyl tablecloths too.

Gotta love those. Especially when they put your laminated menu on the table"cloth". When you pick it up it makes a sound similar to duct tape when you peel off a piece.

Edited by Al_Dente (log)

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

There's a terrible Italian place in Georgetown (yes, I know that's not very specific!). Let's see, I think it's on Wisconsin--it's down the hill from M St, on the left as you come down the hill..I think it's a woman's name. And they overdecorate for all the holidays, and when you enter you see women making pasta. Anyone know the place I'm talking about?  Horrible overpriced food, terrible wine list, condescending sexist service...yick! An 80 yr old friend who's lost her tastebuds took me there 3 years ago. The experience, not the name, stuck in my mind.

Philomena's? Looks potentially charming from the outside, but then again, it is in G'town which seems to be the deal breaker for any hopes of finding a quality restaurant.

Oooo...I remember that place. I walked past it everyday on my way to the gym (which was at the very bottom of that hill) and always wanted to try it because it just looked so quaint.

The worst meal I ever had in DC was actaully at Galileo. I was there on a date and was horrified as I felt something crawling across my tongue as I was halfway through my salad. I tried to discreetly spit into my napkin, but while I was doing so, I notied all manner of little green critters having a parade across my plate and just started choking. My date looked at me and I pointed to my plate. He called over our waiter who looked at my plate and then went into the kitchen. He came out with the chef who gave me some long-winded story about how they use organic produce and can't control the little critters, blah, blah, blah. I just wanted them to take my plate away and give me something else.

Know what the chef did? He offered me another salad (!). Ugh. And he didn't even apologize. For the rest of the meal, I was picking through my food inspeciting for vermin. Talk about an awful meal.

We didn't even get credited for the salad on our bill -- we had to ask for it to be taken off.

I haven't been able to comfortably eat in a "fancy" restaurant since.

Sherri A. Jackson

sheribabee, what a horrible story. I asked my friend who is an organic farmer if this is a worthy excuse and her reply was "did they wash the lettuce?"

I, too, can't remember the name of the restaurant. My worst meal was at the Japanese restaurant on Wisconsine Ave. down the street from the Volvo dealership in Tenleytown. Bad sushi led to worse case of food poisoning I have ever had. I guess it is not surprising that we forget the names of these places.

I have to take a moment to defend Marty's, even though I haven't been there yet. I know the history of that block better than you can imagine and it has been a long time since a place like this was attempted and succeeded. That location (the three blocks of 8th from I to Penn. Ave.) seems to have a continous stream of unsuccessful restaurants. Anyone remember the Thai/Mexican place? I have heard from people who have dined that while the service needs some work, the food is good. Not fancy, just good American food. Let's just hope that they have it figured out before the parades at the Marine Barracks starts up again.

The neighborhood needs some good luck right about now, and deserves it. Keep your fingers crossed.

Edited by hillvalley (log)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Having not read the Marty's strand yet, I was there today. Not for anything fancy, but just a drop-in casual lunch. It was exactly that. The waiter was very nice and attentive and the owner came over to say hello as did the manager to check and see how things tasted, etc. I can imagine any new place has its bumps as it did for others here, but just so folks know -- today was good.

Oh, I had a veggie burger. Nothing special, but sometimes I like that. My dining companions had salads that they seemed to like and buffalo wings that looked much meatier than some places.

All this without having to breathe in the smoke that I am allergic too. I'll be back, not for a breathtaking foodie experience, but for a hunger satisfying meal.

As for my worst food experience. It has to be a tie between a horrific evening at Pasta Mia in Adams Morgan where they could not seem to muster a crust of bread for a diabetic diner among other frightening service flaws and the ridiculously bad food at Buon Apetito on Wisconsin or the mongolian barbecue place in Bethesda with some catchy name that actually served cold tortillas with every mongolian barbecue order.

Edited by blissfood (log)

worst food in town...

...."the diner" in adams morgan...proudly serving shitty food 24/7...My favorite thing is eating good food at The Reef across the street and watching people wait in line for "the diner"...thats good comedy...you should all try it

listen to Black Sabbath..often

The absolute worst meal that I have ever had in DC came from Haydees in Mount Pleasant.

This should be renamed "Hades," and have a sign over the door saying "Abandon all hope ye who enter here."

Hey...they make a fine "hangover soup" -- something with tripe. And I've never thrown up after eating there.

Not that it's exactly fine dining, either.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

There's a terrible Italian place in Georgetown (yes, I know that's not very specific!). Let's see, I think it's on Wisconsin--it's down the hill from M St, on the left as you come down the hill..I think it's a woman's name. And they overdecorate for all the holidays, and when you enter you see women making pasta. Anyone know the place I'm talking about?  Horrible overpriced food, terrible wine list, condescending sexist service...yick! An 80 yr old friend who's lost her tastebuds took me there 3 years ago. The experience, not the name, stuck in my mind.

Yes! Philomena's!!! Ugh... Avoid avoid avoid.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

I suffered some of the worst dining and service experiences of my life at Food for Thought when they were open. I tried several times because I lived in Dupont and at the time was a vegetarian, and their menu looked like it should be good. The only edible thing on the menu was the vegetarian chili salad and eventually even that became unacceptably horrid. I was actually pleased when they closed, and now we have Bistro du Coin in their old space!

I have never attempted to order the food the same people are hawking at the Black Cat, btw. And never will!

I should cut them a break, but Marty's -- a new place on Capitol Hill comes close.  The waiter disappeared after our order for about 30 minutes, only to return and ask me again what it was we ordered.  Drinks were nowhere to be seen.

When the food finally arrived, with apologies from the manager, it included a soggy lasagna and partially frozen garlic bread (warm on the outside, cold inside).  Phew!

They've also been leaving all the doors open - people have told me it's ridiculously freezing in there. And I was so excited for a new restaurant in my hood...

I suffered some of the worst dining and service experiences of my life at Food for Thought when they were open.

I used to go there when it was open for beer and the vegan nachos. For some reason, the vegan nachos were addictive, slathered in tahini and with red onions. I agree though, the rest of the menu was pretty scary.

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

• 2 years later...
The absolute worst meal that I have ever had in DC came from Haydees in Mount Pleasant.

This should be renamed "Hades," and have a sign over the door saying "Abandon all hope ye who enter here."

Hey...they make a fine "hangover soup" -- something with tripe. And I've never thrown up after eating there.

Not that it's exactly fine dining, either.

You have to question any Mexican/Salvadoran/Latino restaurant at which the lone hot sauce on the tables is Tabasco. I am mixed on the place. On the one hand, it's open late, had a laid-back bar atmosphere, and the pupusas are cheap and serviceable. On the other hand, on Monday night I made the mistake of ordering "enchildas nortenas," not really reading the description well. Basically it was queso con queso con queso. Cheese fried cheese. Tortillas filled with plain cheese, then covered in more cheese, baked, then topped with still more cheese plus sour cream. I had to ruin my friend's bathroom at 3 a.m.

I suffered some of the worst dining and service experiences of my life at Food for Thought when they were open. I tried several times because I lived in Dupont and at the time was a vegetarian, and their menu looked like it should be good. The only edible thing on the menu was the vegetarian chili salad and eventually even that became unacceptably horrid. I was actually pleased when they closed, and now we have Bistro du Coin in their old space!

I have never attempted to order the food the same people are hawking at the Black Cat, btw. And never will!

Can't believe I missed this thread the first time around. Food For Thought was without a doubt the worst food in DC, with the exception of the pizza they served at the old 9:30 club. That pizza was so bad that I have never once been tempted to try the expanded menu at the new club.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Can't believe I missed this thread the first time around.

Funny - I was about to post about my worst meal ever in DC and then I looked up thread and realized I already had - over two years ago. Good to know my answer still hasn't changed.

Bill Russell