• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Girl Scout Cookies

B Edulis

Maybe we should merge this discussion with the one on global food conglomerates after reading Rick Nichols' "On the Side" column in yesterday's Philadelphia Inquirer Food section:

"Girl Scout Cookies: A life lesson on fat profits"

Lyndon LaRouche would probably find this article fascinating too, as the Canadian food mogul mentioned in the story is a good buddy of the British royal family.

Residents of areas whose Girl Scout councils buy their cookies from Little Brownie Bakers may continue to buy their cookies guilt-free, I guess. Nonetheless, the article's still worth reading, for Nichols makes some useful points about the lessons the Scouts learn from conducting the cookie sale the way they have since the 1930s.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I finally gave up on buying them. I did every year for nostalgic reasons, but I finally realized that I really don't like them and I'd end up munching the whole box as it sat in my office. :blink: Definitely not worth it!

Our neighbor's truly adorable little girls sold us 4 boxes last year. We had two cookis each (one thin mint, one something else), then the boxes sat in the pantry for 10 months. I guess neither of us liked 'em. (Weird texture, waxy.)

Sure enough, there was a table at the Super Fresh today, and I plunked down a grand total of $21 on six boxes: two Thin Mints, one each of Trefoils, Tagalongs, Samoas and Double Dutch. My partner promptly told a guest who dropped by as I was unloading the groceries that he could take one of the Thin Mints boxes with him. :raz:

The Double Dutch cookies are okay. I've consumed enough regular Chips Ahoys to know better, but I expected a chocolate chocolate-chip cookie to be softer, chewier and more fudge-like than these were.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 1 month later...

Has anyone had any of the Edy's/Dreyers Girl Scout Cookie ice cream flavors yet?

We've tried the Thin Mint, Tagalong, and Samoa flavors. By far my favorite is the Samoa, its got nice chunks of Samoa cookie in it. The thin mint tastes accurately like the cookie, but I dont quite like the texture. The Tagalong is also good if you like peanut butter flavors, but its not as good as the Samoa in my opinion.

BTW is there any rhyme or reason as to why in some regions, the Samoa is the Caramel De-Lite, and is circular shaped instead of hexoganal? Perhaps there is some weird masonic or Illuminati-sort of conspiracy here?

Its also the 30th Anniversary of the Samoa's introduction.

And some other nifty Samoa recipes.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Has anyone had any of the Edy's/Dreyers Girl Scout Cookie ice cream flavors yet?

[snip]

BTW is there any rhyme or reason as to why in some regions, the Samoa is the Caramel De-Lite, and is circular shaped instead of hexoganal? Perhaps there is some weird masonic or Illuminati-sort of conspiracy here?

We tried the Tagalong flavor ice cream, and I really liked it. Then again, I'm a sucker for chocolate peanut butter ice creams, particularly Edy's regular chocolate withe peanut butter swirl. The Tagalong's a vanilla base, and I thought I wouldn't like it, but it was pretty good.

The Samoa/Carmel DeLite thing is due to different bakers. ABC calls them Carmel DeLite, Little Brownie Bakers calls them Samoa. Apparently it's the choice of the council (regional area - county sized or so) which baker to use.

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

• 1 year later...

Well, they are here sitting on my desk as the girl scout parents at work know I'm a soft touch.

As always I got some thin mints for Maggie. I have never liked them as mint and chocolate are one of those flavor combinations that I have never cared for in any form

The last couple of years I have been getting the low-fat lemon creams. Those are gone this year.

I got a box of the new lemonade cookies. They are like the shortbreads with a lemon topping. Not bad really

$3.50 a box, I know thats for the Girl Scouts not for the cookies.

Anyone else got their haul?

In order of preference (I call them by their real names, which of course are the names I sold them under when I was a Girl Scout):

1 Samoas

2 Do-Si-Do's

3 Thin Mints

4 Tagalongs

What Viva said!

Thin Mints are terrific, crumbled up and served over ice cream (love 'em on cherry vanilla).

I kinda like Trefoils, too, though they aren't as good as they used to be. I like to dunk them in hot tea OR spread them with a little Nutella for an afternoon snack.

I was a Cookie Mom for my daughter's troop for 3 years. I've recovered well, thank you. (My 2nd year we sold the most in our Council. The 3rd year our leader bailed in the middle. :( )

Last Sunday bought them at Jewel(midwest large grocery store).

There they were (those ruthless girlscouts....they appear so inocent...they ARENT - they know they've got you right where they want you as soon as you walk in those revolving grocery store doors)

5 think mints

3 dos-i-do's

3 tag-a-longs

3 somoas

1 (forgot name) this new one its gramcracker or something dipped (one half) in chocolate

MMMM one box of think mints went to the fiance's office, one in the freezer...and the rest in the pantry :)

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

forgot to mention, here they are 4.00 a box!

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

I can't believe all the different flavours you get! Here, at least in Ontario, we get only the classic ones vanilla and chocolate, twice a year, and the mint ones once a year. That's it. Maybe because we're called Girl Guides here? :angry:

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 8 months later...
If I want cookies Ill buy DoublStufft Oreos or Milanos or Soft Oatmeal Raisin, not baked paper mache...

I think the point is to help out the Girl Guides / Girl Scouts. Your bag of Double-Stuffed Oreos doesn't exactly contribute to a little girl going to camp. :P Like when you pay for a poppy.... I'm pretty sure I could find a prettier fake plant for my money. It's the cause in this case that helps justify the means.

Edited by Bueno (log)

If I want cookies Ill buy DoublStufft Oreos or Milanos or Soft Oatmeal Raisin, not baked paper mache...

I think the point is to help out the Girl Guides / Girl Scouts. Your bag of Double-Stuffed Oreos doesn't exactly contribute to a little girl going to camp. :P Like when you pay for a poppy.... I'm pretty sure I could find a prettier fake plant for my money. It's the cause in this case that helps justify the means.

I was referring more to the quality and flavor...Not the charity aspects.

However do the research, the actual kids dont get much money. Again, its a racket...

"Pricing

The price of Girl Scout Cookies is set by each regional council, to be followed by all local troops, and therefore varies by region. They are roughly $2.50-$5.00 a box.

The profit from sales is divided amongst three levels within the Girl Scouts organization: the national Girl Scouts of the USA, the regional council, and the local troop of girls. Depending on the price of the box of cookies, the local troop typically receives between 45¢ and $1."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_scout_cookie

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

• 3 months later...

Love the Tagalongs, Do-Si-Dos and Thin Mints the best. Must find some soon...

I was a Girl Scount for eleven years, Mom was my troop leader and the town coordinator of all things Girl Scout... The money raised on cookie sales paid for my two weeks of overnight camp one year (I sold over 1000 boxes going door-to door and having Dad take the order form to work). In other years I didn't quite pay for the whole thing, but I got at least a good portion paid for. For the troop, we would raise money for camping trips and equipment.

For the council-level stuff, the proceeds go towards keeping operating costs lower so that troops can basically support themselves and don't have to contribute much in fees towards the council. Plus, they help support programs like the camp and Wider Opportunities - specialized trips like three weeks of horseback riding I did in the Snake River area of Idaho.