• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Girl Scout Cookies

B Edulis

Just got my annual stock of GS cookies, mulling over which I like best. This year, I mistakenly got a low fat variety that I gave away -- I don't remember the name but they were powdered sugar covered balls. Trefoils used to be in the running because I liked the old-fashioned logo, even though shortbread without butter (they use shortning) is a travesty. But the old logo's gone now, replaced by a kind of kumbya silhouette approach. Bah!

I'm on the fence about whether I like Thin Mints or Tagalongs better. Thin mints are delicious -- hard to beat dark chocolate. But Tagalongs have the chocolate and peanut butter. I think they've got the edge -- they're much better with coffee. (In fact, peanuts are great with coffee, why hasn't anyone exploited this?)

Are there other varieties I should get next year?

I've got to second the choice of Thin Mints. I like to keep them in the freezer where they stay crispy. Amazingly, the chocolate never gets cold.

The Samoas have a nice texture with the coconut but I find them just too sweet.

For me its a toss up between thin mints and the caramel delites.

And Tommy, you are a sick bastard.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

And Tommy, you are a sick bastard.

that may be so.  but i think you all agree with me.

Yeah... in seven or eight years she'll be pretty.  Is that what you were looking for?  :biggrin:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Friendship Circles™

These new ones look worth trying: "A rich chocolaty filling sandwiched between two crunchy vanilla cookies and embossed with the word "friend" in many languages."

It's a reverse Oreo.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I can't deal with Girl Scout cookies anymore; who do they use for their baker these days, anyway?

When I was a kid, the cookies were baked by Burry's. Over the years, they've used cheaper and cheaper bakers, and now, since no one has ever tried to sell me GS cookies, I've never had to buy them. In truth, they're kind of one step up from the cheapo "sandwich cremes" I've only seen junkies eat.

I don't think you're actually supposed to eat these. They're a token for a donation, like a plastic poppy or a plastic yellow ribbon. They're all made from the same plastic, just dyed different colours.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Joke? No way. Thin mints rule.

The "stoned" comment reminds me of the episode of Friends when Ross is trying to help a Brownie Bell (?) win a trip to space camp. He first succeeded by selling a huge amount to the people leaving the laser show at the Planetarium, then starting hitting college dorms around midnight. "Cookie Dude!"

• 1 year later...

Although this could have been posted in media, I put it here with the story having appeared in the Sacramento Bee.

The gist?

New Girl Scout cookie varieties for 2004 include Double Dutch, a chocolate cookie with chocolate chips, and Lemon Coolers, a reduced-fat vanilla cookie with a lemony tang. Thin Mints, Samoas and Tagalongs are the Nos. 1, 2 and 3 sellers, accounting for 57% of all Girl Scout cookies sold

Oh dear. I hope this doesn't mean they've gotten rid of the Aloha Chips (white chocolate chip macadamia nut). They're even more evil and crack-filled than the Samoas.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

My order just arrived this week

Wow - you get them early!!!

I always mark Springtime with the arrival of Girl Scouts and don't even start looking for them hanging around the grocery stores until Eastertime!