• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone have any poached pear ideas?

cakedecorator1968

Hi Everyone!

I'm going to poach some pears tomorrow and I want to try something interesting and creative. Last time I poached them in chardenay, lemon, honey and vanilla bean. Stuffed them with a thick compote of apricots, dried cranberries and raisins. When ordered- sprinkled them with sugar on the presentation side and lightly caramelized them. Served on a sponge disk as a base. Garnished with white ganache and caramel sauce on the plate.

Do you have and interesting ideas to contribute?

I would have liked to serve a vanilla bean sticking up for some height but obviously that is too expensive for every plate.

I'm making 30 so I think spun angel hair would take too long as a garnish.

Comments?

Bye!

BB

This may be a bit simple, but it's a hit at dinner parties. Poached pear with cinnamon ice cream, drizzled with a caramel or vanilla cream sauce and a sprinkle of hazel nut streusel. You can even garnish it with a tall cookie.

Then again, poached pear and chocolate is also nice. By the way, youe combination sounds absolutely heavenly.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

How about one of my fall favorites - pears poached in apple cider and some ground cinnamon. Serve with a reduction of the poaching liquid - and drizzle with some chocolate. You could stick some kind of chocolate stick in if you want some height (cinnamon stick would work for height too - but who wants to eat a cinnamon stick).

Please note that I simply cook at home - I'm not a professional - and I've never cooked anything for 30 people! Note that if I were trying to save money cooking for a crowd - I might try using frozen apple juice (I've used it successfully to par boil ribs - but I've never used it to poach pears). Robyn

I frequently poach pears in merlot, with lemon zest, cinnamon sticks, ginger slices, cardamom pods, and cloves. You could serve that with a cinnamon ice cream or stuff the pears with a mixture of ricotta/marcarpone and dried fruit

Or what about a slice of spice cake?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Off the top of my head...Poach in vanilla syrup, stuff with (or have leaning on) goat cheese or mascarpone flavored with cardamom, surround with bourbon creme anglaise, top with shaved bittersweet chocolate.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Spice cake! What a good idea. Were you thinking for example-a triangle of spice cake next to the pear or sit the pear on a thinner piece of spice cake?

What a about a square of cake, with a pear half that's been fanned out placed on top. That way, the diner will bring both tastes into the mouth in a single bite. For height, maybe use some cinnamon sticks in a decorative way.

Another thought is to dice up the pears (maybe salsa-like) and serve on the side.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

At school we did a dessert with poached pears that everyone liked: poach pears as usual in white wine, sugar and spices. Cool, then slice pear halves into fans. pipe a thin-ish layer of almond or hazelnut financier batter in a shallow baking dish and place pear half on top. bake until cake is browned and just done. Serve warm with thyme or hazelnut ice cream (I preferred the thyme - really brought out the flavor of the pear) and a pear chip garnish. You can bake them ahead of time and rewarm them in the convection for a couple minutes for service.

I'm pretty sure I made it onto a televised cooking contest on the strength of this, relatively simple, recipe.

Peach ripe, halved and peeled pears in an inexpensive dessert wine spiked with honey, with cinnamon sticks, cloves, maybe some allspice.

Top with a caramel creme anglaise and roasted, crumbled hazlenuts.

Dust with a little fleur du sel of sel gris (somehow, this makes the dessert).

A big plus is you can cook everything beforehand and plate at your leisure. If you poach the pears and leave them floating in the liquid during dinner, they spice and wine will thoroughly penetrate the fruit.

Also, use the same poaching technique and serve with lavender ice cream rather than the caramel creme. Use the poaching liquid as "broth" if you like.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I frequently poach pears in merlot, with lemon zest, cinnamon sticks, ginger slices, cardamom pods, and cloves. You could serve that with a cinnamon ice cream or stuff the pears with a mixture of ricotta/marcarpone and dried fruit

Or what about a slice of spice cake?

Sometimes when I have a lot of time on my hands - I make poached pears with gingerbread with cinnamon cream. It is a long complicated Martha Stewart Dessert of the month recipe which actually works! It's a stunning presentation - you hollow out the gingerbread loaf and stand the pears up in a row in the hollow - but it would be difficult to serve at a restaurant. Perhaps an individual gingerbread round with a hollow in it for the pear would work. It's a long recipe. If anyone is interested - send me a PM and I will email it to you. In case you haven't figured it out - I really love poached pear desserts. I only find them on restaurant menus once in a blue moon - so I make them at home for myself. Robyn

Here's an idea I gave someone else a while back. It didn't appeal to them, but I have made this before and I like it

pear sashimi dessert

slices of pear poached in red wine

ginger infused cream (stovetop creme brulee)

warm liquid center chocolate cake

possibly served with ginger tuile for crunch

In the winter I like to poach pears in a Port based simple syrup,cool then stuff them with a blend of stilton,marscapone,dried black figs and black pepper.Put them in a roasting pan some some of the poaching liquid,tent with foil and rewarm in the oven.

70 Fonseca or Taylor works nice with it :smile:

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

Im doing a dessert right now where I poach the pear in cabernet and spices (cinnamon and ginger, lemon) and when they cool I quarter the pears, cut the seeds out lengthwise and then slice the pear very thinly (not lengthwise ). Then fan out the pear and wrap it around itself so that it looks like a flower. Then I made a gingerbread brownie, cut it in a circle. Make some vanilla cream and pipe that onto the gingerbread and place the pear flower on top of that. Then I made some ginger syrup (poach ginger in simple syrup and reduce a little) and drizzle that around the pear dessert and garnish with whatever you like.

My favorite part of the meal at the Fifth Floor in S.F. was the poached pear

in a Riesling Sabayon sauce. Simple but tasty. It was served with a palmetto

cookie. The aroma was beautiful.

Here are two desserts that I have recently prepared especially for the fall season. Both may be a bit over top, but if anything strikes your fancy feel free to use it. The first of the two I based on the classic combination of pear, blue cheese, and walnut, only in a more modern fashion. The second takes its influences from two popular beverages in Mexico: Agua de Jamica (a sweet beverage made with steeped hibiscus flowers), and Horchata (a drink that is made with cinnamon and rice, and in this variation is represented by rice pudding).

Mulled Cider Poached Pears

Walnut Oil Financier & Cabrelas Ice Cream

With Spiced Walnut Croquant

Hibiscus Poached Pears with Orange Powder

Warm Horchata Strudel & Warm Dried Fruit Compote

Cinnamon-Tequila Sorbet

I hope that these dishes can lend you some ideas.

Good Luck!

Cory Barrett

Pastry Chef

Please expand on your "Saffron and Tea" idea.

Just the thought that flavoring your poaching liquid with either may lead you into some new territory...

Saffron Poaching Syrup

750g water

250g white wine, preferably muscat, gewurztraminer, or riesling

juice and zest of one orange

300g granulated sugar

2 pieces star anise

2 pieces clove

1 stick cinnamon

pinch fennel seeds

pinch coriander seeds

1 piece bay leaf

2 pinch saffron

1. Combine all ingredients in a non reactive saucepan. Bring to a boil. Use as desired.

Michael Laiskonis

Pastry Chef

New York

www.michael-laiskonis.com

Orange powder is simply orange zest poached in simple syrup, then dried and aground into a powder. It is a nice garnish to a dessert, and offers orange flavor with out the acidity of the juice or the bitterness of the zest.

Cory Barrett

Pastry Chef