• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican in Sea Bright

=Mark

Was buying a couple dirty water dogs from Mrs. Rooney's Sabrette stand last weekend when I noticed a new place across the street called The Shack. Figured I'd try it today for lunch and was pleasantly surprised. Given the kitchy So-Cal colorful surf style interior, and the fact that there were no other patrons inside, I admit my expectations were not exactly high.

The first surprise was the obligatory basket of chips and salsa. Instead of the standard cooked salsa that could have come in a jar that most places tend to, I was treated to an entirely fresh Pico de Gallo style salsa, that if mixed with lime juice & seafood would have made a killer Ceviche (Something the owner conceded he did as a special on occasion). For $3 a side of Guacamole was also right on the mark, none of the over creamed commercial type stuff, but chunky with diced chiles and onion.

The entree I had was Enchiladas Del Mar ($8.95), Corn tortillas filled with shrimp and scallops, topped with a tasty version of ranchero sauce, cojita cheese (a hard Mexican cheese similar to Parmesan, but not as salty) and sour cream. It was a nice size portion served with rice and a choice of Black or Refried beans.

Lunch portions generally have 2 items, dinner 3.

Talking to the owner I mentioned I was surprised given the pacific connection that they did not offer fish tacos. He proceeded to point out the appetizer Baja Tacos ($7.75)... Douh!! Battered, lightly fried fish fillets on soft corn tortillas with shredded cabbage, a special white sauce, cheese, pico de gallo and a lime wedge.

This will be my next sampling!

For dinner, no appetizers are over $8. Only 2 dinner entrees exceed $15.

Will post the menu on my site soon.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Phone is 732-747-2787

Address is pretty irrelevant as Sea Bright is a 1 road town. Headed south on Rt 36 it is on the left after the firehouse.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Battered, lightly fried fish fillets on soft corn tortillas with shredded cabbage, a special white sauce, cheese, pico de gallo and a lime wedge.

This will be my next sampling!

be sure to report back about these. i'll travel far for good fish tacos!