• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

POM Wonderful

zilla369

I bought the Pomegranate Mango which tastes very good. I also used it when making cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Thanks to this thread, I served POM Wonderful mimosas at Thanksgiving. These went over well. However, I thought the juice was a bit overpriced at nearly $4.00 a bottle. And when taken straight, well... there's a reason they're marketing it as a health drink.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

When I was growing up in Burbank, CA, we had five pomegranite bushes lining the back fence. Every year, they'd give plenty of fruit. Every year, it was my "job" to juice those fruits, which was terribly messy and sticky but fun. I'd wear clothes that were on their last, since they'd get so stained.

And every year, Mom would take the juice, strain the sediment out of it, and make the most amazing jelly from it. It was a red a bit deeper than ruby, and had the most tongue-pleasing flavor. What we didn't keep for ourselves, she would give as gifts.

Of course, if any company out there decided to make pomegranite the new jelly flavor of the month, they'd probably dilute it with apple. It wouldn't be the same thing at all.

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really liking this POM stuff mixed with Ginger Ale.

Sort of like a grown up Shirley Temple.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 2 weeks later...
Expensive, but like heaven in a bottle. Sexy website, too: POM Wonderful

Anybody else tried this stuff? .

It's delectable. :wub: I drink it several times a week for the health benefits. I read a recent article stating that it attacks cancer cells as well as reducing placque in the arteries. I pay $3.99 for a 16 oz. bottle. I get two servings per bottle. I don't find anything "thick and syrupy" about it. It's a bit tart, and quite astringent on my palate. I love that type of flavor. It's akin to cranberry in flavor, but unique unto itself.

My goodness, I am only just realizing how lucky I am. Here in central Mexico, my pomegranate tree gives fruit almost continuously. If I can pick the ripe ones before my gourmet four footed friends get there, I can make juice all year round. I find about half juice, half water makes a nice long drink. And they are basic for sangrita to go with tequila,

Rachel

Rachel Caroline Laudan

Oh wow. I can't even imagine. :wub:

Does anyone know why it needs to be refridgerated? I left my out overnight and didn't know whether to finish it or not.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Oh wow.  I can't even imagine. :wub:

Does anyone know why it needs to be refridgerated?  I left my out overnight and didn't know whether to finish it or not.

I don't know why it HAS to be refrigerated, but they ship it to customers cold to ensure it's very fresh and all the health benefits are retained. No juice tastes good at room temperature anyway. :wacko: At least not to me. I like them very cold. And if I had opened the bottle, I would refrigerate it anyway as a matter of habit. There's certainly enough acid in the juice that it would be unlikely you'd get sick if you left it out a few hours with no refrigeration though--especially with the cap on.

Edited by Pickles (log)

We found it sale so I have several bottles in the fridge. I really like the pom-mango. Plus the bottles are great for other uses.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I find about half juice, half water makes a nice long drink. And they are basic for sangrita to go with tequila,

Rachel

Hi Rachel:

Can you give more details on the pomegranite sangrita? And am I correct in assuming this is a chaser after drinking some tequila?

Thanks!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Hi Ludja, I've enjoyed your posts.

And here's my take on sangrita (roughly a little blood).

Yes, it's a chaser for tequila. And since tequila has only risen to respectability in Mexico in the last couple of decades, the chasers are in rapid evolution. It's now common before the big midday meal at 3 to have a tequila and chaser. There are nifty little wrought iron holders for a shot of tequila and a shot of chaser.

There are various on the market of varying degrees of niceness and nastiness. Usually they are named after some fictitious widow (viuda sanchez we have in the fridge right now though that's not to say I recommend it).

As the name suggests, sangrita has to be red. Sometimes they are just bloody mary take offs with tomato juice, orange juice and chile.

The better ones (I think) are pomegranate juice, maybe orange juice and a puree of chile anchos. But this is a topic I have wanted to pursue for ages.

So more fairly soon, though this may take a while.

Rachel

Rachel Caroline Laudan

Am I the only one who thinks POM tastes just like Welch's grape juice? Love to see a blind taste preference test on that.

I thought it tasted like cranberry juice, until I added some vanilla Stoli and Sprite. Diluting POM brings out the flavors for me.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Hi Ludja, I've enjoyed your posts.

And here's my take on sangrita (roughly a little blood).

Yes, it's a chaser for tequila. And since tequila has only risen to respectability in Mexico in the last couple of decades, the chasers are in rapid evolution. It's now common before the big midday meal at 3 to have a tequila and chaser. There are nifty little wrought iron holders for a shot of tequila and a shot of chaser.

There are various on the market of varying degrees of niceness and nastiness. Usually they are named after some fictitious widow (viuda sanchez we have in the fridge right now though that's not to say I recommend it).

As the name suggests, sangrita has to be red. Sometimes they are just bloody mary take offs with tomato juice, orange juice and chile.

The better ones (I think) are pomegranate juice, maybe orange juice and a puree of chile anchos. But this is a topic I have wanted to pursue for ages.

So more fairly soon, though this may take a while.

Rachel

Hi Caroline,

Thank you, and thanks for the information on sangrita!

Please do start another thread on this! (I was thinking about it after I asked the question, but you would be a much better person to start it off). Maybe under the 'Beverages and Libations' forum?

I have always been intrigued by sangrita. I've had the orange, chile, tomato version in LA once, read a little about it in one of Zarela Martinez's books and would love to learn more about it.

The pomegranate version you mention with ancho chile puree sounds very interesting!

Thanks again.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I'm going to bring up something that has yet to be discussed in this thread:

I've drunk pomegranate juice on and off for years. I forget the brand name, but there's an organic pomegranate juice that's available in various health food stores in New York. Is POM Wonderful superior to organic pomegranate juices that have been sold for many years, and if so, how?

Michael aka "Pan"

I'm going to bring up something that has yet to be discussed in this thread:

I've drunk pomegranate juice on and off for years. I forget the brand name, but there's an organic pomegranate juice that's available in various health food stores in New York. Is POM Wonderful superior to organic pomegranate juices that have been sold for many years, and if so, how?

Prior to discovering POM, I had never seen pomegranate juice in any way, shape or form but then again, I don't generally shop in health food stores. Since Pom offers a 100% pom juice (as well as combos like Pom-Blueberry, Pom Mango, etc) I would think it would be no less special than any other 100% pom juice. Check the label on other brands and make sure it's 100% juice with no additions of corn syrup, etc. Pom may also bottle their juice in glass rather than plastic to preserve the freshness and health benefits. They charge $25.00 in shipping for their product and seem anal it gets to you as pristine as when it was bottled. Cool. :cool:

Has anyone read the label that comes attached to the neck of the POM bottles? They make some truly alarming claims about the health benefits of POM -- wards off cancer, Alzheimer's, etc. Aren't there regulations about what they can say?

There seem to have studies to support these claims. There's an article from TIME magazine on their website, and I have read other articles recently on the anti cancer benefits-- the juice seems to fight cancer cells. Since the juice contains more flavonoids than any other antioxidant drink, and antioxidants are known for health benefits, I don't see any "alarming claims" being made. To me, an "alarming" claim means something I need to be frightened about. Pom juice makes me feel as though I am doing something healthy when I down it.