• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

POM Wonderful

zilla369

This week i discovered my new favorite non-alcoholic beverage, POM Wonderful. It's 100% pomegranate juice, and advertised as having more anti-oxidants than anything else you can drink, including red wine and green tea. Expensive, but like heaven in a bottle. Sexy website, too: POM Wonderful

Anybody else tried this stuff? They have several pomegranate-blended-with-another-fruit flavors, as well; pom-tangerine, pom-blueberry, etc.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

This week i discovered my new favorite non-alcoholic beverage, POM Wonderful. It's 100% pomegranate juice, and advertised as having more anti-oxidants than anything else you can drink, including red wine and green tea. Expensive, but like heaven in a bottle. Sexy website, too: POM Wonderful

Anybody else tried this stuff? They have several pomegranate-blended-with-another-fruit flavors, as well; pom-tangerine, pom-blueberry, etc.

I buy it often - makes GREAT mimosas!!!

There's a spiffy POM billboard at my nearest Metro station, but I haven't seen it in stores as yet. I guess it's either coming soon or someone messed up their media buy. :raz:

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

There's a spiffy POM billboard at my nearest Metro station, but I haven't seen it in stores as yet. I guess it's either coming soon or someone messed up their media buy. :raz:

hannnah - check again. It's not in the drink coolers in my area - it's in the produce section of the chain groceries.

I've been wanting to try it. Tomorrow I'm doing a big supermarket shopping. Maybe I'll pick some up.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I buy it often - makes GREAT mimosas!!!

you beat me to it. it goes wonderfully in prosecco.

at a decent dinner party, i offered several bottles of prosecco, along with pomegranate juice, peach nectar, and another nectar of some sort, and i let people mix their own cocktails. they went nuts over the pmegranate. and it's festive, for the holidays.

Knudsen's has been making a pure pomegranate juice for years and years but it doesn't come in a sexy bottle or advertise. You can even buy it at Trader Joe's, but under the TJ label, for a little less. It makes a nice "real" grenadine.

regards,

trillium

Edited by trillium (log)

How much are you paying for your POM? The times I've seen it, the price has been er... not merely expensive, but extreme.

$3.59 for a .... 16 oz bottle, i think.

There's a spiffy POM billboard at my nearest Metro station, but I haven't seen it in stores as yet.  I guess it's either coming soon or someone messed up their media buy.  :raz:

I've seen it at a number of Whole Foods markets in DC and Maryland. It is in the same aisle as the eggs and yogurt.

How would you compare pomegranate juice to cranberry juice? What is the consistency?

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Hannah - I saw it at the Giant in Ashburn Village yesterday where they keep the juices next to the produce section.

It hasn't had a really big splash here in DC yet, but hte billboards are all over in San Francisco.

Bill Russell

How much are you paying for your POM?  The times I've seen it, the price has been er... not merely expensive, but extreme.

at kings, i think a bottle is about 4 or 5 dollars. at least i *think*. maybe i should double check the next time i buy it!

It's about that price for the 8 ounce bottle at the market near me on the UWS. That's why I need to go shopping in NJ.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Yes, POM is indeed tasty. Mixes well with vodka and I've used it with great results in a reduction sauce for seared duck breast and in a vinaigrette dressing for a green salad with fresh chevre, walnuts and port-soaked fig slices.

I will need to investigat ehe Knudsen's juice as a bunch of stores around mecarry a wide range of their stuffs.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

It's about that price for the 8 ounce bottle at the market near me on the UWS. That's why I need to go shopping in NJ.

their website lists 6 15.2 ounce bottles for 20 bucks. jhlurie, are you sure you're thinking of the right stuff? that doesn't seem "extreme" to me. especially if you're mixing it with some prosecco. the stuff goes a long way.

Come on... if its marketed in pre-mixed formulas (tangerine pom, blueberry pom, etc.), do they really expect its default use to be as a mixer (I mean... further mixing)? I think they expect people to drink it straight, and to plop down 4 or 5 bucks each time. Although... yes... that website price is better, especially if it includes shipping.

EDIT - Okay... I see your point. Superpowers. Got it.

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Come on... if its marketed in pre-mixed formulas (tangerine pom, blueberry pom, etc.), do they really expect its default use to be as a mixer? I think they expect people to drink it straight, and to plop down 4 or 5 bucks each time. Although... yes... that website price is better, especially if it includes shipping.

i plop down more for a budweiser.

you gotta remember though, this is an "antioxidant superpower". you can't front on dat.

There's a spiffy POM billboard at my nearest Metro station, but I haven't seen it in stores as yet.  I guess it's either coming soon or someone messed up their media buy.  :raz:

Hannah - I saw it at the Giant in Ashburn Village yesterday where they keep the juices next to the produce section.

It hasn't had a really big splash here in DC yet, but hte billboards are all over in San Francisco.

Ah ha - I'd tried Safeway and Harris Teeter, but not Giant. Thanks!

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard