• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

POM Wonderful

zilla369

You know, I really like POM, but the stuff is really goddamned expensive compared to other generic, non refrigerated pomegranete juices.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

... Like the Trader Joes house brand.

I was spending a ton of money on POM (not liking the TJs brand as much) for mimosas and vodka mixers. One day, perusing Trader Joe's shelves, I stumbled on a *new* juice they are offering: Aronia Berry. It is BETTER than POM and very similar in quality, concentration, and effect as a mixer. Also, very high in antioxidants...

I've been addicted to the Pomegranate/Cherry blend, but I always drink it straight. Tonight for the first time, after reading here, I used it in a cocktail - I substituted it for the Cassis when making a Kir Royale, and it was wonderful (thanks, thread!).

And it really is expensive! I must get myself to Trader Joes.

I think that the health benefits are largely from the "anthrocyanins" (there are alternate spellings, apparently) that give fruits their red coloring; I would think that any true red fruit juice (cherry, etc.) would have the same health benefits. I know that I started drinking cherry juice for arthritis, although there are apparently lots of other health benefits as well.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

• 4 weeks later...

The Pom teas are pretty good. I love the Pomegranate Black and Lychee Green. The Blackberry one isn't very good IMO.

I've been buying about them 2 at a time at the local safeway, where they're buy one get one free right now, which works out to about $1.50 ea before tax and crv

Cheryl