• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Low Carb Hell

The last I heard, the good Doctor was alive and well -- writing, speaking, seeing patients, marketing products. The "heart attack" so gleefully reported in some quarters a while back was in fact an infection that spread to his heart; his CV and other signs are just fine.

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

• 1 year later...

I have been cooking for over 20 years and became certified in 1997. I have been eating low carb since Oct 2003. To date I have lost 44lbs and many inches. All you give up is white refined flour, sugar, fruit(temporaly) white rice and starchy vegetables. I rarely eat proccessed meats or bacon because of the nitrates and choose butter over margerine, not only because it tastes better, butter is also not hydrogenated.

Its really all a matter of taking your old recipes and converting them. I have been eating awide range of vegetables, prepared in many adventurous ways.

I use soy, oat, hemp and many other flours.

If you educate yourself and do some searching, believe me, theres no reason that you should not eat healthy, never go hungry or be satisfied while eating low carb.

By the way Atkins does not promote eating saturated fats. Healthy fats, like olive oil are promoted.

I also don't but premade low carb foods. Yuk. I can cook, so whats the point. Like before low carb. I prefer to make it all myself. I can't even tell you last time I bought a can of soup or tomato sauce. To me its just pointless and overly priced.

Edited by chefs13 (log)

I probably use a few more of the LC processed foods than Chefs13, but not a lot. I keep some LC bread in the freezer to process into bread crumbs for frying cutlets or making stuffing, ditto some LC crackers, and....that's about it. Oh, wait, I do stock up on Guylian's sugar-free dark chocolate when I can find it. But otherwise, I find most of the LC products overpriced, under-flavored and generally lousy. I didn't use muffin mix before I was low-carbing, why would I use it now?

I'm feeling like a broken record here, but what low-carbing has definitely done for my cooking is introduce me to vegetables. I eat a much wider variety than I used to, and am perpetually stunned at how lousy the (non-starchy) vegetables are in anything other than seriously high-end restaurants. As an American, I think I grew up thinking of vegetables primarily as the colorful stuff that rounded out the plate, almost more of an aesthetic statement than something that was supposed to be tasty to eat. Certainly I see that basic assumption -- that vegetables are valuable only for their nutritional content, and should basically just be choked down -- mirrored all over the place in this country. To the extent that any diet means a lifelong change in eating habits, giving vegetables a starring role is a change I think I'll make pretty much permanently.

(snacking on roasted turnip chips and chiptole dip as I type)

Ooh, how do you make those turnip chips? I have tried making faux french fries with turnips, and while I like the flavor, the texture is all wrong. If I could get something crispy from a turnip I would be quite happy...

(actually, I would love to hear about that chipotle dip as well).

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Here here mags. I'm with you on that one.

NulloModo if you have a mandoline, slice the turnip on that. If not an everyday grater slicer will do the trick. Deep fry the turnip for a few minutes. Your basically just blanching the, Remove from frier and let cool. Refry until crisp. Add seasonings. I add garlic powder, onion powder and any spice I have handy thats hot and spicy... I have also done this with celery root. Oh so good

Edited by chefs13 (log)

My turnip chips have never turned out crisp, probably because I've been roasting them, rather than deep-frying, as Chefs13 suggests. I just peel them, slice them relatively thin (I usually don't bother hauling out the mandoline...but I should), toss them with olive oil and quite a lot of black pepper, and roast till they get caramelized. They taste very much like sweet potatoes. In fact, while I've liked straight turnip puree, I'm willing to bet that roasted turnip puree would be both delicious and a good stand-in for sweet-potato casseroles.

As for the chipotle dip...I am covered in shame, here. One of my few prepared-foods weaknesses are Bobby Flay's chile-flavored mayos. And I was dipping my turnip bits into some of his chipotle tartar sauce, which is indredibly delicious. What can I say? Loathe the man, love his mayonnaise.

You know, it's funny. I just came back from a major shopping expedition. I was unloading my cart at the cash register -- green beans, tomatoes, zucchini, jicama, avocado, romaine, scallions, ginger, cilantro, basil, Napa cabbage, onions, eggs, shrimp, sirloin, chiles, coffee -- and the woman behind me was saying to her friend "You're doing that low-carb thing? But it's nothing but steaks and bacon all the time. That can't be healthy!" I just looked at my cart and snickered. :biggrin:

Here, here ;). Tommorrow is my weekly expedition to the farmer's market, and I can already here the groans of my roomates as the kitchen is about to be overrun with fresh herbs and veggies...

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Help<p>I am on a low carb diet ( Dr's orders after high blood pressure scare ) proving to be a bit on the difficult side as apart from cheese, nuts meat etc and a little fruit and stuff I am struggling to find a varied diet that is not too rich in red meat and fats<p>Upside I have lost nearly 20lbs.  Downside, bored out of my skull<p>Any ideas?  And if any one suggests a nice omlette, I am flying over there with a pointy stick and bad intentions:)

Why orders for low carbs only?

My husband (former marathon runner) has a blood pressure problem. His father had it - his grandfather had it - etc. - etc. I think the keys to control are: 1) maintaining proper weight (and at 162 pounds - you seem to be doing ok there unless you're 5 feet tall) - both as a result of keeping an eye on calories and exercise; 2) reducing salt intake (and water retention); and 3) taking blood pressure meds if necessary (my husband is about 160 - fit - and still needs a lot of meds).

We eat everything - in moderation (99% of the time). I'm not sure how reducing carbs can lower blood pressure - unless it's part of a diet you're using to lose weight. Robyn

Low-carb / lo-carb ------AARRGGGHHHHH!

I wish the word about 'GOOD-carb' would get out! I have been losing 1/2 pound a week over the last year just by getting rid of the sugar and eating starches (within limits) that have some bite to it. I don't deny myself, but I do make choices.

The original post about lowering carbs to lower blood pressure also was puzzling. But, I do know that when I eat unrefined starches, I retain fluid. I go back to whole grain stuff, and off goes the fluid. Just a modest drop in weight can also lower your pressure. I am still heavy, but my pressure and blood numbers have pleased my MD. And --- I'm still on my way down the scale.

Mags -- that comment from the person in line behind you made me laugh! It is always the people who don't know what they are talking about who bring up the steak and bacon thing!!

But, I do know that when I eat unrefined starches, I retain fluid.

Jo-mel I think that rings true for everyone. The reason for that it because those unrefined carbs actually hold onto water, hence the retaining.

Yes I certainly agree with you about the "good carbs" Its all in the wording. Now what if they had a book out called "the Good Carb Diet" Hmm now theres a thought

A lot of the low-carb diets are in fact good-carb diets. Atkins and South Beach both allow a healthy amount of good complex carbs, including fruits, veggies, whole grains, etc, but the time you are in the final stages. The only reason for the severe restrictions in the beginning is to kickstart the metabolism and to accelerate the weight-loss. That is great you have been able to take off half a pound a week, but that pace would be seen as intolerably slow by many would-be dieters.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Unless you are very overweight (what is defined as "obese"), if you are losing more than a pound or maybe a pound and a half a week, you are most probably losing muscle mass.

Not. Good. Watch your resting metabolic rate drop, kids! Eat less, stay where you are! Add another decimal point to those statistical dieters who've regained all the weight back and then some!

A half-pound a week by a method sustainable in the long-term is excellent progress, I'd say.

I agree, I didn't mean to suggest that half a pound a week was a bad thing, but from a dieters standpoint, taking a look at one means which promises half a pound a week, and another which shows people losing 3 to 5 pounds a week, and most will go with the second plan.

The muscle loss issue is one of the big reasons I believe it is absolutely neccessary to have an exercise plan in place for anyone who plans on losing weight however, not only to promote muscle growth instead of loss, but also to develop good habits for later in life so that one does not get back into the position which required the diet to begin.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Well said Mr. Modo!

An exercise plan that includes weight training is essential, regardless of gender. Increased lean body mass via resistance training and ketosis are a two sided metabolic sword for slicing off fat and keeping it off - permanently.

Execise in my opinion is essential to any way of living. As for the weight loss during the 1st 2 weeks of induction on Atkins. Most of that is water. Carbs hold onto water. If you restrict the refined carbs and only eat complex carbs. Then the body lets go of that excess water and in turn weens your body of refined carbs. Same rule of thumb if you quit smoking, if you ask most smokers. Its the 1st 2 weeks that they need to get through in order to get the nicotine out of the system. Drinking half your body weight of water in ounces helps promote this cleansing. The rest is just mind over matter.

I have been following Atkins for 11 months now, I lose an average of 4 Lbs a month, and you know thats ok with me. I'm losing not gaining. I eat enough complex carbs to please any farm animal and I don't go crazy with the meats. Portion controled.

Protien is essential for muscle build. I don't eat alot of eggs, but they are the only natural food that contains all the essential protiens. My muscle has improved. But exercise and weight training are essential for that growth and to also firm up. Believe me. I'm 43 and I'm in better shape, mentally and phsically then I have ever been. Not only that, Atkins has made me totally aware of what I'm putting in my body and the effects it has on me personally. I for 1 can't eat alot of dairy products. It stalls my weight loss.

Sugar alcohol... never. Unless I want to feel bloated and have an upset stomach. So all those low carb treats out there are just not for me.

The key is to keep it as natural as possible. Healthy whole foods.

I'm not here to promote Atkins by any means. It doesn't work for everyone. But it does for me. My bad cholesterol is down, good up. And health issues I had before Atkins have all vanished.

I have tried every diet on the planet and this works for me.

Unless you're like me in which case, I eat all the carbs I want and I still have a 29" waist. (Yeah, ppl, its not true that once you turn 31, things go to hell....only if you're an ectomorph like me. heh. so maybe in your next life, if you happen to have the right parents, you won't be in the position you're in now.)

Yeah, well, wait'll you hit 33 and THEN see what happens. Although if your family runs to slenderness, you :cool: might maintain your lithe frame. Envy raiseth its ugly head in this corner.

However, for me, and for many people I know, 33 was the magic year when metabolism turned WAY down.

Now, if you think about it, you're born, and you about double in mass (size, and tissue types) in a geometrical progression for the first three years. Then growth slows a bit. You are moving from infancy to childhood.

10 years later, 13 years old and puberty, although the change process may start earlier.

10 years later, twenty-three. Seems like you can eat whatever you want as long as you get your exercise.

10 years, thirty-three. The gaining years. It takes more planning and calculating to lose.

Okay, today's crazy metabolism theory, but I think the 30-year clock should start ticking at three years of age.

Gee, I think I need a snack.