• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Low Carb Hell

Absolutely

I have lost nearly 60lbs and have been at the weight I am now for a year. ( 162lbs for the record )

I still eat carbs but in moderation and only if the stuff is great ( so at the xmas bash last night I chowed down on chocolates and some of Rosie's home made bread

I just don' eat all the crap

I also have a fairly punishing fitness regime

I think the point about a lifestyle change is valid. My dietary habits are entirely different, but I still eat like a horse. Hell I even eat the horse

S

Unless you're like me in which case, I eat all the carbs I want and I still have a 29" waist. (Yeah, ppl, its not true that once you turn 31, things go to hell....only if you're an ectomorph like me. heh. so maybe in your next life, if you happen to have the right parents, you won't be in the position you're in now.)

Life without carbs = pure hell.

Yay.

SA

I also have a fairly punishing fitness regime

Simon, tell us about your fitness regime.

(I can confirm Simon is surprisingly thin.)

Was this the point at the Xmas Bash during which I turned to see Simon holding up his jumper, and several people crowding round to poke at his belly? :wink:

Pickled eggs work pretty well.... I made 'em with fake sugar of some sort and they were just fine.

I think egg snacks are the easiest to pick out of the fridge. Hmmm...what was that one? Hard-boil some, then crack the shells all over and rotate for a couple hours in a shallow bowl with (the original recipe calls for brown sugar, but these work with fake sugar) soy, liquid smoke and sugar.

Pickled eggs - I like 'em spicy-sweet. Vinegar (the time I used habanero-pickling vinegar was the time I thought about going into the egg-pickling business), fake sugar, hot-sauce additive or some such...maybe toss in some punctured habaneros.

Deviled eggs. (poverty-stricken gourmet tip - use Old Bay instead of paprika. Eliminate any salt in your current recipe)

Stuffed cherry peppers.

He'd look thinner if he was taller, wouldn't he? (Best to poke fun at boxers from other side of ocean.)

Impressed as I am by the fitness regime, it makes it hard to assess the independent effectiveness of the diet in Simon's individual case. I should think I would weigh 162lbs if I did all that, regardless of eating the odd bun.

I did, out of curiosity, try the ketosis thing earlier this year. My personal experience was that of a very slight weight loss, and then tedious maintenance without any further loss. Personally, I find weight is lost much faster on a low fat diet with small portions. But that's purely anecdotal.

If Robert Schonfeld's looking in, was there a typo here: "I lost about seventy pounds on a low-carb no-fat high-protein diet more than thirty years ago. Meat, fish, eggs, hard cheese, yogurt some vegetables." Doesn't look like a no-fat diet.

He'd look thinner if he was taller, wouldn't he?

I've never noticed his size because I'm always blinded by staring down at his glowing pate.

His brother has a fine head of hair. And a pleasant demeanour. Funny how things get handed out so unfairly.

Oh well if you insist

3 x 12 mile runs a week ( not this week as I have a filthy cold)

2 upper body heavy weights sessions

2 lower body weights sessions

and the sit ups.  I try and do 2,000 per week

Fucking kills me

S

don't you think you would have lost all the weight on this regime alone without depriving yourself chip butties?

Dr. Atkins is getting even richer now – which I do not begrudge the man in the least – marketing low-carb food and food-like items to a public that is finally ready for them. Here’s an experiment with one such item:

I just made my first batch of blueberry muffins from his mix, and they are better than “not bad.” The crumb is different from regular muffins (very fine and tender), and there’s just a hint, more a slight aroma, of blueberry flavoring (which the label claims to be natural), but overall, I’m pleasantly surprised. The muffins even contain pieces of real blueberry, not as good as whole, fresh berries, but superior to those gummy fake buds that infest even bakery and coffee-cart muffins these days. A few supplemental berries would slightly up the carb count, but I’d consider adding them the next time, perhaps reducing the amount of water in compensation.

I used only butter, not the mixture of oil and butter that is suggested, I’d guess, to appease the gods of political correctness by allowing the cholesterol count per muffin on the label to round down to zero. Besides fat, the home baker adds eggs and water to the mix. I filled a normal twelve-muffin tray, not the suggested eighteen-holer; cooking time turned out to be sixteen minutes, the lower end of the range in the directions.

Adjusted for their increased size, each muffin contains under five grams of digestible carbohydrate and about 250 calories, making for a useful diet adjunct if not consumed a tray at a time.

This initial report is based on a muffin twenty minutes out of the oven. I’ll follow up after I’ve tasted one aged a few hours and then grilled.

- - - - -

Follow-up: I broiled a muffin that sat overnight, wrapped, and my appraisal has not changed. Ditto for muffins frozen for up to a week.

Before buying such a product as Atkins’ muffin mix, consider first whether you’d prefer to wean yourself completely from the enchanting scent and taste of cakes and breadstuffs.

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook