• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bombay Style Thick Dal

k43

Many years ago, my parents had a woman from Bombay stay with us through the Experiment in International Living. (Her name was Vasantika Vakil.) She made a dal that was dark brown and quite thick -- the consistency of (very grainy) mashed potatoes -- fried up in a frying pan. I'm not sure it even had lentils in it, and I think it had a sort of black Indian caraway (which looked like black onion seeds), which no Indian grocer in NYC has been able to identify.

I loved it and have been very disappointed when I went to the standard Indian restaurants and had the sort of thin yellow lentil soup.

Does anyone have a recipe and the name of the secret caraway seeds?

Many thanks.

Many years ago, my parents had a woman from Bombay stay with us through the Experiment in International Living. (Her name was Vasantika Vakil.) She made a dal that was dark brown and quite thick -- the consistency of (very grainy) mashed potatoes -- fried up in a frying pan. I'm not sure it even had lentils in it, and I think it had a sort of black Indian caraway (which looked like black onion seeds), which no Indian grocer in NYC has been able to identify.

I loved it and have been very disappointed when I went to the standard Indian restaurants and had the sort of thin yellow lentil soup.

Does anyone have a recipe and the name of the secret caraway seeds?

Many thanks.

if it didn't have lentils in it it wouldn't be called a dal. kadhi maybe? is there no way for you to get in touch with ms. vakil? what did the seeds taste like?

Sounds like Lachka dal from Gujarati cooking to me, which would be a mashed potato consistency, it would be toor or mung dal boiled till it mashes itself and then reduce it to mashed potato consistency. To season it would be desireable Tadka and spice. Maybe I will try and post a recipe when I have a little more time.Its a homestyle dish therefore you would not see it in restaurants. If you go to Gujrati style Thali restaurants though you may verywell find it.

"Burgundy makes you think of silly things, Bordeaux

makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them." Brillat-Savarin

I think the black caraway seeds are the same used in Israeli and other Middle Eastern cooking. The Eastern Europeans call them charnushka, in Israel they are Nigella. You can get them by mail at The Spice House. You can always call the owners, Patty & Tom Erd, and ask them. They are very, very helpful. Their phone number is (312) 274-0378.

If you haven't been to their site lately, GO! It's new, and beautiful, and their product is spectacular!

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"