• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your favorite cereals are back

Jason Perlow

Recently while visiting my local TARGET store I noticed in their food section they had several cereals that were missing from the public eye for a good 10 years or so, namely the Monster Cereals (BooBerry, Frankenberry) and Quisp.

boo-berry-card.gif

I embarrassingly admit that I love these sugary kiddie cereals -- I dont even put them in milk, I eat em right out of the box.

Got a favorite kiddie cereal? Lets hear!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Shredded Wheat?  Rosie... how can you call that a kiddie cereal? :)

Corn Pops--which were once more accurately called "Sugar Corn Pops"--were my favorite.  As an older kid I changed over to Corn Chex, but again that's out of kiddie land.

Sugar Smacks (gee... they had sugar in the name too... hmmm) were a favorite as well.  Rice Crispies--which might as well have been called "Sugar Rice Crispies" were number 3 in my household, and SUGAR Frosted Flakes were about 4th (later replaced by non-sugared Corn Flakes when we were older).

My grandmother always bought us Fruit Loops.  It seems that she was obsessed with us eating healthy, but this was before the days that it was common knowledge that most kiddie cereals were horrible for you.  In her mind, "Fruit" meant it was healthy.

(Edited by jhlurie at 5:21 pm on Sep. 24, 2001)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Sure, they may have Quisp, but do they have Quake? Quisp and Quake were marketed as twin cereals by Quaker in the 60s. I even had a Quisp ragdoll.

In truth, I mail-ordered a box of Quisp (for บ) a couple of years ago, and was not all that impressed. Guess it's true what they say: you can't go home again. Nowadays I put chocolate soymilk on my non-GMO, organically grown corn flakes.

Quote: from jhlurie on 3:43 pm on Sep. 24, 2001

Rice Crispies--which might as well have been called "Sugar Rice Crispies" were number 3 in my household.

because you added sugar to them?  they're not too high in sugar content on their own...i hope!!

when i was about 12, my father said "you're not eating that sh*t any more."  he was probably just in a bad mood and wanted to make up a new rule, as he was never big on nutrition.  i didn't mind though, as i always liked cheerios and rice krispies.

to this day, if i buy cereal, it is cheerios, rice krispies, rice checks, or Kix.  oh man, how i love them.  the thing is, it's got to be 2 bowls for me.  no less.  they are addictive.  and please, no sugar in my cereal.

that being said, i just remembered that freshman year in college, i ate, every day, sometimes 3 meals a day, Frankenberry...and a cheesesteak if it wasn't breakfast.  and yes, i smoked a lot of pot if that's not obvious from that diet.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

yes, i smoked a lot of pot if that's not obvious from that diet

Hey man... where's the Frankenberry?  Man, who messed with my Frankenberry.  Where the @ is the Frankenberry?  

Oh, never mind.  It's right here.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Its a toss up between Chocula and Krispies I think. but then you have to figure in the Cocoa Pebbles factor as well.

poscp3.gif

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I must differ with your  revelation..for those suburban moms , these cereals have never gone away.  Stop by any central Jersey Foodtown,a nd you're talking every cereal..and many that you named now have generic equivilants...Lucky charms = "Horseshoes and O's" Richmond Foods brand, for example.  At 5.99 a box, I have been know to buy generic, and refill the box.  We go through 3-4 boxes per week, Honey nut Cheerios are a favorite, Fruit Loops for the youngest, and Fruity Pebbles or Trix for the 14 year old sugar freak.  I like Honey bunces of Oats.  The kids love those mini boxes, but only for vacations, or for school snacks.  My one kid brings cocoa puffs in the mini box for snack time, with a pint of milk and orange slices.  I figure the orange slices take me off the workld's worst mother list.

Gross! It is porridge that is soul food!

Congee...Kasha with onions and cheese...Pilaf of toasted whole oats with butter, salt, pepper and cream...Grits with ham and cheese...Japanese sweet rice porridge with dashi and seafood...Toasted long-grain brown rice pilaf...Mixed whole grains with sausage meat...

• 4 weeks later...
Quote: from tommy on 4:57 pm on Sep. 24, 2001
Quote: from jhlurie on 3:43 pm on Sep. 24, 2001

Rice Crispies--which might as well have been called "Sugar Rice Crispies" were number 3 in my household.

because you added sugar to them?  they're not too high in sugar content on their own...i hope!!

I think you forgot about Frosted Rice Krispies. Something similar is now Rice Krispies Treats cereal. Checking Kellogg's website

http://www.kelloggs.com/products/cereals.html

they now also have a product called Kellogg's® Crunchin' Krispies®, has anyone ever tried this?

What happened to Apple Jacks and Captain Crunch?  They were my two absolute favorites which my mother tried to supplement with Cheerios (yuck) to make herself feel better.

As an adult I tried to satisfy my inner child with Apple Cinnamon Cheerios, but it didn't quite cut it.

I should mention that this information is confidential as I will only buy my stepdaugher Kix and it could blow up in my face ;)

Quote: from schmoopie on 2:25 pm on Oct. 18, 2001

What happened to Apple Jacks and Captain Crunch?

I think they are both still available nationally. Captain Crunch is definitely still on my local shelves and Apple Jacks is still on the product listings at the Kellogg's website.

• 2 years later...

Only the marshmallows in Lucky Charms please.

I did like this one cereal that came out a little later, called Brown Cow. I fell for the commercial. After pouring the milk over the cereal and stirring it around, the milk would instantly turn into chocolate milk. What could be more intriguing at the breakfast table than a little magic?

my brother and i were all about golden grahams and cinnamon toast crunch when we were younger. it was rare that we were ever allowed to get them, because my parents we generally no-sugary cereal folk, but on those rare occasions, it was so good. we'd sneak froot loops and count chocula from my cousin's house every time when we went over there, because their parent's weren't so strict about which cereals they allowed in the house. As far as hot cereals, we loved peaches & cream instant oatmeal. we were allowed to have that only on rare occasion as well.

I'm with Rosie, completely deprived childhood filled with rasin bran and oatmeal.

I saw fruity pebbles for the first time about a month ago. My first thought was "hey they aren't even pebbles, what the heck?!" They are more like little flakettes.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Anybody remember those instant oatmeal packets that also had a tube of sugary goo (maple syrup, or strawberry sauce, etc...) that you could squeeze on top? Those were so great!

I also was a fan of toaster struedels. I gotta give props to my mom, she never got pop-tarts and went for the higher quality toaster streudel. :smile:

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario