• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Santa Monica seafood restaurants

DavidJS

I'm having a casual business lunch meeting this coming Thursday. Lucky me that I was asked to choose whichever restaurant I like. Recently had Malibu Seafood in the PCH - delicious stuff! Anything as good in the Santa Monica/ Venice Beach area for a lunch meeting. The dungeoness crab is a bonus.

DavidJS,

I haven't been to Malibu Seafood, but I understand it to be really informal. Only thing I can think of that's as low key as that is Reel Inn, but IMHO the food is pretty lackluster.

The Lobster has a great view and good food, but quite a bit more formal and fussy.

One place that I like a lot is Library Ale House on Main Street. Not exactly in the same vein as Malibu Seafood - I'd characterize it as California pub food - really good fish and chips, and various contemporary sandwiches like seared tuna with Asian cole slaw. Great beers on tap. No view, away from the beach, but a nice patio in the back that would be good for a meeting.

Marix is a decent setting, but the food is not as good as might be expected, IMHO.

Possibly Chez Jay, Enterprise Fish Co., or the Galley, but a little more expensive and I haven't been to any of them. Good luck!

Thanks all for your suggestion I made a decision to hit Lobster near the Pier for the luncheon. Considering I'm a lobster freakazoid and love the ocean view. Ocean Ave. Seafood was tempting but last thing I want is the person picking up the tab grumbling all the way to his car. :biggrin:

There will be plenty to "grumble" about the check at Lobster as well. It's good but it aint cheap!

D

Ironically, when it was just a little shack with a view of the street, the Lobster was real cheap, but that was long ago.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.