• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grimes gives up his poison pen

pepperedpalate

new reviewer will want to put their own mark on the 4 stars. It's starting to look pretty crowded at the top and it would seem that if the new reviewer adds one they will need to take one away. I didn't mean to imply they would re-review all the top places.

If Per Se comes in as a 4 star, any bets on who might be demoted or will they keep the current crop?

Can you explain why you think that only 5 or 6 restaurants can carry a 4 star rating at any one time. Granted the standards are high, but if a new restaurant is capable of meeting that standard, why should another worthy venue lose a star?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

STEINGARTEN!

We know at least one thing -- he likes to eat. And he's a real New Yorker.

He's also too much of a culinary personality to hold the position, or so I would think. Of course I'd really love to read reviews by a guy who likes eating and a weekly dose of Steingarten would be welcome, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet he doesn't want the job. I'm not a betting man and probably financially better off for that fact, however.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Is Eric related to Isaac? If so , that's out of this world, man!

He's his grandson. I believe Eric's dad started NY Newsday or is one of the top people in that organization.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I suppose it can't be a newbie too much...I mean, it has to be someone whose picture is somewhat recognizeable, you know, for those whose job it is to keep track of such things, so that when Mr. or Mrs. X dines out at Restaurant Y, the chef, the staff and FOH know that Mr. or Mrs. X is the NYTimes restaurant critic and act accordingly, Ruth Reichl's disguises notwithstanding.

:raz:

Soba

STEINGARTEN!

Ha! :smile: I wish. Restaurants know his smiling face too well. And the pay cut. And the fact that his normal NY eating schedule -- going anywhere he wants anytime he wants -- would be replaced by the rigor of a reviewer's schedule. And he would probably have to give up his lovely assistants -- unless the Times would be willing to fund.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

http://www.msnbc.com/news/996928.asp?0cv=KB20&cp1=1

Exit interview with William Grimes on MSNBC

How about a favorite hole-in-the-wall restaurant?

My recent hole-in-the-wall restaurant has been The Chipper, which is just a fish-and-chips place on Queens Boulevard that was closed for a while because there was a fire on the block. I kinda like bad British food.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Is Eric related to Isaac? If so , that's out of this world, man!

He's his grandson. I believe Eric's dad started NY Newsday or is one of the top people in that organization.

I think Eric is Isaac's nephew; that is, Eric's father is Isaac's brother.

Eric and Amanda Hesser took turns writing the food review when Grimes was on leave. I really enjoyed both of their reviews. I don't find Grimes reviews particularly helpful or entertaining.

I don't recall Amanda hesser ever writing a New York Times restaurant review, as in the main review with stars. I believe only Eric Asimov, Frank Prial, and Marian Burros have ever substituted for the main reviewer. I believe Amanda Hesser wrote some $25 and under pieces, as did Sam Sifton, while Eric Asimov was filling in for Grimes.

Eric Asimov is the son of the late Stanley Asimov, the Newsday executive. Stanley and Isaac Asimov were brothers.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

STEINGARTEN!

Ha! :smile: I wish. Restaurants know his smiling face too well. And the pay cut. And the fact that his normal NY eating schedule -- going anywhere he wants anytime he wants -- would be replaced by the rigor of a reviewer's schedule. And he would probably have to give up his lovely assistants -- unless the Times would be willing to fund.

Steingarten would never take a reviewer's position, because his job is ten times better. But being recognized has nothing to do with it. From the perspective of dining-room managers at the high end of the restaurant business, Grimes is the most recognizable person in the whole world. This whole issue of anonymity, perpetuated and repeated ad nauseam by spokespeople from the Times, is a red herring: the Times reviewer is almost always recognized.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

This whole issue of anonymity, perpetuated and repeated ad nauseam by spokespeople from the Times, is a red herring: the Times reviewer is almost always recognized.

At least, he's recognized in restaurants where it could matter. I truly believe that, in most restaurants, if they knew they were being reviewed they would panic and screw up.

Bruce

• 2 months later...

Arthur Lubow???

On WNYC, Leonard Lopate has a promo for his show today (Friday, 2/6/04) on which there will be a discussion of Spain as the new France, with Ruth Reichl and

New York Times food critic Arthur Lubow

Does this mean Lubow is IT!?!?!?

Here's the blurb on the Lopate segment. From the way it's worded, probably not. But you never know. :rolleyes:

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

Arthur Lubow???

On WNYC, Leonard Lopate has a promo for his show today (Friday, 2/6/04) on which there will be a discussion of Spain as the new France, with Ruth Reichl and

New York Times food critic Arthur Lubow

Does this mean Lubow is IT!?!?!?

Here's the blurb on the Lopate segment. From the way it's worded, probably not. But you never know. :rolleyes:

I listened to the show. He identified Lubow as a contributing writer to the NY Times Magazine.

Actually, thanks for the alert. I like Lopate's food segments and always forget to check when they're scheduled for.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

I like Sam Sifton the best of all the NYT writers, but for him it would kind of be a step backwards. Still though, who else would write "in a sauce that could only be described as yucky" in the NYT.

Then again, R.W. Apple might want to spend more time in New York...

Then again, R.W. Apple might want to spend more time in New York...

It's definitely not Apple. He was just named a special reporter covering the 2004 election. I figure it's his excuse to dine all over the US.

FWIW, Diner's Journal today (Riingo) is by Sam Sifton. I've stopped trying to read the chicken entrails, though. After all, I was one who said George the First would never win because who would vote for someone who looked like he'd married his mom?

Did anyone think to ask Marian Burros while she was here? Could she provide some inside dirt?

Looks as though no one did. And even if someone had, she probably wouldn't have said. But she did say this in response to Fat Guy asking whether she looked at eGullet much:

I do but I will more now. You are a formidable bunch and I thank you for a stimulating week. I wish I could have done more but you caught me while I was doing two jobs: regular and reviewing. That is now over and I'm off to try to flavors of New Zealand

Note the last sentence. Tease!!! :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...