• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grimes gives up his poison pen

pepperedpalate

Apparently Bill Grimes has stepped down from his restaurant critic position as the Times.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.poynter.org/content/content_view.asp?id=55025

Midson

-Midson-

A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart, who looks at her watch

-James Beard-

Not to mention that a lot of the top places will probably be up for re-review after they name a successor.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Yeah, imagine my surprise when I got home from an appointment this morning and there wasn't a single voicemail message from the Times asking me to fill the position. :laugh:

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

How do we start a write-in campaign? Who do we contact?

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

"Not to mention that a lot of the top places will probably be up for re-review after they name a successor."

Why? If the Times wasn't embarrassed keeping 1998 Reichl four star sacred cow reviews up throughout the Grimes tenure, what's a few more years for the likes of Le Bernardin and Jean-Georges?

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Hesser has no interest in being a restaurant critic. At the 92nd St Y panel on monday night she talked about how much she hated her brief turn doing the job - particularly all the scheduling and getting friends to agree to eat according to her reviewing needs.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Hesser has no interest in being a restaurant critic. At the 92nd St Y panel on monday night she talked about how much she hated her brief turn doing the job - particularly all the scheduling and getting friends to agree to eat according to her reviewing needs.

yea, it's understandable.

much better to be an "interesting food + restaurant" writer than the restaurant reviewer.

too many particulars associated with reviewing.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I think that she is also way too recognized to be a reviewer at this point in her career.

"Not to mention that a lot of the top places will probably be up for re-review after they name a successor."

Why? If the Times wasn't embarrassed keeping 1998 Reichl four star sacred cow reviews up throughout the Grimes tenure, what's a few more years for the likes of Le Bernardin and Jean-Georges?

Depends on the place. Certainly the new reviewer will want to put their own mark on the 4 stars. It's starting to look pretty crowded at the top and it would seem that if the new reviewer adds one they will need to take one away. I didn't mean to imply they would re-review all the top places.

If Per Se comes in as a 4 star, any bets on who might be demoted or will they keep the current crop?

~ Fernand Point

And I think Asimov would have gotten the job last time if it were to happen.

This assumes, of course, that Asimov even wants the job. He has a pretty good gig going with "$25 and under."

And does it well, I think. (Of course this is the opinion of someone who hasn't been to a NYC restaurant since before Asimov was born.)

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

STEINGARTEN!

We know at least one thing -- he likes to eat. And he's a real New Yorker.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I'd say either Eric Asimov or Amanda Hesser.

Or it could be someone who's not on the radar.

Soba

The inside track has Eric Asimov aboard. A close friend of his tells me he has the job if he wants it, and he does.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"