• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

hard coffee drinks

guajolote

Anna, is this the stuff with caraway, or without?

It's caraway-flavoured and I still make the coffee (every Sunday morning!) according to my late father-in-law's instructions:

Drop a dime into a small coffee cup. Add strong coffee until you can no longer see the dime. Add akvavit until the dime reappears. Add lots of sugar.

I have dispensed with the dime but the relative quantities remain the same.

This could be why I think there are only 6 days in a week. :raz:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I like a layered Pousse Cafe

In a tall, thin glass pour carefully, so that they float on each other, in order

Sugar Syrup (can be coloured and/or flavoured)

Sweet black coffee

Sprits (e.g Irish Whiskey or any of the ones mentioned)

Cream, or egg nog

Whipped cream

Sprinkles

Any of the layers can be additionally coloured or flavoured), for example tint the cream green and add peppermint, or pink and framboise

Vulgar? Who me?

I like espresso after dinner and although I've tried and enjoyed whisky and found brandy better, I've come to the conclusion that nothing does it for me like the combination of a good aged sipping rum such as Ron del Barrelito from Puerto Rico and espresso. Brandy and whiskies are better on the side as is anything else I find worth drinking. It's best to start with a good espresso and add the rum as you drink some coffee taking care to keep the cup full. At some point you may be drinking straight rum, which is fine too.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.