• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Personal Blends

melkor

I've long been on the quest for the perfect cup, my current blend is pretty well to my liking. Unfortunately the blend is made of the scraps of green coffee that were sitting around - some I have more of, others I'll substitute for. It's got a light chocolate tone to it, some fruityness, a little earthyness, and a fair amount of body. It's roughly made up of 10% aged toraja, 30% kenya, 30% yemeni moka, 30% Kona. I'm roasting it at a low temp (350 or so) for 25-30 minutes until it just hits second crack, blended before it goes into the roaster. It's brewed in a bodum eSantos electric vac-pot. I'm really pleased with the end result. What are the other home roasters using for their daily cup? What blend? How dark? Which roasting/brewing method(s)?

edit: spelling.

I don't often blend my beans. I have experimented a little, mixing a Bali Shinzan with a Yemen Mohka, but usually I just roast single bean (I have about 20 different beans in the cellar currently). I really enjoy experiencing the differences among the various beans. In that respect I find it very similar to drinking wine.

I’m currently using a Hot Top drum roaster. I like it as it has a longer (at least longer than my fresh roast plus) roast cycle, which seems to result in a bit more body. I usually roast my beans somewhere in between just prior to 2nd crack and about 40 seconds into 2nd crack. My usual prep method is french press, although, I do prefer using my Cona Vacuum when time permits.

I started with home brewing about 8 months ago. It sure is addictive (as well as fun)!

I'm on my roasting hiatus temporarily until I close on my house and get out of my temporary quarters. I seem to end up drinking straight varietals most of the time for my drip coffee - the Sumatran Mandheling and similar have gained my favor due to the robust body and low acidity. I've done a bunch of experimenting on espresso blends and still haven't settled on what I like best.

I really like flavoured beans. Currently I have Vanilla Hazelnut beans and Egg Nog Beans. I sometimes mix a nice Columbian with the Vanilla hazelnut. I have not yet tried roasting my own :blink:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I really like flavoured beans. Currently I have Vanilla Hazelnut beans and Egg Nog Beans. I sometimes mix a nice Columbian with the Vanilla hazelnut. I have not yet tried roasting my own :blink:

You won't be able to find the chemicals they use to flavor the beans, so home roasting may not be a good option for you. One of the few exceptions is chocolate, which you can add by tossing some coco nibs in with the beans when you grind them.

• 5 months later...