• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

need a new range cooker

One thing you might want to check (and the information is hard to get) is what is the lowest and the highest temperature the ovens will reliably run at?

I would hope to see under 45C/100F for the lowest temperature (sous-vide fish) and over 300C/600F for pizza..

I would hope to see under 45C/100F for the lowest temperature (sous-vide fish) and over 300C/600F for pizza..

I wouldn't hold your breath though. These aren't exactly modest requirements. I don't think my rather more expensive oven could reach reliably that high or that low. Unfortunately with ovens/cookers you tend to get what you pay for, though most of the time it's rather difficult to know exactly what that is.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

...Not keen on Lacanche. ...

If I might humbly point you at the following...

http://www.fireandknives.com/newsletter/newsletter4.htm

... it's a protracted cry of anguish from the day they dragged me, weeping from my Lacanche

Tim Hayward

"Anyone who wants to write about food would do well to stay away from

similes and metaphors, because if you're not careful, expressions like

'light as a feather' make their way into your sentences and then where are you?"

Nora Ephron

• 3 weeks later...
Here's my toledo90 which I am very, very happy with.

my previosu was a 6 burner smeg which was OK but I'm much happier with this - seems more substantial & easier to clean

I continue to have bad luck with my 6 burner Smeg.

The first one had so many faults, it had to be replaced, which was done courtesy of the retailer, not Smeg. I opted for a Smeg again, as I was convinced that my first cooker must have been a "Monday" one, and in any case, the retailer had nothing comparable.

Within 6 months, I had problems with the wok rings, and paid €80 for a callout. Just today, I forked out another €105 because the element on the oven gave up its will to live (it is less than 2 years old).

These cookers retail for €3,992 over here and are guaranteed for only one year. Smeg, as a company, doesn't appear to be at all concerned about the shabby quality of its product. So, take my advice and don't go near them.

I am so, so disappointed with my expensive mistake.

• 8 months later...

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as we are in the market for a 90-100cm cooker and I have a couple of questions:

- I'd like dual fuel to get an electric oven, a gas oven and a gas hob. However most seem to have an electric grill whereas I'd prefer a gas for the speed of response (and I'd like it to be separate from the ovens). Does anyone know why so many have electric grills and is my scepticism misplaced?

- What about induction hobs? Are there any in my price range (£1000-2000)?

Many thanks.

Biasco do quite a few induction hobs in that price range. I've used them recently to buy a cooker & dishwasher and they were pretty quick and painless to deal with.

As far as I know, there are no DF cookers on the market that combine both electric and gas oven...

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as we are in the market for a 90-100cm cooker and I have a couple of questions:

- I'd like dual fuel to get an electric oven, a gas oven and a gas hob.  However most seem to have an electric grill whereas I'd prefer a gas for the speed of response (and I'd like it to be separate from the ovens).  Does anyone know why so many have electric grills and is my scepticism misplaced?

- What about induction hobs?  Are there any in my price range (£1000-2000)?

Many thanks.

Edited by Sea Urchin Ragout (log)

I'm glad you resurrected this Winot - good timing as I am looking to move house and want to have a full-on pro kitchen. My issue is that a lot of ranges that are sold have no where near the heat levels or power that I am looking for, as I am looking for something similar to a professional range (which I believe have more power as they have larger gas pipes?!). I have been recommended the Falcon line for this, but would love to hear from anyone with views on Falcon, and indeed any other ranges worth considering.

Thanks,

David

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?