• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fowler's Grocery (Durham, NC)

Zeb A

Does anyone know whether it remains closed, and, if so, whether there are plans to reopen?

I don't recall where I saw it, but I read that someone bought them out of bankruptcy and they plan to reopen under the Fowlers name. Not sure of when that'll happen, either, but if they're smart, it'll be soon to take advantage of the holidays.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

• 4 weeks later...

Fowler's Grocery is indeed open. They re-openned just prior to Thanksgiving. I haven't had a chance to stop by and check it out, but a peek in while driving by looks like they're well stocked in the wine and housewares department.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

In the early 1970s I was a grad student at UNC, and there was a Fowler's grocery on Franklin St, just west of the "main" part of downtown. At the time, it was the closest thing to a "gourmet" store Chapel Hill had to offer (we could only afford to shop there on payday :laugh:). They are long gone now (no idea how long), but is the Fowler's in Durham related to the old one in Chapel Hill?

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

I think at one time there was a relationship, but the Chapel Hill Fowler's was known for two things: their "Big Bertha" walk in room full of beer and their eccentric, Peter Boyle look-alike wine guy. The Durham Fowlers was much more of a "gourmet" shop.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites