• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tommy's Roast Pork

rockhopper

What happened to Tommy's Roast Pork in Cherry Hill. It's boarded up like there was a fire there. Now I have to go to Tony Luke's for a decent rp sandwich...

Never heard of Tommy's. My loss. Where were they?

Tony Luke's sandwich is indeed decent - but my favorite is DeNic's in the Reading Terminal Market (with aged provolone and greens). Also check out George's in the Italian Market - the one across from D'Angelo's Butcher Shop. Their's is a different pork sandwich and very good.

Tommy - place that slab of pork on a kaiser roll and we're talking a good eatin' sandwich.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

yea, i neva heard of tommy's in cherry hill either.

i know the dinic family has a branch on either black horse pike, i think in audubon or bellmawr or barrington.

passed by it enough times, can't remember what township it's in.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

yea, i neva heard of tommy's in cherry hill either.

i know the dinic family has a branch on either black horse pike, i think in audubon or bellmawr or barrington.

passed by it enough times, can't remember what township it's in.

DiNic's is at the corner of the Black Horse Pike and King's Highway, in what was once a White Tower. I'm pretty sure it's in Mt. Ephraim.

Tommy's is at the end of Brace Rd where Brace goes into Haddonfield-Berlin Rd, across from Winner Ford. It's on the right side if you are going south on Brace Rd.

Another pretty good place is Piggy Joe's, on the grounds of the Pennsauken Mart, by the movie theater. I'm not a fan of their roast pork. It's a little on the dry side, compared to DiNic's and Tony Luke's. The "slop factor" is a must for a good roast pork sandwich. Piggy Joe's chicken cutlet with provolone and broccoli rabe is very good. They sell crab fries, too, and they win for convenience since it's less than 5 minutes from home.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link to the courier post story. It did burn down. Right now they have razed the side where Tommy's was. The photo store is still standing.

Tommy's owner Bill Kistner had a good product. I'm very sorry for their loss. I hope he'll be able to reopen someplace soon. I wonder how to contact him to offer encouragement...

The black horse pike place is just up the road from me in Haddonfield but I've never stopped. I'll try it now.

Holly, what puts DiNic's (rtm) on top for you? I actually had a rp +greens +sp there 3 days ago. It is indeed very good. If I put Tony Luke's (oregon), Tommy's and DiNic's in a blind contest I don't know how to say which is best. Several times at Tony Luke Jr (rittenhouse sq) I've had a pretty dry pork but sometimes it's good.

Here's a few random thoughts.

So I'd look at the bread. Tommy's used Erlton bread (a SNJ bakery). Anyone know where the Phillys places get theirs?

The meat needs to be juicy and have a slightly herby flavor - not overpowering.

If you get the greens you should taste the garlic. Not in your face but there.

Sharp provolone tastes very different from the, um, non-sharp?

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

Thanks for the link to the courier post story. It did burn down. Right now they have razed the side where Tommy's was. The photo store is still standing.

Not that it matters much, but it's the photo store which has been razed. Tommy's was between it and the cleaners. Even though I'm 5 minutes from there, I only ate there once before I stopped routinely eating bread two years ago. It was decent. I've been meaning to try DiNic's in, yes, Mt. Ephraim.

Speaking of roast pork, I made some this past Monday. Brined a pork loin from Whole Foods, seared it in cast iron, then roasted it at high heat until it hit an internal temp of 145. It came out very tasty and juicy. Deglazed the pan with a zinfadel to make a sauce. Had that for lunch the next day, sliced thin with the sauce on top. I had the rest for dinner in the alfredo sauce I had made for my wife's pasta. Great combo there.

So I'd look at the bread. Tommy's used Erlton bread (a SNJ bakery). Anyone know where the Phillys places get theirs?

I was told by a woman at DiNic's (Black Horse Pike) that they use Cacia's bread.

BTW, DiNic's "loaded" roast pork comes with sharp provolone and roasted peppers, not broccoli rabe like Tony Luke's.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

• 11 months later...

Digging up an old thread...

The building which once hosed Tommy's (Brace Rd, Cherry Hill) has been rebuilt and reopened. Unfortunately, Tommy's is gone and Quizno's is in. :sad:

John

Ughh!! This is the end of the individually owned restaurant in NJ as we know it. I feel like the guy in the middle of Times Square with the billboard over his chest saying " Repent, the end of the world is near". :angry:

It's a crazy world and a world that relishes convienence. Hopefully when I move to New York in a couple of years someone here will give me a job. :raz: