• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bacteria and Grocery Store Carts!

beans

Big bloody wow! They found germs where people have been.Shock Horror!

Bacteria, Germs are everywhere.If they found them in a fridge, or on your cutlery, or on work surfaces where food is prepared, then you should worry.Or if you see people using a shopping trolley to stir their soup

Gee, I guess I'll have to stop licking the cart handles.

Seriously, this is a big, "So what" to me. Of course they're nasty. Almost everything that is touched by people is nasty. Think of bathroom doorknobs -- you really think everyone washed their hands before leaving? Also, doesn't everyone who washes their hands also touch the sink valves?

Thus, I'm not going to lose any sleep over this.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

No, it isn't any surprise, but it is different to think of your shopping cart being host to the same stuff that you could basically squeegy off of a public toilet seat. Guess it is obvious I only have cats and not children. :wacko:

I do not use the convient infant seat on any shopping cart. I do not know when the last infant with a poopy diaper sat there.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I am not usually picky about dirty things... thinking a little dirt never hurt anybody and I am not dead yet. BUT... this is one of my pet peeves.

Don't they ever clean those things? And how about removing the garbage, circulars, notes, used kleenex. :angry:

Now that I think of it, the hand baskets are pretty gross, too. When I am just picking up a few things and grab a hand basket, I often have to go through several before I find one that at least LOOKS somewhat clean. There is no excuse.

Then there are the grubby conveyor belts at the check out. Is that chicken juice?

GAG!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The ones that get me are the carts that look like little trucks. Of course, the concept is very fun and every toddler beggs to ride in one. And of course they are filthy. I feel like the mean mom but my kids definitely don't get to "drive" their way through the store.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

No, it isn't any surprise, but it is different to think of your shopping cart being host to the same stuff that you could basically squeegy off of a public toilet seat.  Guess it is obvious I only have cats and not children.  :wacko:

It seems, according to this story, that toilet seats have been getting um, a bum rap and and desk tops have on average 400 times more germs:

http://www.abc.net.au/wa/stories/s557278.htm

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

I had to get over the shopping cart thing when the very first time I sat infant Emma in a cart, she leaned over and planted her mouth on the handle. Bleah.

How about people putting food in the "seat" compartment where your little darling's leaking diapered bum has sat or handling that exact cart handle of which you just spoke--the one your baby's spit's been on. BLEH is right. Betcha never thought of that! :shock: On a funny note....I was once pushing my cart around the store and I turned and stopped to get some eggs and ended up in a "traffic jam" with a young mom and her young-un. The young-un began TEETHING on a stalk of fresh brussells sprouts I had hanging off the...."diapered butt compartment." :biggrin:

How about people putting food in the "seat" compartment where your little darling's leaking diapered bum has sat or handling that exact cart handle of which you just spoke--the one your baby's spit's been on. BLEH is right. Betcha never thought of that! :shock:

You would be wrong. If my kid's diaper ever leaked (it has never happened in public) I would of course clean it up. That's also why the seat compartment has a flap that folds down to put your kid on. Flip it up if you use that area for groceries. Same if she mouths something, I wipe it off.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Or you can do what one of my customers does....

Wear white gloves.

Double bag everything you buy, in plastic bags.

Insist on handing all your groceries directly to the checker, thus avoiding using the contaminated belt.

Wear aluminum foil under your hat to protect against harmful microwave rays zipping through the air.

Or you can do what one of my customers does....

Wear aluminum foil under your hat to protect against harmful microwave rays zipping through the air.

I've been wearing the aluminum foil skullcap to protect myself from alien space invaders trying to read my mind but I'm glad to hear that it also gives me the additional anti-microwave protection.

Edited by hillbill (log)
Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.

One of the filthiest places on the planet is the human mouth. If you want to keep your foods as germ free as possible, do everything you can to avoid letting them get anywhere near a human mouth. :shock:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Maybe some of the experts could shed some light here, but I'd always thought the over-fastidious avoidance of dirt, bacteria and germs was more potentially dangerous than exposure to them.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"