• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coffee Brands???

Rosie

Quote: from Bux on 12:32 pm on Oct. 14, 2001

I also recall a gentleman asking for coffee at the beginning of a meal in a top NY French restaurant. For me it was as striking as if he had come in wearing a beanie with a propeller. Obviously, for him, it was natural.

Reminds me of the time my parents were in town and we all went to the Second Avenue Deli for lunch. When it came time for my dad to order, he blurted, "I'll just have a sandwich and a glass of milk," (which was what he always had at home) before he realized his mistake. He looked like he wanted to crawl under the table - and so did I.

• 1 month later...

I was happy to see Peet's mentioned. When I work in the bay area it's all I drink. There are a few Peet's in Boston also.

I live in Haddonfield which is close to Philadelphia. There is a BigBucks in town but there also is an independent shop (called 3 beans coffee co. 140 N. Haddon Avenue, Haddonfield (856) 354-2220 ) that serves La Colombe from Philadelphia. You can also buy the beans there. The also have live music.

I've been to La Colombe on Rittenhouse square also. The same top quality coffee but marred by far too much cigarette smoke.

They have a pretty uninformative web page at http://www.lacolombecoffee.com.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

Quote: That is why Australians miss the strange taste of the dark black beef extract called Vegemite.

Vegemite is a product of yeast extract, not beef.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

It is indeed, and very unpleasant too.  But they serve it at Eight Mile Creek in SoHo if any Manhattanites want to try it.

Coffee?  I find unground beans often disappoint, and I suspect some stores just keep them too long.  Ready ground, might I suggest a Puerto Rican brand such as Bustelo.  Powerful, rich, and not overpriced.

I'm nowhere near a coffeenista. I drink gallons of tea daily, some fine Chinese green teas ocassionally. But I'll go for periods where I must have a cup of coffee with cream and a pinch of sugar around 11 a.m. After working my way up to Illy (by being willing to pay that much for the pleasure) I took a step to the side. Same price range as Illy, but Malongo Cafe's Moka D'Ethiopie is absolutely delicious. Just mentioning it as I didn't see it come up in this discussion.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM