• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner in Atlanta for 100ppl.

noyoucomehere

I live in San Francisco, but am getting married in Atlanta and having a hard time finding information on good restaurants there. Neither of our families will dance nor will they enjoy the loud moanings of a DJ. So for the reception, we're forgoing the traditional dancing and such for a place with a warm atmosphere to host a nice dinner for 100 people. He is from Bangladesh. I'm from Texas. My family would have a great time experiencing Bengali cuisine and I'd love to find a place that can incorporate some of his mother's recipes into the dinner. Perhaps a Mediterranean restaurant? It's obviously a stretch and I fully expect not to find something like that, but maybe you know of a chef that would like to learn something about Bengali cooking?

Our main objective is to find good food and a cozy and warm atmosphere where people can talk and have a good time. Not stuffy, but not quite BBQ.

There's actually quite a large Indian community here in Atlanta, and at least one large entertainment/catering hall (probably more) located in Decatur. I can't remember the name of it at the moment, but could look into it if you'd be interested. You could also use a conventional hall (of which there are many) and have both an Indian caterer and a more conventional one. I would be extremely reluctant to suggest that a non-Indian cook/caterer undertake his mother's recipes.

Do you know what part of town you'd like for the wedding? Atlanta's huge, and prices will vary a lot depending on location. That many of people will call for a catering hall, not a restaurant.

And why the heck are you getting married in Atlanta? Family here?

Can you pee in the ocean?

yeah there's definitely a large Indian scene here. you could probably be able to get one of the restaurants to sponsor - if you'd like i can do some research for you, if you want to go in that direction. (me = indian and in aTLANTA)

You could always find a nice location and bring in the caterer, tables, chairs, etc. That's what I did when I planned my wedding here from out of town 8 years ago. I picked the Academy of Medicine for the venue and then gave a caterer my recipes. Rhodes Hall is beautiful too. If you need more info- I can help. Jenna Schuh

I'd prefer to find a restaurant that will seat 100 people than rent a hall and use a caterer. We'd rather not spend a bunch of money decorating a place than taking that money and putting it into better food. So, that's why we are trying to find a restaurant. We're having a weekend event with the wedding on the last day, so the dinner is going to be a last chance to hang out with our family and friends and it won't be a big decorated traditional reception. We will have already had a BBQ with everyone the day before with some Bengali food, so it's not super important that we incorporate Bengali food at the dinner after the wedding.

Thanks for the info.

Catering halls don't necessarily need much in the way of decor---all sorts of venues will host dinners, and they typically don't need much in the way of gussying up. You're planning on pretty much just calling up and saying you'd like a reservation for 100? Most restaurants in town are going to start suggesting you book a private room when your party hits about 20. That said, there are "restaurants" in town that do accomodate big groups. The first one that comes to mind is 103 West. It used to be a restaurant (and is still owned by the same company, Buckhead Life), and so the cooking is all on site. You can google on Buckhead Life to see what they offer.

Another option is a country club. Country clubs do this kind of thing all the time (it's one of the ways they make money) and you needn't be a member to use many of them. Some of the ones in town have decent food, including Piedmont Driving Club, Ansley, and Druid Hills. I don't know which of these has a "member" policy.

The Bengali Association of Greater Atlanta is having its New Years Eve party at The Palace Indian Restaurant in Norcross, GA (slightly north of the City of Atlanta). I assume therefore that The Palace Indian Restaurant can host 100 people and has some familiarity with Bengali food.

More information is at http://www.baga.net/main_baga.htm#NewYear

There's actually quite a large Indian community here in Atlanta, and at least one large entertainment/catering hall (probably more) located in Decatur.

Is it Indian Delights? I've heard good things about that restaurant.

Be polite with dragons, for thou art crunchy and goeth down well with ketchup....

No, it's not Indian Delights. Indian Delights was pretty much the first south Indian veg place here in town, first just a bare-bones store front for takeaway with a few tables. Now it's expanded into a couple of store fronts, but still very bare bones and we usually do takeaway. Food very good, though I find the food at Madras Saravana Bhavan better. Udipi is also good for this style of food.

Lots of Indian restaurants here have attached halls for parties. Zyka (my favorite food-wise, in a building that used to house a church) has one and so does Bombay Grill (also very good for food, plus it has a liquor license; it's in a remodeled Steak & Ale).

Thanks for all the info. I swore a restaurant was the way to go, but geeze is it expensive! So, now looking into having a catered reception. Other than the places that have been listed, can you suggest any other Indian joints? Perhaps we'll go with just finger foods and sweets.

On a side note, there's a great place in Berkeley called Vik's. They initially started as a snacks and sweets place, but have grown and recently even added granite tables. Pretty cool to see and their food is soooo good - very popular among the students. Good food at a good price. What more could you want?