• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New spots in DC

JennyUptown

Are you talking about Saki on 18th? Checked it out last night but ended up eating at Cafe Sofia (bad meal, don't bother). My friend and I were turned off by the chef who was standing in the entrance hall smoking a cigarette. (I am assuming he is the chef since he was wearing a chef's uniform and called it "my restaurant".) We watched him walk toward the sushi bar with the cigarette in his mouth and decided that his food wasn't worth damaging our lungs.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Ewww.

That combo of indifferent chef, booze and raw fish makes me ill.

Dragonfly mini mes all over the city...

Actually, tho, some foodie friends were saying how Sake Club (a different place in Woodley) is really authentic and that it's supposed to be quite good. I'll have to check in with them or go myself since it's in the hood.

Menu looks looks really yummy.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Anyone been there yet?

Flying Scotsman

A co-worker of mine has. Says he really liked the food (Fish and Chips) but the beer selection kinda sucks. Which is a shame because quality ales are important for such a place. Newcastle ain't gonna cut it, bottle or tap. "How about a cask conditioned Caledonian," he said wishfully.

Geeze. This city is money, money, money...

I walked by the super-sized Benetton (thank goodness it's still around :wink: ), and right around the corner, fully fashioned for business, Sette Osteria. That's the Cafe Milano people. Nice space.

How long has that been open?

Another guy hammering

Edited by morela (log)

Thanks for keeping us posted, SanFran!

Look what I just read on Linda Roth's site:

"Two alums of The Inn at Little Washington are planning to open a high end bar and restaurant featuring French/Indian cuisine. IndeBleu is slated to open on G Street in the ever-growing Penn Quarter across from the MCI Center in late summer.  Famed DC architectual firm, Adamstein & Demetriou, designed the space. "

Here's a plug for the PR mavins so I don't get in trouble:

http://www.lindarothpr.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=latest_dish

I saw the pretty spot near the MCI that they're talking about...

More and more guys with hammers and investors with deep pockets.

Much yums, M

On the other hand, wasn't that large corner space in Dupont (across from Ruth's Chris) supposed to be a restaurant? I walked by recently and saw a For Rent sign.

Are you talking about the Royal Palace? They might serve food, but I wouldn't eat there. :wink:

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

On the other hand, wasn't that large corner space in Dupont (across from Ruth's Chris) supposed to be a restaurant?  I walked by recently and saw a For Rent sign.

Are you talking about the Royal Palace? They might serve food, but I wouldn't eat there. :wink:

Ew, no! Different spot. Looks more like a retail space, but they're advertising for either retail or restaurant.

Royal Palace lives on.

On the other hand, wasn't that large corner space in Dupont (across from Ruth's Chris) supposed to be a restaurant?  I walked by recently and saw a For Rent sign.

Ew, no! Different spot. Looks more like a retail space, but they're advertising for either retail or restaurant.

Royal Palace lives on.

What is Royal Palace?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

royal palace is next door to the, er, gentlemen's club on conn. and florida (?)--across the street, to the south, of rite-aid.

jennyuptown is talking about the place a block south of there--across the street from Ruth's Chris--was supposed to be a schmancy beautiful-people brazilian place, I think--but never quite opened its doors.

This is the space that was a newsagent's for years and years, right? Last time I was up that way there was definitely a sign saying it was going to be a restaurant, I just don't remember what it was going to be. Whatever it was, sounds like it hasn't materialized.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

royal palace is next door to the, er, gentlemen's club on conn. and florida (?)--across the street, to the south, of rite-aid.

jennyuptown is talking about the place a block south of there--across the street from Ruth's Chris--was supposed to be a schmancy beautiful-people brazilian place, I think--but never quite opened its doors.

Actually Royal Palace IS a strip club across the street from the Hinkley Hilton on Connecticut.

Not sure how I know that, really.

Jennifer

Actually Royal Palace IS a strip club across the street from the Hinkley Hilton on Connecticut.

Like I said. I would NOT eat there.

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Like I said. I would NOT eat there.

It seems to me that there was a thread about six months ago on just this subject - eating in strip clubs. More common than you'd think.

Bill Russell