• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Blog: Cusina

Cusina

Wow.

Thanks squeat for tagging me and writing your own wonderful blog that will be VERY hard to follow.

My very own food blog. Here we are. I'm a little awed at the prospect of entertaining you all for a week, but here goes!

I'm here in the wilds of Wisconsin suburbia, that dilliante housewife that strikes fear in the hearts of all serious chefs and urban dwellers everywhere. Bwahahahaha.

I feed my husband (I know, I know, how June Cleaver) and two great kids, a girl who is 6 and a boy who will be 4 next week. You'll get to follow along through the treasure hunt birthday party we have planned for him on Saturday at lunchtime.

I love to cook (and eat!), have since I was a kid when I learned from my parents and especially from my paternal grandmother. There will be more gush about her later. Perhaps I'll walk you through her recipe box which I was lucky enough to inherit. She was decidedly a cook of the 50s and 60s and her recipes reflect that era very well.

Today at breakfast we all chowed down on toast and cereal, not an auspicious start. It will get better, promise. The plan is to make pumpkin muffins with my kids as a project this afternoon. They're quite tasty with a cream cheese frosting. Dinner is going to be ribeye steaks (yes, I'm definitely a carnivore) with a red wine sauce beside it, golden potatoes (mashed I think as that is my daughter's favorite) and a spinach salad. For the kids, I generally cook whatever we adults will eat, just in a less complicated way. So they will probably have the steak without sauce, potatoes and edamame instead of spinach salad.

Thanks again for the tag... keep reading please! I'll love to hear your responses.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

For the kids, I generally cook whatever we adults will eat, just in a less complicated way. So they will probably have the steak without sauce, potatoes and edamame instead of spinach salad.

Edamame? That's great.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Here's a "Woo Hoo!" for a fellow flatlander. :biggrin:

The recipe box sounds more like a treasure chest...can't wait to read about it. :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Cusina... Can't wait. I am also a mother-grandmother-great aunt-self trained cook. What is so cool about these blogs is that we get a glimpse into someone's cooking "lifestyle". Just be yourself. I am already looking forward to that recipe box. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Thanks guys for the encouragement!

So, lunch, munch munch.

Just finished eating a peasant lunch, meaning we ate whatever we could find. I made pumpkin soup with the other 1/2 of the pumpkin puree that we will use for the muffins this afternoon. Chicken stock base, curry, brown sugar, milk, tarragon and allspice ground in my newest kitchen toy a 4" mortar and pestle. I'm lucky enough to have a Penzeys' spices here in town so I do have good spice availability. Penzeys is a Wisconsin institution. Their founding store The Spice House, in Milwaukee on Old World 3rd Street, is a fun field trip.

We also had a fruit and cheese plate with some ham. The fruits were beautiful huge, sweet black grapes and granny smith apples. The cheeses were a locally produced caraway white cheddar (steve's cheese, good stuff) and fresh curds. Gotta love the squeak! The ham was, um, oscar meyer... very gourmet stuff. Gave the kids PB with their apples. My daughters big epiphany of the meal was (imagine 6 year old girl with huge blue eyes here) "Mom, wow, grapes taste REALLY REALLY good with peanut butter!" Guess she never realized that all that jelly was made with grapes, huh?

The granny apples were supposed to be made into applesauce. I thought they would be way too tart for the kids to want to eat in hand. Suprise, they loved them and they got eaten before I could get the sauce made. Have to try to sneak in another bag for the applesauce later on in the week. Just when I think I've got my kids' taste buds figured out they suprise me!

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

What is so cool about these blogs is that we get a glimpse into someone's cooking "lifestyle". Just be yourself. I am already looking forward to that recipe box. :biggrin:

Fifi is right, as always. You're off to a great start!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Wow... geez... You are feeding your kids REAL food and they like it... Who knew? :wink::biggrin:

That is really encouraging. Yeah... kids can be surprising. 30 years ago when mine were little, they were a constant surprise. They got "guilty" pleasures by "stealing" carrots and snow peas out of the garden. It was fun watching them skulk around playing Peter Rabbit. They are good eaters to this day.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I certainly commend you for not mentioning any commercial product that comes out of a can or box! -Dick

Ah... alas...

My pumpkin was canned and so was my stock, I realize in hindsight I should have mentioned that. I keep promising to myself that I'm going to make my own stock, but it hasn't happened. Someday eGullet is sure to inspire me enough to really do it! As for pumpkin, it's just hard work. I guess that is one thing, along with tomatoes (in the winter) that I always buy canned.

We do have a few canned and boxed products on our pantry shelves. Not many, but some. Snacks for the kids, especially, seem sneak their way in there. I try very hard to buy natural food products when I do buy premade stuff and try, like fifi said, to feed them "real" food. Don't like the processed idea at all. Frankly, most of it just doesn't taste good. My mom was natural food oriented long before it was hip. She has a masters in Dairy science and was very keen on feeding her family healthfully. I lean in that direction, however my mother's cooking was not very flavorful. (I love her dearly, she has many other great qualities, just not in the taste department.) So, for my own family I try to create a balance between healthful and having good flavor.

-Dad

Excellent blog Cusina...

Can't wait to read more :biggrin:

i too am curious about what's on for Cusina's sunday dinner. no pressure, though! :biggrin:

here in montreal it's Grey Cup (football) sunday, so everyone's eating snackfood. :blink:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

Now for something completely different....

It is Sunday afternoon and I would be doing a disservice to my entire community, hell my entire state, if I didn't give a little lecture about the PACKERS!

Packer food is it's own cuisine (see, I can spell it correctly). There is the usual chips and dip, the soda and beer and nachos that I'm sure every other NFL fan partakes in on Sunday. But there is nothing in this world like an honest to goodness Lambeau field inspired Bratwurst. There is a whole great thread about bratwurst on this site. I get them from the butcher down the street, who I'll take you to visit later on in the week. My method is to boil them in cheap beer with sliced yellow onions (the yellow ones are a little mellower than the white, go well with the beer) until cooked through. Then toss them on a damn hot grill for about 2 minutes a side till nice and seared. Put in a bakery fresh brat roll, which is larger and chewier than a traditional hot dog roll, with some of those boiled onions, a little sweet or sour kraut and grainy mustard. Eat in big wolfish bites washed down with a nice cold beer, preferably in a parking lot while wearing camuoflage. (slkinsey, I dare you to post that packer backer picture you sent me... you know the one!)

Food of the gods I tell you der hey. Nuttin like it soouth a Milwaukee fer suure ja. (For those of you who have never heard an honest to god Cheesehead accent, it's a trip.)

O.k., now back to the regularly scheduled nice mom who is going to make pumpkin muffins blog.

Edited by Cusina (log)

-Dad

It is Sunday afternoon and...

...Packer food is its own cuisine (see, I can spell it correctly). There is the usual chips and dip, the soda and beer and nachos that I'm sure every other NFL fan partakes in on Sunday.

mmm, football food... :rolleyes::biggrin:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

Thanks for taking on the blog!

I have a son with a birthday next week too! He will be 3 on Nov. 23, he and his sisters are begging for a Blues Clues cake, I am still trying to figure out how I am going to do that one!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

The much heralded pumpkin muffins with cream cheese frosting just were not in my cards. Somehow the last can of pumpkin is gone! I guess I used too much in my soup today. Horrors!

So, onward, I switched the baking to cranberry vanilla scones. They are a favorite at our place and they came out beautifully, if I say so myself. I went on a scone jag a few years back, searched all over for the best recipe. These were serious standouts, delicious and I even had a UK ex-pat tell me they're "the best I've had since leaving home" which probably doesn't say much for American scones. I'm a little abashed to say that the recipe came off the Dannon Yogurt website. I usually make them with dried door county cherries and almonds, but had to settle for dried cranberries as the cherries vanished while I wasn't looking. (or, um, maybe I ate them...) While the scones were cooling my daughter asked if she could have one of those "rock things". I guess all along she has been thinking they were stones rather than scones. hehehe.

Dinner itself was pretty good, though I'm always my worst critic. The ribeye was just fine, like a good ribeye should be, well done and crispy (just kidding, they were medium-rare!). The wine sauce, a very simple reduction of broth, cabernet and garlic, seemed too thin so I used flour to thicken it a bit at the end. Not sure what I did wrong. The end result was too floury and the garlic was too raw. I think I didn't saute it enough in fear of burning it. Still tasty though. Golden potatoes were yummy and the spinach salad was good as well. My husband is the chopper and tosser and I make the dressing. Our house is a vinagrette made with rice wine vinegar, balsamic, canola (I find olive oil too heavy), sugar, basil, oregano and garlic. Had this all with a 1999 reserve kendall jackson cabernet which went well. We almost always drink wine with meals and I know just enough about the subject to know that I don't know much. eGCI here I come. I'll just throw myself at Craig Camp's feet and see what happens. :smile:

I'm a weekly dinner menu planner type. Helps me to know what is coming up, so here are my thoughts. Don't hold me to any of this though.

Monday: Shrimp quesadillas and guacamole.

Tuesday: Chicken breasts and Pasta shells stuffed with spinach, feta and ricotta, bread (maybe even homemade... I've got this great book from the library about artisan breads that is tempting me to try something. Though her quote "you never learn anything from your successes" is a bit daunting.)

Wednesday: Here is where it gets iffy, my husband is out of town and I never know what to make for just the 3 of us kids. Any suggestions??

Thursday: ditto... hmm... maybe I'll make some fish fillets. They have had good looking fresh perch at the grocery and I've been working on a beer batter. Talk about real Wisconsin food, that is the epitome. Except I'll serve mine with a zucchini stir fry and homemade applesauce instead of fries and beer.

Friday: My parents will be in town and we are taking my son out for his 4th birthday dinner. His choice. We are likely to head to Red Robin, a "gourmet" burger chain that caters to kids. Oh well. Better than McDonalds at least or Chuck E Cheese.

Saturday: This is the big 4 year old birthday bonanza day. Lunch during the treasure hunt party will be pizza from a great place down the street called Stuc's. Best pizza this side of Chicago, in my mind. The cake is going to be something Thomas the Tank Engine, as per demand. (Good luck with your blues clues cake torakris!) Dinner will be early and similar to the peasant lunch we had today. The kids think it is a huge treat to eat on the big Japanese style coffee table in our living room so we will probably do that. Good bread, cheese, cold meats and fruit, maybe some soup. This is all in anticipation to the BIG deal. We, yes I know you all will be jealous, are headed as a family to see Sesame Street Live at 5:30. Egad. I think we will need a sitter later that night so that my husband and I can go get some real food and a well deserved drink. See the incredible second hand celebrity watching you lucky eGulleteers get in these blogs? Squeat takes us to see Rudi Guliani and I take you to experience Elmo. What a deal.

Well, that's it for today I think. Tomorrow I'll try to delve into Grandma's recipe box. Always a fun thing to do on a rainy November day.

*exit music - sentimental journey*

-Dad

I'm feeling shamefully disorganized right now :blink:

BTW, I was astounded by how horrible Red Robin wasn't. I've only been there once and just walking in the joint forces you to expect the worst but it wasn't the worst. It certainly wasn't the best either, but the burger was better than edible and it arrived at our table with merciful quickness. :biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Wednesday: Here is where it gets iffy, my husband is out of town and I never know what to make for just the 3 of us kids. Any suggestions??

I'm feeling woefully disorganized too, after reading this. (Note to self: "You are woefully disorganized, Stupid!)

I'd suggest Jeanette Pepin's Cheese delectable souffle, recipe found in her son's "The Apprentice." (Or I'll PM it if it sounds like a good idea.) No-fail, fast, easy and cheap. You could serve it with bread and butter, maybe a small salad, baked apples for dessert.

Then again, there's always grilled cheese!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I'm feeling shamefully disorganized right now :blink:

I'm feeling woefully disorganized too, after reading this. (Note to self: "You are woefully disorganized, Stupid!)

Haha - me too - it's a good day if I can plan what to cook for dinner by lunch time on the same day and sometimes it gets changed midway through cooking :biggrin: !

Oh my gosh, Cusina! Thank goodness foodbloggers will finally be getting some actual cooking!

I'm already jealous of your organizational skills, as anyone who watched me stumble blindly through my week will understand!

Your children are so fortunate to have a mom who is not only intelligent and thoughtful about what she prepares at home, but about what she indulges them in on nights out.

Cranberry Vanilla Scones?!?!?!? I'm off to the Dannon Yogurt website.

Despite my blundering the handoff, thanks for a really smash-up follow-through! Can't wait for more!

Squeat

It is Sunday afternoon and I would be doing a disservice to my entire community, hell my entire state, if I didn't give a little lecture about the PACKERS!

Packer food is it's own cuisine (see, I can spell it correctly).  There is the usual chips and dip, the soda and beer and nachos that I'm sure every other NFL fan partakes in on Sunday.  But there is nothing in this world like an honest to goodness Lambeau field inspired Bratwurst.  ...  Eat in big wolfish bites washed down with a nice cold beer, preferably in a parking lot while wearing camuoflage. (slkinsey, I dare you to post that packer backer picture you sent me... you know the one!)

For those who don't know, Cusina and I went to college together in Wisconsin. We didn't see much of eath other at the time, but she did work with two of my ex-girlfriends -- which makes it a minor miracle that she will actually speak to me. Anyway, grilling sausages -- especially before a football game -- is a big Wisconsin tradition, and one of its best. Here I am at college grilling:

fa8a69b8.jpg

I'm the drunken one with no shirt, a broken nose and bad 80's hair. You can tell I'm not going to a Packers game in that picture... not because I'm wearing no shirt but because I don't have a giant "G" painted on my chest.

Here I am last year getting ready to head to a Packer's game at Lambeau Field in December. Note the "Sgt. Schultz" double chin, which is de rigeur at Lambeau Field:

fb8300b4.jpg

Wisconsin is a great state. I try to get back as often as I can.

--

:unsure:

That certainly is rather... orange. Are you cheese (cheez?) in camoluflage? :biggrin:

Thanks for sharing the pics!

and to the topic at hand: Pumpkin soup is good, too! I'm a sucker for anything pumpkinesque. Your recipe sounds really nice.

I'd suggest Jeanette Pepin's Cheese delectable souffle, recipe found in her son's "The Apprentice."  (Or I'll PM it if it sounds like a good idea.) No-fail, fast, easy and cheap.  You could serve it with bread and butter, maybe a small salad, baked apples for dessert.

I'll second this. Delightful book. Excellent recipe!

Squeat