• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Macaroni and Cheese as Lifestyle Choice

SobaAddict70

oh, yeah, cheese and mac my favorite comfort food. along with meatloaf

though NOT during the month of october(i managed to break a tooth from my denture while eating some crusty mac and cheese last month - 85.00 later i can smile again).

favorite proportions are 1/2 box dry elbows, cooked to 3/4 pound cheese - 1/2 lb. in small cubes the rest grated to go on top mixed with some mustard, bread crumbs and parsley

i also keep a box or two of annie's organic at work just in case i forget to bring lunch/dinner; don't want to eat what i brought for lunch /dinner or someone else at work did either of the above.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I like to make my own, but thre are times when only the boxed stuff will do. I switched to the President's Choice White Cheddar as well, and I like it better. My son however, loves the new KD, the microwave stuff, which is just as well as it's pretty much a single serving, since no one else in the house will touch the scary orange stuff!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

What's the best part of cheese and macaroni, in your opinion?

The crusty top layer? The cheesy, oozy, center? The crusty, crispy bottom layer?

Me, I'm definitely a top layer person.

Is Velveeta an option that people use? (To this day, I've not had a sample, so I wouldn't know what it tastes like.) I've seen versions of cheese and macaroni that had tomatoes and things like ham, mushrooms and peppers in there. To me, that's not cheese and macaroni. The panko thing is a new one on me (might try that next time).

Soba

Seconding the crusty top layer. I really like to use a very sharp old cheddar both white and orange. Parmesan and gruyere as well. I aslo mix butter, bread crumbs and parmesan sometimes to sprinkle on the top.

My son likes ketchup on his :wacko:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Mmmmmm. I like Kraft blue box (I use sour cream instead of milk) and the deluxe kind is good with a can of tuna thrown in. I LOVE homemade mac & cheese, but never make it just for myself. The last time I made it, I ended up bringing it all into work for my coworkers to eat, since it would've taken me a week to eat it all.

When my dad and step-mom were first married, she wanted to make my brother an I a special meal, so she asked what we'd like to have. We both screeched "mac & cheese!" So she slaved away making a from scratch version. When she brought it to the table, we both looked at it and refused to eat it. We said that we only liked the kind in the blue box. My poor step-mom. Of course, now we absolutely LOVE her from scratch version. :wub:

Sherri A. Jackson

To those that say home made just has to be "better", I disagree. Home made is just not the same thing. That is like comparing brocolli and grapefruit. :biggrin:

Great story, Comfort Me. What a wonderful woman. What a wonderful tribute.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I eat the Kraft Deluxe box version. It's quite salty, which affords me the opportunity to put all sorts of leftovers in it: chopped bell peppers, green onion, whatever else i may have. Oh and Boca's vegetarian Italian sausage. Mixed with creamy cheese and veggies, I love eating those tender nuggets of caraway (I think) flavored "sausage" without all the grease. I mean, mac & cheese already has enough fat.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

I just tried making the non-bechamel version - using evaporated milk and cheese. It came out wonderful, but how can this be reheated? I just warmed some in the microwave at work and it is all clumpy and separated with a pool of grease on the bottom. Any suggestions?

I just tried making the non-bechamel version - using evaporated milk and cheese. It came out wonderful, but how can this be reheated? I just warmed some in the microwave at work and it is all clumpy and separated with a pool of grease on the bottom. Any suggestions?

Subject near and dear to my heart. I make this version of mac and cheese all the time, and the reheating has to be on low, low heat. Yours curdled in the microwave, having reached too high a temperature, starting at the edges. Unlike the béchamel-based version, this version cannot take high heat.

I reheat this type of mac and cheese only in the microwave, on only 10 percent or 20 percent power for a long time. Every so often, stir to distribute the heat, using a soft or silicone utensil to avoid harming the pretty little noodles. Return to microwave and heat on low heat again. Stir. (For the most even heating, the best configuration on a round plate is to form a ring of mac and cheese around the perimeter. But I have reheated the entire casserole dishful successfully by stirring.) Repeat as needed. Patience will be rewarded, with mac and cheese as creamy as it ever was.

No eggs - just the evaporated milk, tons of cheese, dry mustard and cayenne.

It was one of the best I have ever had, and I probably will never make the bechamel version again.

Thanks for the tips, I was in too much of a rush to stir, but will try that with what's still at home. Thanks.