• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Donkey's Place

Holly Moore

Donkey's Place (and Bar) on Haddon Avenue in Camden has been around for years. I finally made it there.

i206.jpg

Their claim to fame is a round cheese steak built on a poppy seeded Kaiser roll. It is now one of my favorite cheese steaks. I didn't do the geometry (though I could if I could find my slide rule), but am estimating that a round kaiser roll has less square inches than a rectangular steak roll. Since Donkey's uses the same amount of steak as for a traditional steak sandwich, the steak is piled higher and Donkey's meat to bun ration favors the meat more than Pat's or Gino's. It's a great sandwich.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

the steak is piled higher and Donkey's meat to bun ratio....

Wow...looks great!

But I have to confess there is something about the words "Donkey" and "meat" in such close proximity that made me look twice! :raz:

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

wonder if it's better than BB's up in West Village?

haven't tried BB's, but that's the only other round one I've heard of.

Wait, as I recall, they don't bill it as a Philly cheesesteak.

I forget what they call it.

Donkey's is right around the corner from me. I'll give it a shot one of these days.

that's $5.50?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

that picture looks exactly like the BB's cheeseteak.

Looks like, but doesn't taste like. Donkey's is a real cheese steak. Just better meat to bun ratio.

My understanding of BB's is that they are doing their own thing and make it a point to stress that they are not attempting a real cheese steak or what netherlanders refer to as a Philadelphia cheese steak.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter