• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wild Mushrooms

Ol'Hippie

Sorry to be repetitive, and somewhat rambling, but we mushroom folk are somewhat "strange" by most others definitions, and besides, promoting mushroom hunting is what I live to do.

Hey, in your picture, is that a gilled mushroom?

Yes it is. That is Chlorophyllum rhacodes, which used to be Macrolepiota rhacodes. Common name is the shaggy parasol. It is a delicious edible, but one must take care to not confuse it with Chlorophyllum molybdites, the Green Spored Lepiota.

I do agree with the use of dried Boletus edulis the way you described. I also use a coffee grinder to make "mushroom powder" for additions to soups etc.

• 1 year later...

The Pacific Northwest woods is alive with mushrooms (and breathtaking).

I picked maybe 20 matsutaki buttons today, a bag of hedgehogs and got tired of picking chantrelles. The frost and freeze is coming but right now it is as good as it has been in fouryears.

Dave