• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My First Clay Pot

FoodMan

My father in law just returned from a business trip to Mexico and he brought me this nice looking clay pot.

fa8f5993.jpg

As you can see it is glazed from the inside only. What do I need to do before I can use it?

Does it need to be soaked or cured?

How do I cook with it?

I read somwhere that these things contain lead, is it safe to use?

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Yes, glazed Mexican clay pots are potentially leaded.

Maybe Paula Wolfert will jump in here, but in her recent book, "The Slow Mediterranen Kitchen", and in her recent Food & Wine article on clay pots, mentions a product that you can get at most hardware stores that will test for the lead. I can't find the name of it at the moment, but will try to find it if she does not find this thread.

Paula also says to soak clay pots in water to cover for 12 hours. You have to be careful not to set a hot pot on a cold surface and to start the pot in a cold oven which you then bring up to temperature.

Thanks for the input Richard!

I did read Paula's article when it came out, but I was not sure if there is something more specific I have to do to this pot other than soaking it.

I am surprised at the lack of any response, or is it the weekend? In the end I might have to just PM Wolfert and ask her.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I've got a couple of these (though from France) and followed the instructions about soaking before first use - all good - but I regularly now put mine cold into a hot oven, eg when making vegetable tians, and they are absolutely fine (though doubtless have just invited disaster by saying so).

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Sorry I didn't answer sooner. I 've been traveling for the book launch and didn't have access to a computer.

Mexican clay pots often have lead in the glaze, though I doubt new ones do. Anyway, to play safe, you should pick up a package of leadcheck at a hardware store and rub the insides of the pot to be sure it is lead-free. The pot looks really nice and probably only needs a short soaking and a lot of loving care.

Food man: the Lebanese visitior brought some fabulous glazedshallow pans from Beirut: one for making yogurt; another for frying eggs which reminded me of the painting of the women frying eggs in a clay dish by velasquez; and some wonderful unglazed ones for stewing meats and vegetables. As soon as I learn to do photo on the internet I'll paste them up.

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

Paula-

Thanks for the advice, I asked for a clay pot after reading your interesting article in F&W. I guess all I need to do is wash, soak and use.

Concerning the lead check package, is that available at any hardware store (ACE or True Value,..)? Is it common, I mean all I ask for is a lead checking package?

I am looking forward to using it and my the first thing I want to try is your lamb with prune stew. Keeping my fingers crossed that this thing is lead free.

I am glad you got all these pots from Lebanon (I have none, but hoping to change that soon) and I have not forgotten to ask my grandmother when I talk to her. However you seem all set already :smile: . Please do post pics when you get a chance and if you need any help I would be more than happy to assist. If they are not digital pictures you need to scan them first, if they are then it's really very simple.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Elie: as soon as I learn digital photography I will post the pics of these wonderful Lebanese pots.

Ace hardware sells "leadcheck." I've been told the Mexicans have a special lye they use to clear away the glaze but I don't know what it is. If anyone knows about this I'd love to read more on the subject.

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.