• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fig preserves

markabauman

I recently acquired some fig preserves from Italy. Besides the obvious-spread it on some toasted bread- does anyone have some suggestions for its use? The first thing I did with it was spread it on some crostini with some chevre and topped it with some toasted chopped walnuts-a drizzle of Italian acacia honey. Yum. Any other ideas?

Mark A. Bauman

Try it on cornbread. Actually, try in with cornbread and milk mixed together in a large bowl for breakfast. The Italian version would be as a garnish over a slightly sweetened polenta. Perfect on biscuits, scones, and pancakes.

Use a basic dense yellow cake recipe, pour half into a baking pan, add a layer of figs, and cover with the remaining cake mix. Bake according to directions. Won't even need frosting.

Also look for Cajun cookbooks. Fig preserves is a tradition there and used in a lot of desserts. I've picked more figs than I care to remember.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Fig preserves are a wonderful thing!

They are wonderful on a fruit and cheese tray. Especially with pungent and sharp flavors. I had them recently with a huge wedge (blob?) of ripe eppoisse, a few walnuts, and a piece of crusty bread and I was in heaven. It was so good, I passed on the pastry couse just so I could let the happy flavors roll around in the back of my mouth!

Also, I have used fig preserves in tarts during the winter. I roll out the dough for a rustic tart, spread it with a fair amount of fig preserves, sprinkle it with lemon zest and chopped almonds, then top it with dried figs which have been plumped in a little warm port or coffee and halved. Pull the crust up, brush with egg wash, dust with sugar in the raw, and bake. Serve with port or espresso garnished with lemon.

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

Serve it with Foie Gras

Oh yeah! Foie Gras! Excellent! On toasted Brioche Nanterre! Scandalous!

Absolutely! This combo works really well. Spring Restaurant here in Chicago had a Foie Gras Mousse w/fig compote on the menu. I believe the chef switches out the fig compote for something similar sometimes. But when the foie & fig goes on the bread, it's delicious. It almost reminds me of a peanut butter & jelly kind-of-thing.