• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rehoboth Beach

SWoodyWhite

• 2 weeks later...

My partner, the infamous der Brucer, and I had an enjoyable lunch with our own Malawry today. We met her at the hotel she's staying at over the holiday weekend, and wandered over and up Rehoboth Avenue, finally settling in at the Dogfish Head. For anyone who hasn't yet met Malawry, she is as pleasant and cheerful and genuine in person as she is in her writing! We had a great conversation, ranging over her new job, der Brucer's memories of the meals when he was a student at Annappolis, my own job hunting, and choral music.

As for the Dogfish Head, I found it enjoyable, if a little chilly. The logic for having a small entry room finally became clear to me here, as the Dogfish Head doesn't have one, and every time the front door was opened the nippy air from outside made an invasion. Malawry and der Brucer sensibly ordered mugs of hot cider and rum, tasty by their reports. I can't remember the name of the house brew I had, but it was a very smooth stout flavored with chicory and St. Johns Wort. The fish sandwiches and fries Malawry and I ordered disappeared in good order; my catfish wrap had a good spicy kick, a vast improvement over the Dos Locos debacle. If der Brucer only ate half of his pizza, it's because he doesn't eat much at lunchtime; he told me later that he liked it.

Service? Friendly and alert without being intrusive. Sound level? There may have been music in the background, but it never interfered with our conversation; nor did the conversations at other nearby tables. Price? Very reasonable, I thought.

All in all, the Dogfish Head scored well. The food is unpretentious but imaginative enough to make coming back worth my time. And it is definately someplace I'd take others for a cozy, fun food break.

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

Nice! Thanks.

That would be Chicory Stout. It is real fine.

One of my friends from DE sent me a Dogfish Head vodka t-shirt for Christmas. Anybody tried it?

My favorite food there was the calamari with an Asian dipping sauce. Yum!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

One of my friends from DE sent me a Dogfish Head vodka t-shirt for Christmas. Anybody tried it?

I haven't tried the vodka, but there's the tail end of a bottle of

Dogfish Head Wit Spiced Rum downstairs in my bar and if I hadn't had a few glasses of wine with dinner at a friend's this evening, I'd be drinking it right now! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The hot cider comes with the Wit spiced rum in it. It's got a terrific, sweet-bitter flavor to it, and has an almost bourbon-y undertone. Nice against the hot apple-y sweetness.

Dogfish was one of few places open in the downtown area, and their sandwich-heavy lunch menu meant they were pretty packed. As we approached, I told Woody and Bruce that our goal was to be seated as far from the door as possible. Unfortunately, the only table available to us was right by the door. They really need to do something about that cold-air blast whenever people walk in the door...I ordered the cider specifically to keep me warm as people passed in and out of the restaurant.

BTW Woody and Bruce are total gentlemen and a blast to talk shop with. I enjoyed our conversation and was quite charmed by the polite manner you guys carry. I hope you come to DC sometime so I can return your hospitality. :wub: And Woody, I especially hope to see you write more as you investigate what dining exists in and around Rehoboth. We could use a scout!

I just returned from a wonderful 10 day stay in Lewes. We found many place to dine but only dined out 3 times and once for a nice breakfast.

We started with an after movie dinner at Big Fish wich never fails to produce a very nice dinner. A couple of nights later my sone came in from Philly and the three of us went to Espuma for Roast Duck and Lamb Wellington. On New Years we went to Sydneys for some live blues and another great dinner.

We met up with a couple of friends from home one morning and traveled to Oas Orchard to have breakfast at the Whitecaps Cafe only to find it closed, but around the corner some folks had bought an local bar and eating establishment and reopened as a little better place. The breakfast was awesome. All of us are on different diets, veggie only, low carb, hi protien, and me (none). I had a fantastic sausage gravy over homemade buscuits, my wife, an omlet with no bread, home friews or any other carb ladened foods, on of our freinds requested scrambled eggs with whites only and the kitchen handled it with no problem.

Next to Big Fish there is the Big Fish Market where you can buy almost anything they serve and cook yourself. We visited there several times.

Although very quiet we had a great time and can't wait to get back.

I just returned from a short visit to Bethany. The only meal we ate out was at the Purple Parrot. Unfortunately our meal on New Year's night was not as good as SWoody's. We should have been suspicious when there was only one person to wait on tables and serve as hostess/bartender for the whole restaurant, which was full.

Since it was Thursday night the diner menu was available. Of the three main courses we ordered, only the fish and chips are worth mentioning. Actually, they were terrific. The batter was good and the fish were perfectly fried. The french fries has seasoning on them and were also nicely fried.

Our other two dishes, the grilled pork chops and open faced turkey sandwich, were a nightmare. The porkchops had good flavor, but were very dry. They were paper thin and grey. The open faced turkey sandwhich looked like it came from a cafeteria. The bread was toasted but so thin it disingrated under the gravy. The turkey was deli meat turkey, not inidivual pieces. They gravy isn't worth mentioning. Both dishes came with mashed potatos that might have been good if they weren't ice cold.

I hope our visit was a fluke because the atmosphere was fun and there seemed to be potential in a few dishes.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Is Espuma still open in Rehoboth?? My husband and I went there on our honeymoon and had the most wonderful dinner. I wanted to go back on our anniversary this past year but I couldn't find their number or their website . . . I would love to hear they're still there . . . !

Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

I've been able to find a website for Espuma: http://www.espumarestaurant.com/

It doesn't say whether they're open right now or not; January is when many places close down for a month or two. It's a great looking menu, though! I'll report back when I get more information.

And to anyone at all!

It doesn't say whether they're open right now or not; January is when many places close down for a month or two.  It's a great looking menu, though!  I'll report back when I get more information.

So good to hear they're still there! Definitely let me know if you find out more! As a matter of fact we were going to take a weekend in Baltimore soon but if Espuma's is still around we might have to go to Rehoboth instead . . . !

Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

I just spoke with the Espuma staff. (Reservation desk: 302 227 4199)

They are open through the winter, and glad to be one of the few restaurants in Downtown Rehoboth that doesn't close during the off-season. The doors open from Thursday thru Monday at 5:30, and don't close until "nine, nine-thirty" on weekdays, and as late as eleven on weekends. Nightly specials, of course.

They should be going back to regular season hours in a couple of months.

And to anyone at all!

Looks like I'll be making a trip to Rehoboth . . . ! My mouth is already watering! Thank you!!

I grew up in DC (Capitol Hill) then lived in Adams Morgan until I moved to Rehoboth 8 years ago, here are some quick ideas:

great restaurants: Eden, The Cultured Pearl, Go Fish, for mexican, skip the downtown rehoboth restaurants and go to La Tolteca on Rt. 1 in the midway shopping center next to the roadhouse.

restaurants i haveheard great things about but havenot tried yet: Dish, Tutto Bene, Striper Bites in Lewes, and Edens sister restaurant (Taste?).

Here is an article about dinners Eden is doing:

http://www.capegazette.com/storiescurrent/...rest010904.html

(I dont work for any of the restaurants, but I do know the peopel at Go Fish! (fish & chips) I lived in England for a year and was so excited when this opened. I havent been to the sit down restaurant yet.)

And the Thai place across from Go Fish on Rehoboth Ave (Seaside Thai) is decent.

Hope this helps.

I miss D.C., esp. Ethiopian, Vietnamese, and Indian food. and Eastern Market.

...for Mexican, skip the downtown rehoboth restaurants and go to La Tolteca on Rt. 1 in the midway shopping center next to the Roadhouse...

I stopped by La Tolteca for a late lunch about a week or so ago, after getting a haircut in the same shopping center. The food was much better than that at Dos Locos, and better than I was expecting. (For that matter, so was the haircut!) I'm looking forward to taking der Brucer there, to get his reaction. (Both La Tolteca and the barber shop. :biggrin: )

And to anyone at all!

Sorry, Hillvalley, haven't had a chance to check for anythong on Rt. 16 yet.

We did stop by Celsius tonight ( http://www.celsiusrestaurant.com/homepage.html ) for Kir and appetizers. Der Brucer enjoyed the Oysters Florentine, I had a very good time with the seared Ahi with a sesame-ginger vinagrette. Celsius is open for the winter starting at 5, only closed on Thursdays. All evening Mondays, and all week from 5 to 6:30, they have a deal on one entree at list price, the second entree free (along with purchase of either appetizers or dessert). Sundays and Tuesdays, for the rest of the evening, the second entree is half-price. Also, Wednesday's regularly scheduled special is four cold water lobster tails over Spanish rice, Fridays is Tapas night, and Sunday Brunch runs from 10 to 2 for 11.99.

Edited by SWoodyWhite (log)

And to anyone at all!

No worries :smile: My parents came home raving about some meat market. Nothing beats Perms and Worms.

Celsius looks amazing. Are they open all year round?

Great Celcius has winter specials. In the past they were closed in Jan - Mid Feb. We'll have to try them out.

Hillvalley - There's a new Amish market on Rt. 6 just west of Ellendale. My wife has stopped there and picked up some cold cuts and steaks. We haven't been there for an in depth investigation but if they're anything like the Amish market in Silver Spring it's worth the trip.

Celsius is open all through the winter. Fusion will reopen on Valentine's day. Der Brucer and I have eaten there before, very pleasurably. I think it's great that the two dining establishments are right next door to each other.

We ran into the owners of Cafe Zeus the other day. John Mank and Charles Davidson told us that they'll be reopening in early March. Cafe Zeus is located at 37 Wilmington; their current web address is at www.DiningDEBeaches.com , with their permanent address at www.CafeZeus.com still under construction. Looks interesting!

Der Brucer is quite pleased with the recommendations for Casapulla South (Rt. 1, Lighthouse Plaza). He's a Philly boy, and was hoping to find a good Philly-style sub shop. (Casapulla also has shops in Elsmere, Wilmington, and Glasgow.)

And we've been surprised to learn that Delaware has a winery! Nassau Valley Vinyards, just a little west of Rt. 1 on Rt. 9, at 32165 Winery Way, Lewes, has been in operation for about ten years now. They've got about ten acres of vines growing, with another 14 due to be planted soon. They've also got a sweet white that would go very well with fruit or angel food.

And to anyone at all!

Hello there folks interested in downtown rehoboths dining scene,

Im a restaurant owner, so I suppose Im somewhat of an insider as far as the scene is conserned. Obviouslly this time of the year there is no real scene to disern from, were here for you our loyal guests, and our employees, the offseason by no means is a money making season. Im not crying the blues, its a great time to catch up on life, and look forward to the changing seasons ahead.

Some of my personal favorites this time of the year include Espuma, Eden, Celsius, and Dish, obviouly as an owner I dont get to dine out often, so my personal preferences dont reflect who's hot and not in rehoboth.

The dining scene here, even in the off season is second to none, as far as im conserned. there might be a few bad apples who arent in it for the pure pleasure and adrenaline, but theyre few and far between, and even more scarse once the thermometer drops below 40.

some site to check out regarding rehoboth

diningDEbeaches.com

run by henry cox, they offer great up to date info, with website links, and more important discount and who's open when info this time of the year

rehomain.com maybe .org

rehoboth mainstreet organization- a downtown rehoboth business oprganization, who stays in touch and up to the minute as far as the happenings in Rhoboth Beach.

rehoboth.com

Info wealthy although more of a pay to play type website

gayrehoboth.com

more info leaning more towards gay browsers-but info wealthy

whats coming up in rehoboth

February-check out valentines day menus at restaurants that will be open what could be more romantic than an nice quiet season escape to the beach?

March-Choclate festival-forget about the diets, come indulge your choclate fantasies

April-1st annual food and wine extravaganza-im peronally pumped aboput this one, wine experts from around the country will converge in reohoboth for a wine lovers weekend, the growth potential for this event is tremendous, so get in on the ground level, and get your "i remember when" stories ready for posterity

May-Cabaret festival-we are the nations summer capitol, and a top gay destination, not to say that cabaret is gay, but I think this weekend is oh so cool.

re to mark sommelier: are you in hip d.c. restaurant scene, it must be very tiring to be oh so cool

Thank you to all of our guests in the rohoboth dining scene

Welcome bbonz. I look forward to hearing about your experiences.

Which restaurant do you own?