• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rehoboth Beach

SWoodyWhite

It's taken a while, but I've finally gotten der Brucer to like sushi.

Horray!

Now, if only I can get der B over his aversion to tofu.  :rolleyes:

That might be pressing your luck. :biggrin:

Thanks, this might be a place for Russ to try if he goes up north for Oyster And Etc. Shopping before Thanksgiving.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

• 1 month later...

we had a nice dinner at Celsius last night-the duck seasoned with oregano and morgaram (sp) was fabulous. Started with a nice 02 Sancerre off the list and then had the 94 Freemark Abbey Bosche CS I brought ($15 corkage with good stemware supplied). Currently, Tuesday is buy one entree get the 2nd half price (less expensive) and any full bottle $50 and under is half price plus $5. My wife's rockfish was also good with a sauce of morrels and asparagus in a light cream sauce. Appetizers were escargot in a puff pastry and baked oysters with gruyere cheese-all yummy. With a nice tip total was $115-love no tax in DE. WE may go out Saturday so any recs greatly appreciated. Happy New Year!!!

Hey, SWoody: Have you considered doing restaurant reviews for exp? This magazine (founded in 1987 as the Rehoboth Beach Gayzette) is distributed in Rehoboth, throughout Delaware and in and around the cities Rehoboth draws most of its summer crowd from--Washington, Baltimore and Philadelphia. (The town's nickname--"The Nation's Summer Capital"--is a reference to its popularity among Washingtonians, but as the years have gone by and the highway connections have improved, more and more Philadelphians--especially gay and lesbian Philadelphians--are forsaking the Jersey Shore for Rehoboth and environs.) I suspect that the mag doesn't pay worth a tinker's damn--on second thought, I know that, for I know Steve Cohen, who writes their goings-on-in-Philly column--but it might be a useful source of pocket change that would allow you to get paid for your meals out. (exp is not as slick or as elegant as its older rival, the spring-through-fall Letters from CAMP Rehoboth, but it is published year-round and more widely circulated.) You're an excellent writer and your contributions would raise the quality of writing in exp immediately.

As for me, it's been several years since my partner and I have come down to visit our Philly-turned-New York friends who have a summer place on the beach block of Maryland Avenue, and I miss Rehoboth and the wonderful dining scene. I also appreciate the tolerant attitude most folks down there have--pace that whole "Keep Rehoboth A Family Town" controversy in the late 1980s, there really is "room for all" in Rehoboth!

Since I haven't seen either of these places mentioned yet: What's your opinion of the Iguana Grill and the Purple Parrot? I haven't tried the latter yet (and see in exp that it's moving to new digs closer to the beach on Rehoboth Avenue), but the Iguana is my favorite casual dining/hangout spot in Rehoboth, hands down. I've never failed to strike up a conversation with some interesting character from well beyond the region at the Iguana's bar, and the food--heavily Southwestern-influenced--is tasty and reasonably priced.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

My wife and I went to a number of places in late September in Rehoboth... We always go to Chez la Mer, which I felt had been slipping the last few years but they have recovered a good bit once more. Still recommended IMO.

Also went to the Back Porch for the first time ever (even though we have meant to go for years) and we enjoyed our dinner there, but it was a bit noisy for my taste. Still, the food was quite good.

But, the surprise of our trip then was Eden. Eden used to be on the main drag, but they moved a block north in much bigger digs and the place is superb. It's definitely on my list to go to again next year. Highly recommended IMO.

Vinocellar

Hey, SWoody:  Have you considered doing restaurant reviews for exp? You're an excellent writer and your contributions would raise the quality of writing in exp immediately.

Thank-you for the kind words. I don't think I'd be very good as a restaurant critic, as I like to get to know the owners, not a good practice for a critic. And I'm not sure I'd be able to keep my mouth shut about faults, which isn't a good idea for a rag like exp; they usually need to keep their advertisers happy (hence the sycophantic reviews over at Camp Rehoboth). Interviewing the owners and chefs might be an idea, however...

Since I haven't seen either of these places mentioned yet:  What's your opinion of the Iguana Grill and the Purple Parrot?  I haven't tried the latter yet (and see in exp that it's moving to new digs closer to the beach on Rehoboth Avenue), but the Iguana is my favorite casual dining/hangout spot in Rehoboth, hands down.  I've never failed to strike up a conversation with some interesting character from well beyond the region at the Iguana's bar, and the food--heavily Southwestern-influenced--is tasty and reasonably priced.

Der Brucer and I didn't get over to the Iguana Grill this summer. We're looking forward to the Purple Parrot's new digs. The new space will be at 134 Rehoboth Avenue, closer to the shore and on the other side of the street. I understand that

the crazy paintjob will again be a feature, along with an expanded menu and more seating.

What's becoming of the old Purple Parrot digs? Along with an Irish-themed store next door, the lot will become a three-story hotel, with parking for tenants. This last is particularly good news, with the downtown parking shortage!

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

As long as I'm here, I'd better put in a New Years Eve report. Der Brucer and I spent the night at Cafe Zeus, (37 Wilmington Ave, Rehoboth Beach, 302 226-0400), where chef Charles Davidson did served us a marvelous six-course meal. There were appetizers of seared fois gras, chorizo-stuffed mushroom caps, and roasted Brie. There were lobster bisque and potato/shallot soup, roasted duck with a raspberry and lemon sauce, and lobster Newberg. There was prime rib and roast venison, salads with roquefort and apples and almonds, chocolate truffle mousse, and roasted pears in pastry. And the New Year was toasted in with champagne.

There was also a major glitch. Just hours before the first seating was to begin, the night's entertainment (singer and combo) called and cancelled. Fortunately, I didn't find out who the entertainers were, but John and Charles were able to get ahold of a singer who had performed at Cafe Zeus before, named Viki Dee. Was she available? Yes, and she was in town...but her keyboards weren't! And she had a broken foot! But this is what makes a trooper: a kareoke setup was found at the last minute, and even though it didn't use her own arrangements, and even though she wasn't that familiar with the kareoke machine, and even though there were probably a million other "even thoughs," she had the diners at ease in minutes. On top of which she's a damned good singer!

All right, let's make this an official plug: her website is at www.vikidee.com . I am now a fan.

A couple of nights later, we were back. Charles and John are closing down until mid-March, and it was time to clean out the fridge! Yep, it was leftovers! Of course, my own refrigerator doesn't have leftovers like his (mostly from New Year's Eve). Pretty good stuff, served buffet style. Nice way to end the season!

And to anyone at all!

We also had a great meal at Eden on New Years Day from start to finish. Pretty good wine list for the beach and they allow corkage at no charge as long as it's not on their list. Their excellent stemware brought out the best in the 94 Cakebread CS I brought in-my last one-sob. They won't be open until Valentine's day, IIRC.

Edited by mr food (log)

For me Rehoboth is the beach of my youth- most weekends during the summer were spent there with my parents and their friends in a group house (looking back on it, I can't believe they brought me).

As an adult, I still go to Nicola Pizza (a block or two from the boardwalk, parallel from the beach....the street name escapes me, but just ask and you'll be able to find it.) every time that I'm in the area for their Nicoboli's. The place is very mom and pop, but these things are just great- think of a pizza turned into a calzone, with whatever you can imagine inside. Nothing fancy, but v. yummy. To make it even better, they deliver and half-bakes can be bought to take home.

• 3 months later...

Some friends have been kind and foolish enough to invite the Busboys to the greater Rehoboth metro area -- that is to say, Dewey -- for Memorial Day Weekend. Since I get bored with lying in the sun and watching the lifeguards pull my kids out of the surf, I'll probably spend most of one day screwing around in the kitchen, cooking dinner for ten or so.

I usually shop at the beach by driving randomly up and down Route 1, and stopping at whatever produce markets and seafood shacks I stumble across, many of which have become vaguely familiar over the years. This time, however, it occurs to me that the many veteran food-oriented beachgoers on this site might be able to provide recco's not only for bars and restaurants, but for fresh meat, seafood and produce, as well (are you listening SWoodyWhite?).

Any suggestions will be appreciated, particularly (but not necessarily) those oriented towards the southern end of the Funplex, as I am sure traffic will be nightmarish.

Oh, yeah -- a decent wine shop is always appreciated.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I usually shop at the beach by driving randomly up and down Route 1, and stopping at whatever produce markets and seafood shacks I stumble across, many of which have become vaguely familiar over the years.  This time, however, it occurs to me that the many veteran food-oriented beachgoers on this site might be able to provide recco's not only for bars and restaurants, but for fresh meat, seafood and produce, as well (are you listening SWoodyWhite?).

Any suggestions will be appreciated, particularly (but not necessarily) those oriented towards the southern end of the Funplex, as I am sure traffic will be nightmarish.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate this Memorial Weekend for you Charles!

I am down most weekends, but I always try to take with me what I need, as the traffic is getting horrendous, and I hate spending beachtime stuck in a grocery store, or worse, the car. I am sure Woody will pop in, and I am interested to know if there's something new I have missed or should try.

For produce, being on the southern side as you will be, go to Bozie's, on the "bypass". You might even be able to walk, or ride a bike at least, from whereever you'll be in Dewey. McQuay's by the drawbridge also has produce.

For seafood, I used to go exclusively to Brown's, also on the bypass, but sadly, after many years, they shut down last year. Rehoboth Seafood, (also same bypass 1B) has been ok. The Big Fish Grill opened a market right next door, with both seafood and meat a few yrs back, which a lot of people like. They are not cheap, but the quality looks good. Just be sure to doublecheck your bill, as I have been overcharged THREE different times, which makes me very suspicious ( :angry: people on vaca aren't paying attention?) One time I sent my daughter there on her bike for lemons. I called ahead just to make sure they had them and the guy said 'yes, 3/$1.' I gave her a five, and she came home without change saying the lemons had been $5. I called the guy back, he said "whoops, oh well, sorry"... I got in the car and drove back to get the change, which really surprised him when I showed up. Needless to say, I now usually just bring something fresh from Annapolis with me.

For wine, lots of liquor stores around, closest for you is Dewey Beach liquors, right on the main drag. They do keep a pretty good selection of chilled whites on hand (and are open late!!!). For good prices, and big selection, I frequently stock up at Atlantic Liquors out on Rt 1 (on right coming in). With no tax, I frequently stock up on cases there. But, for a great selection with less common choices, and knowledgable people, hit the little store right on Rehoboth Ave, second block I believe. I think it's S & S liquors (is that right Woody?). They have turned me on to several new things.

Definitely do try to bring what you know you will need, as traffic can really be a downer, particularly on a holiday weekend.

I am devastated, because just this last weekend when I was down, I found my wonderful little corner convenience market, the De-Lux Dairy at the end of Cullen St, where I bought all my Lewes cream, a mere one block from my house, has been torn down. Who knows what will replace it? I imagine land prices even out on the strip have skyrocketed,so maybe they just cashed in. I just pray it will continue to be a convenience store of some kind. I have gotten my morning paper there,along with thousands of last minute things, every day I have been there for the last 25,no 30 years! (writing while fighting back the tears!)

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

Please go to Coastal Wine & Spirits at the corner of Route 1 and 5 at Milton for what we think is the best wine selection in the area, and tell Sally, the owner, that Russ and Susan sent you! We both worked with her when we lived up there.

If you want a cheese selection and the service to go with it that nobody in the area can match, go to Beautiful Foods. It's in Rehoboth, at the beginning of Rehoboth Ave., on the left, soon after you have gotten off Route 1 and headed into Rehoboth. That is coming from the north. I will try to find the address, and let you know. I don't think you will be sorry, even with bad traffic.

Both of these are worth going out of your way for, or stopping when you are on your way down.

We usually went to Copp's Seafood, and always went there for clams, especially. If you take Route 24 east, from Route 1 at McDonald's, you will turn right before you get to Peddler's Village. There should be a sign. Their selection will be whatever has been freshly caught, locally.

I'm sorry to hear about the De-lux Dairy, Simdelish. That was a regular stop of mine when I lived in Rehoboth. But Busboy, do buy some Lewes Dairy Cream to use in cooking or coffee or whip it up to put on some fresh fruit or something while you're there. It's the best.

Have Fun. Just Dewey It!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Couldn't agree more about Beautiful Foods. The guys there really know their cheeses. They have a selection of only the best. They are in the next to the last strip center on the right on the way out of Rehoboth. Don't look for fancy.

Big Fish Market sells the meats and seafood that they serve in the resturant nand the quality is very good. For other cuts and seafood try the markets on either side of Nage...next to the Salvation Army Thrift Shop on Rt. 1.

Lewes Seafood is good for Lobster. They are just south of Lowes on Rt 1

Jimmy Lynn's is good for shrimp. jut below the second Wawa on Rt 1 going north.

If you want clams and find Copp's drive past about a 1/4 mile and follow the sign to "local clams".

Enjoy

As an adult, I still go to Nicola Pizza (a block or two from the boardwalk, parallel from the beach....the street name escapes me, but just ask and you'll be able to find it.) every time that I'm in the area for their Nicoboli's.  The place is very mom and pop, but these things are just great- think of a pizza turned into a calzone, with whatever you can imagine inside.  Nothing fancy, but v. yummy.  To make it even better, they deliver and half-bakes can be bought to take home.

The street name is First Street. It's just north of Rehoboth Avenue. Mom and Pop are all right in this friend of Dorothy's book--they give everyone the same friendly service and the pizzas and "Nic-o-bolis" are good--better IMO than local chain phenom Grotto Pizza. (Grotto aside: Walked past one on Pennsylvania Avenue in Wilmington the other day. Didn't venture in to try it.)

I'm hanging out with a friend tomorrow evening--he's a pediatrician at A.I. duPont Hospital for Children who also has a beach house in Rehoboth. He's invited me out to a brewpub in Media (Pa.) for their monthly gay night and has told me that the architects who designed his house will also be present. If I play my cards right, maybe this summer might be the first time back in Rehoboth in several summers. I've filed some of these tips for reference.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 2 months later...
Since I get bored with lying in the sun and watching the lifeguards pull my kids out of the surf, I'll probably spend most of one day screwing around in the kitchen, cooking dinner for ten or so. 

This time, however, it occurs to me that the many veteran food-oriented beachgoers on this site might be able to provide recco's not only for bars and restaurants, but for fresh meat, seafood and produce, as well (are you listening SWoodyWhite?).

Busboy, thanks for posting this question and thanks to all who responded.

Mrs. B and I are invited to visit friends in Rehoboth Beach next weekend. I have offered to cook one night. This thread has given me everything I need to do some shopping when I get to town.

If I come across anything of interest, I'll add to the thread in a couple of weeks.

We stayed with friends at Bethany last weekend.

They took us to their new favorite place in Rehobeth, Nage Restaurant...

It's trying to be a trendy, better than just seasonal place to dine.

Very noisy, our party of six couldn't even talk.

I found the appetizers to be very expensive, salads, $14...okay, it was haricot verts and chicken liver and lardon (really just basic bacon), topped with an egg-- and it should have been over frisee instead of basic salad mix...but I think its that expensive only for the semi imaginative ingredients.

We had truffle fries to start. Really, just take potato and sweet potato, and add a tiny bit of truffle oil, they weren't crisp enough, and slightly greasy, but they really were good!

Others had baked oysters, good...empanadas they said were good, "frogs legs-too large: meaty, but the capers and broccoli, tomatoes were oversalted, and it was obvious they were using frozen frog's legs but where do you get fresh ones, but whoever is in the kitchen has a very heavy hand with salt." That was the exact phrase with no breath taken.

"The same problem with the soft shell crabs. Oversalted, breading good, crabs meaty, salad with it was kind of superfluous, didn't make sense really, avocados were tasty, but, as a whole..."

I had the seafood sort of lobster saffron soup. Good, a tiny lobster tail, tasty scallops, clams, mussels, fish, interesting haricot verts and frisee thrown on the top, lobster saffron broth good!

The veal chop looked okay, and the breaded bass did too. But it looked like a big fish stick but it was very moist, and tasty.

We found their wine list extremely expensive for nothing wines, knowing this in advance, our party of six ordered a lovely Mumm's rose for a good price of $28, and then brought our own bottle, for which we knew we would be charged a $15 corkage fee. Worth it when we know the price of the wine is about $10, and the restaurant was charging $36 minimum...

We usually go to Big Fish, and this is of a different class. We saw an arguement about a reservation, the guy was getting really heated. We're wondering about the management, whether they need help.

Anyway, I'd say try it, but its not inexpensive!

In a strip mall at: 19730 Coastal Highway #2

www.nage.bz

(which we haven't gone to; but its on their card)

Philly Francophiles

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again to everyone who posted shopping advice. With your help, I was able to purchase everything I needed on my way into town. I got corn, tomatoes, fruit, etc. from a farmer's stand just inside the DE/MD border. The seafood came from Afishionado; the specialty groceries from Beautiful Foods; the remainder of the produce from McQuay's (several trips over the weekend, but only a block from the house).

I enjoyed my time in Rehoboth; and will comment on the following quote from Mark Sommelier

Sorry you didn't ask anyone here before you moved there. Rehoboth Beach has always sucked in the Summer. It must suck more in the Winter.

There were some things that sucked. Traffic! I could never have a weekend place that was as nerve racking to get to as our Friday afternooon/evening drive from DC. I suspect that if I had been able to arrange my life to arrive 3 or 4 hours earlier, I would have been a lot calmer when I arrived. The traffic would have been more tolerabe had I been staying longer than 2 days also.

Sticker shock! Specialty foods were all at least 30% higher than I am used to paying. Limes, for example, were 3.5 times what I pay for them (in a store very similar to where I shopped in Rehoboth) -- good thing I only needed to buy 3 dozen!

Restaurant. We had dinner Saturday at Zebra. I don't feel comfortable criticizing based on one Saturday night visit in a large party. Let's just say I was underwhelmed.

What I really liked. Once I parked the car and got onto foot or a bike, I loved the town, the homey feel and the people I saw and met.

Had my first visit been in winter, I probably would tell Mark S. that he is nuts. I suspect that if I get a chance to visit in winter, I will fall in love with the place.

Michael

edited for speling

Edited by MichaelB (log)

Had my first visit been in winter, I probably would tell Mark S. that he is nuts.  I suspect that if I get a chance to visit in winter, I will fall in love with the place.

Michael

Michael,

I used to go every summer with friends. I found that either the water was too cold or that it was infested with jellyfish. One summer our one week stay coincided with horseshoe crab moulting season - smelly crab shells all over the beach and also in the waves like flying samurai swords. The traffic, as you mention is atrocious on the weekend. Mid-week is much preferable. Once at Grotto is enough. Rehoboth did have my favorite all-time restaurant name, though. A Chinese restaurant called "Wonton Desire". :biggrin:

Mark

Michael,

I used to go every summer with friends. I found that either the water was too cold or that it was infested with jellyfish. One summer our one week stay coincided with horseshoe crab moulting season - smelly crab shells all over the beach and also in the waves like flying samurai swords. The traffic, as you mention is atrocious on the weekend. Mid-week is much preferable. Once at Grotto is enough. Rehoboth did have my favorite all-time restaurant name, though. A Chinese restaurant called "Wonton Desire".  :biggrin:

Ah, there's the big difference in our perception. The beach as a place to swim has no interest to me whatsoever. I got wet only to midcalf walking the dogs. I imagine that it does take till mid-August for the water to get very warm; and even then it wasn't overly warm.

Grabbing the dogs' tennis balls from the surf made every kitchen scrape on my hands sting like the devil. Salt water really isn't my thing -- except for providing the environment for things I like to eat.

There were some things that sucked.  Traffic!  I could never have a weekend place that was as nerve racking to get to as our Friday afternooon/evening drive from DC.  I suspect that if I had been able to arrange my life to arrive 3 or 4 hours earlier, I would have been a lot calmer when I arrived.  The traffic would have been more tolerabe had I been staying longer than 2 days also.

Well, yeah, as a resident I agree about the traffic. Particularly on Highway One, which resembles a parking lot. But that brings up the other problem: the parking! There ain't none! But, as you said later, if you can park and hoof it, things are much better.

Sticker shock!  Specialty foods were all at least 30% higher than I am used to paying.  Limes, for example, were 3.5 times what I pay for them (in a store very similar to where I shopped in Rehoboth) -- good thing I only needed to buy 3 dozen!

I'm working at one of the grocery stores now, on the highway. Prices are lower there. (Of course, that means facing the traffic on the highway, and probably losing your parking place at your home base...)

Restaurant.  We had dinner Saturday at Zebra.  I don't feel comfortable criticizing based on one Saturday night visit in a large party.  Let's just say I was underwhelmed.

Any restaurant in Rehoboth, on Saturday night during the season, faced with a large party, will not shine their best. It's too bad you couldn't have been in town for a longer stay; mid-week is a better dining experience, IMO.

What I really liked.  Once I parked the car and got onto foot or a bike, I loved the town, the homey feel and the people I saw and met.

Had my first visit been in winter, I probably would tell Mark S. that he is nuts.  I suspect that if I get a chance to visit in winter, I will fall in love with the place.

Michael

edited for speling

Most places are open through the year these days. Rehoboth is increasingly a town where people come to live, instead of stay for the weekend or a summer week. And yeah, there's the specials that the restaurants run, which can save you some bucks.

Frankly, we locals look forward to the end of the season, when we can actually get to downtown ourselves again! :laugh: There are lots of events, such as the Film Festival and the Sea Witch Festival, the Cabaret Festival...you get the idea. The town doesn't die out after the summer crowds are gone.

And the traffic is much better during the winter.

And to anyone at all!

• 1 year later...

I hope there isn't a more recent thread. If there is, my search skills bite.

Anyway, one night in Bethany -- best fine dining option is . . . ?

Two names I have heard are Sedona and The Parkway. Any thoughts on these or others? Thanks

I hope there isn't a more recent thread.  If there is, my search skills bite.

Anyway, one night in Bethany -- best fine dining option is . . . ?

Two names I have heard are Sedona and The Parkway.  Any thoughts on these or others?  Thanks

Fish On! in Lewes, which we love, has two sister restaurants in Bethany, Northeast Seafood Kitchen and Bluecoast, as well as their newest sibling, Catch 54 in nearby Fenwick. Check the menus at all three and pick the one you like best. If they are as good as Fish On! you'll have a great meal.

• 2 weeks later...

For value and quality if you're looking for seafood in RB, go to Fins, sit at the bar with Jamie and let him guide you through a delicious meal complemented by interesting wines. We've eaten at just about every restaurant in RB and this venue is consistently good AND a good value

Edited by mr food (log)