• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Alaska, Unforgettable Encounter

For Jaymes, there's no getting over Alaska . . .

+++

Be sure to check The Daily Gullet home page daily for new articles (most every weekday), hot topics, site announcements, and more.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Jaymes, enjoy yourself in Juneau. That's great writing. It should be a promotional brochure for Alaska because it's hard for me to imagine how anyone could sell Alaska better.

Michael aka "Pan"

He was proudest of the deep yellow hole he made in the snow.

Ah yes, men and snow. Some things are timeless, aren't they?

And thanks, Pan, for the compliment. I was inspired.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

That's some tasty writing, Miz Jaymes. You have achieved the impossible with this fan of yours---I will now consider Alaska as a travel destination.

And I'll find that saloon in Juneau. Let's read more from you.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Kudos from another dedicated fan.

mmmm... Does this mean that you are going to Alaska and not the heartland? Does THAT mean that we can expect more fabulous writing about Alaska?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Jaymes, congrats on your first article for TDG. And what a wonderful article it is. You clearly have the ability to conjure up visions of Alaska in readers minds, and make us want to visit there.

Well done!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 2 weeks later...

Jaymes,

Great article. I left it all in storage in Boston several years ago and came to Alaska. At one point I thought I wanted to go back so I did only to turn around and march right back to Alaska. When you're hooked, you're hooked.

I have driven on every single road in the state.......not that we have many but the drive to Deadhorse was unforgettable as was McCarthy, Chicken, Eagle, so many beautiful places. People from the Outside do not understand the pull Alaska has on us. I'm still speechless and teary-eyed every time I see the Northern Lights. Camping on the Spit in Homer or next to Denali, listening to the loons, watching the bears, moose, eagles, you are closer to nature than anywhere.

We Alaskans are a different breed.....I guess that's why we love living here.

Keep up the good writing.

nice writing. i was born and raised in alaska. there's nothing better than deep fried halibut or salmon that's just been pulled out of the water. or walking around the tidal pools pulling out all sorts of weird shellfish and popping them straight into your mouth.

mike

Edited by mikeczyz (log)

Thanks again for the compliments.....

There really is something special and different about the place, isn't there? So hard to wrap your intellect around just exactly what it is. I get all choked up when I think about it. Sniff.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.