• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vanilla Buttercream

Derek Wildstar

Which type of vanilla really depends on what you're pairing the buttercream with. The Tahitian is very floral and distinctive which tends to go better with tropical flavors like coconut and pineapple. The Madagascar is good with a broader range of ingredients and would be my choice with chocolate. Mexican might be a good match with stronger flavors like spices and coffee.

So, whatcha makin'?

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking of making a dark chocolate cake filled and frosted with a combination of vanilla and chocolate buutercream. It's a brithday cake for my wife and will also serve as the dessert for our New Year's Eve dinner party. I was also thinking of making a brown sugar vanilla buttercream (recipe from Gourmet 2000/2001) which is damn good with chocolate cake. Any thoughts?

I will take your advice and go with the Madagacar. I know the beans would be put to better use in a custard, etc., but the reality is that I don't make custard, ice cream, flan (too woggly) very often, and I'm curious about Herme's buttercream. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I am making dessert for a diffrent dinner party (only 6 pepole) in two weeks that I'm sure requires some portion of a bean. It's Herme's rice krispie treat, or something like that, that as I recall involves making a creme anglaise rice pudding molded between ladyfinger layers and surrounded by a ladyfinger band. It's not that I'm an Herme nut, but I do like to make at least one, kind of odd, pain-in-the-ass dessert a year, and he is good for that. I usually do this on NYE but too many people are coming this year (and my wife has complained that she never gets a birthday cake from me). The pudding has lemon and rice krispie candy bar pieces in it, and a chocolate sauce on top. A strange combo no doubt, but intriguing. So, any thoughts on that dessert: Tahitian or Madagascar(ian)? I want to use one of those Tahitian badboys. It looks like a sweet, fat spleef.