• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Terms We Loathe/Misuse

Bux

I agree... threads should have a conversational tone. I tend to use a lot of ... and (). I also like ain't, gonna, dunno, etc. etc. etc.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

If I say "ain't" and "y'all" and "sammich", it's because we say things like that down here.

Is "sammich" a Southern U.S. thing then?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

If I say "ain't" and "y'all" and "sammich", it's because we say things like that down here.

No. At least not in my part of the South.

We call 'em po boys :biggrin:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I see. :blink:

Well, anyway... :raz:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

tommy will never capitalize. In fact, if he started to do that we would probably bundle him off to a rehab unit. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Has anyone been reading tommy's Thoughs on a trip to Italy? :raz:

Where did "sangie" start for the sandwich part of this discussion?

I still start to seethe when I begin thoughts about stylistic, "loss of voice" issues in an editorial process, but when it is my boss and ultimately his or her submitted writing with their signature on the bottom of the document, then it is all a part the job. :rolleyes: But that, again, is work and not funtime-on-eG. So I guess my philosophy falls somewhere between not wallowing in the shortcomings of others and shivering as if fingernails scraped over a chalkboard. I suppose it all depends on the tone of the thread and/or the intensity of the discussion? :wacko:

But "sammich" is just dire.

"Sammy-poo"?

:unsure:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Though to be more accurate I should probably say he has "a well developed tongue and the roof of his mouth isn't bad either."

I think you're headed for trouble. :laugh:

Hummm.

Who is he? Exactly?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

For me, writing styles, punctuation, and colloquialisms help to identify the user. Call it "e-personality." :smile: I overlook spelling errors, as the meaning of a post can usually be inferred even with incorrect spelling.

The only affectation I can't stand is the person who cannot type a sentence but instead...has to use...a series of ellipses...with no capitalization...it makes me crazy...i belong to a mailing list with someone like this...i delete all of her posts unread...

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

This made me giggle, because I thought "sammich" was Anglo/Canadian! My English grandmother used it interchangeably with buttie, sarnie and sam, as it "Wouldst fancy a ham sam, Love?"

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

This made me giggle, because I thought "sammich" was Anglo/Canadian! My English grandmother used it interchangeably with buttie, sarnie and sam, as it "Wouldst fancy a ham sam, Love?"

Well, as far as I'm concerned, in a world where on any given day, several thousand souls, at a minimum, are deliberately torn asunder, efforts to be lighthearted are pretty damn far down on my list of 'dire' outrages.

In fact, just the opposite.

Whether or not I personally enjoy whatever wit or humor is being attempted, I continue to be cheered and inspired by whatever it is in the human spirit that allows us to keep trying.

I think of e Gullet as a casual place where I can converse freely with pals.

We all make our fair share of typos. Yes, it can be annoying. Yes, it can be fixed. But does it really matter THAT MUCH? We don't speak with perfect grammar (if we did we'd all sound rather obnoxious), so why should we be expected to type with perfect grammar in a casual environment?

Drafting a legal document is one thing, describing how I'd like to get rid of the scratch-a-frackin mouse in my kitchen is quite another.

The day someone on eGullet decides that I can't use the active & passive voice in the same paragraph or the word "sammiches" is the day I leave.

Sherri A. Jackson

The day someone on eGullet decides that I can't use the active & passive voice in the same paragraph or the word "sammiches" is the day I leave.

I don't think that will happen. At least I hope not! Who wants to wear the Spelling Police or Grammar Police hat willingly? :unsure: Although, I could be wrong about that too. :raz:

However, I have seen intense discussions, here on eG, that not knowing the difference between there and their; then and than; effect and affect (I could go on ad nauseam, just throwing up a couple, non-specific examples) doesn't do many favours to asserting effective salient points. But these are not threads about removing an unwanted mouse residing under the oven either. :wink:

Whether or not I personally enjoy whatever wit or humor is being attempted, I continue to be cheered and inspired by whatever it is in the human spirit that allows us to keep trying.

Well put, I agree wholeheartedly. I'll take my humor and decent human spirit from whatever source I can extract it from.

Very paullitable statement :biggrin:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Why would anyone who is not getting paid want to nitpick other people's spelling, grammar, punctuation and usage?

The eGCI editorial team? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I think "sammiches" and "puhsketti" (also "buhsketti") come from young children who can't pronounce the words correctly. When an adult uses these words, on purpose, it's a sort of affectation or an attempt to be cute (as in my case and often failing to come across as such :wink: ). It's no big deal and if it drives someone crazy to read it, then I'd suggest they start skipping threads or posters. C'est la Strunk!

I am not a fan of the "grammar-spelling-punctuation correctness police", either. If a poster doesn't spell correctly or perhaps doesn't write using the best language, just assume that English (english?) is a second language for them.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

:unsure: Please accept this sincere apology.I am guilty of at least two of the most controversial infractions mentioned thus far.

1: I have used the "horrifyingly unbecoming "

term sammitch :blink: .

2: I have also used ellipses :shock: .

Now,I suspect I have overindulged in my use of smilies :smile: . Sadly, I cannot even claim the excuse of english as my second language.Sorry everyone.

:unsure: Please accept this sincere apology.I am guilty of at least two of the most controversial infractions mentioned thus far.

1: I have used the "horrifyingly unbecoming "

term sammitch :blink: .

2: I have also used ellipses :shock: .

Now,I suspect I have overindulged in my use of smilies :smile: . Sadly, I cannot even claim the excuse of english as my second language.Sorry everyone.

duh. everyone knows that *two spaces* go after a period. jeesh.

now what were you saying? i was too busy feeling superior and better of myself, as i was putting you down, to pay attention to your point.

smugly,

tommy

I gave up the two spaces after a period many years ago as I judged that to be a particularly stupid affectation. But then, that was a personal choice and a current crusade. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I'm getting out of the "2 space" rule as a result of coding in HTML. Browsers ignore more than one consecutive space.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I don't know why this should be...but at least two...different people who wrote restaurants reviews for the advertising section of a local tabloid...were overfond...of ellipses...could this be...an affectation...that is copied...from someone...who once reviewed restaurants in some respectable publication...back in the fifties, perhaps...

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

tommy will never capitalize. In fact, if he started to do that we would probably bundle him off to a rehab unit. :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Has anyone been reading tommy's Thoughs on a trip to Italy? :raz:

that was Microsoft Word's fault. not capitalizing is just a little bit that i do to set myself apart from the rest here in cyberspace (although i'm clearly not the only one doing this). the fact that it annoys, offends, or bothers some is a bonus.