• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Terms We Loathe/Misuse

Bux

tommy will never capitalize. In fact, if he started to do that we would probably bundle him off to a rehab unit. :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Has anyone been reading tommy's Thoughs on a trip to Italy? :raz:

that was Microsoft Word's fault. not capitalizing is just a little bit that i do to set myself apart from the rest here in cyberspace (although i'm clearly not the only one doing this). the fact that it annoys, offends, or bothers some is a bonus.

hey! that's not fair!

i started doing this way back in 1993 for the exact same reason...

(i do also admit to not capitalizing my name on business correspondence - something about walking softly and carrying a big stick...)

that's part of my issue too, peanutgirl.

this is one of the few sites i use, where i actively go back and edit myself (mainly because people can be nitpicky here and don't really know me), but

1. I can't type

2. when my carpal tunnel decides to act up, i minimize as many keystrokes as possible.

so if you catch me on an off day, my posts look like my cat might have typed them.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, in a world where on any given day, several thousand souls, at a minimum, are deliberately torn asunder, efforts to be lighthearted are pretty damn far down on my list of 'dire' outrages.

Thanks, Pollyanna :wink:

Pollyanna, eh? How'd you like a knuckle sammich?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, in a world where on any given day, several thousand souls, at a minimum, are deliberately torn asunder, efforts to be lighthearted are pretty damn far down on my list of 'dire' outrages.

Thanks, Pollyanna :wink:

Pollyanna, eh? How'd you like a knuckle sammich?

:huh::smile::biggrin::laugh::laugh::laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I will not say anything to people who use pseudo baby talk in an effort to regain their lost cuteness, but, note the following:

ellipsis, plural ellipses (e lip seez)

ellipse, plural ellipses (e lip sez)

Ellipsis: ...

Ellipse:

ellipse.jpeg

Edited by Katherine (log)

Okay, just finished reading everything. I could swear we've had this discussion before, but want to add here, that sometimes we write as quickly as we think, and if 'they're' comes out as 'their' (something I don't think I'm guilty of, but can't think of a better example right now) it might also be speed which is at fault. Plus not caring enough to edit/proofread. If I see something I've written poorly, I may edit it depending on my mood. Sometimes I just don't care enough.

Me? I question a lot of my doubles and spelling. Not always enough to lift a finger.

Me too. But then it depends on my mood. The other day I was distracted by my roomie making up some yummy gimlets while relaying his hysterical day at work while I was trying very hard to finish a somewhat serious post on my beloved salmon and typed "femail" for female. :wacko:

I finished the gimlet, called my neighbour and all of us quickly proceeded out the door to an 'in the biz' happyhour of cocktails and appetizers. Meh. Left the typo. It was too serious anyway.

i generally don't proofread my posts. i'm one of those idiots who types about 80 words a minute (30 wpm if i use capitals), and really can't be bothered doing anything other than reviewing as i type. but, if i go back and see an error later on, i might correct it. but i usually leave them so people will think i'm stupid.